SWVa Top 20

BlueDevil4Life2008

My G-Men will be down this year because we are back to relying on "FOOTBALL" players to really have a team. Granted our football players are athletic and will make a difference, we just won't have the basketball IQ's that we've had in the past. Young group that may have 4 sophomores in the starting lineup. The middle school group that is coming up may be special.

Far Southwest Virginia Top 20 -  December 14, 2022

1. Virginia High - Class 2  (previous  #2)

2. Gate City - Class 2 (previous #5)

3. Ridgeview - Class 2 (previous #6)

4. Graham - Class 2 (previous #3)

5. Abingdon - Class 3 (previous #1)

6. Lebanon - Class 1 (previous #11)

7. Eastside - Class 1 (previous #8)

8. Union - Class 2 (previous #7)

9. Grundy - Class 1  (previous #10)

10. Holston - Class 1 (previous #13)

11. Patrick Henry - Class 1 (previously unranked)

12. Lee - Class 2 (previous #15)

13. J.I Burton - Class 1 (previous #16)

14. Central (Wise) - Class 2 (previous #17)

15. Marion - Class 2 (previous #4)

16. Richlands - Class 2  (previous #12)

17. Tazewell - Class 2 (previous #14)

18. Twin Springs - Class 1 (previous #9)

19. John Battle - Class 2 (previous #

20. Thomas Walker - Class 1

Class 2 Rankings

1. Virginia High

2. Gate City

3. Ridgeview

4. Graham

5. Union

6. Lee

7. Central

8. Marion

9. Richlands

10. Tazewell

Class 1 Rankings

1. Lebanon

2. Eastside

3. Grundy

4. Holston

5. Patrick Henry

6. JI Burton

7. Twin Springs

8. Thomas Walker

9. Honaker

10. Chilhowie

Districts Involved In Rankings

Black Diamond - Hurley, Twin Valley, Council, Grundy

Cumberland - JI Burton, Eastside, Castlewood, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, Thomas Walker

Hogoheegee - Chilhowie, Northwood, Patrick Henry, Honaker, Lebanon, Holston, Rural Retreat

Mountain 7 - Gate City, Abingdon, Lee, Union, Ridgeview, John Battle, Central

Southwest - Marion, Virginia High, Graham, Richlands, Tazewell

On 12/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, cityofRaven said:

Richlands boy's aren't even a Top 20 basketball team in Tazewell County. 

I'd put them around 25th behind the Boissevain Volunteer Fire Department and the Frog Level Drunk Dribblers. 

They moved up to 25th.  The Boissevain Fire Department had to burn their backboard during training drills. 

On 12/14/2022 at 9:48 AM, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Far Southwest Virginia Top 20 -  December 14, 2022

1. Virginia High - Class 3  (previous  #2)

2. Gate City - Class 2 (previous #5)

3. Ridgeview - Class 2 (previous #6)

4. Graham - Class 2 (previous #3)

5. Abingdon - Class 3 (previous #1)

6. Lebanon - Class 1 (previous #11)

7. Eastside - Class 1 (previous #8)

8. Union - Class 2 (previous #7)

9. Grundy - Class 1  (previous #10)

10. Holston - Class 1 (previous #13)

11. Patrick Henry - Class 1 (previously unranked)

12. Lee - Class 2 (previous #15)

13. J.I Burton - Class 1 (previous #16)

14. Central (Wise) - Class 2 (previous #17)

15. Marion - Class 2 (previous #4)

16. Richlands - Class 2  (previous #12)

17. Tazewell - Class 2 (previous #14)

18. Twin Springs - Class 1 (previous #9)

19. John Battle - Class 2 (previous #

20. Thomas Walker - Class 1

Class 2 Rankings

1. Virginia High

2. Gate City

3. Ridgeview

4. Graham

5. Union

6. Lee

7. Central

8. Marion

9. Richlands

10. Tazewell

Class 1 Rankings

1. Lebanon

2. Eastside

3. Grundy

4. Holston

5. Patrick Henry

6. JI Burton

7. Twin Springs

8. Thomas Walker

9. Honaker

10. Chilhowie

Districts Involved In Rankings

Black Diamond - Hurley, Twin Valley, Council, Grundy

Cumberland - JI Burton, Eastside, Castlewood, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, Thomas Walker

Hogoheegee - Chilhowie, Northwood, Patrick Henry, Honaker, Lebanon, Holston, Rural Retreat

Mountain 7 - Gate City, Abingdon, Lee, Union, Ridgeview, John Battle, Central

Southwest - Marion, Virginia High, Graham, Richlands, Tazewell

Twin Springs beat Patrick Henry by about 20 ...

I saw in the paper that Cloudland played Patrick Henry the night before.  Patrick Henry may not have been as strong as they could be.  You may be correct and I may be incorrect but for now Patrick Henry has more good wins.  We will find out what Twin Springs has when they host Lee on Saturday. 

Virginia High is the best team in far Southwest Virginia right now by a mile.  Anyone who says they are not really do not give them the respect they deserve.  They lost to a Tennessee High team by 5 I believe.  A Tennessee High team that pretty much destroyed Dobyns Bennett in Viking Hall. I believe they play Abingdon tonight.  If they play fast and go at the big guys, Ramsey and Osborne, they should easily beat the Falcons by 10-15 in my opinion.  Virginia High is way better than most want to believe in these parts. 

49 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Virginia High is the best team in far Southwest Virginia right now by a mile.  Anyone who says they are not really do not give them the respect they deserve.  They lost to a Tennessee High team by 5 I believe.  A Tennessee High team that pretty much destroyed Dobyns Bennett in Viking Hall. I believe they play Abingdon tonight.  If they play fast and go at the big guys, Ramsey and Osborne, they should easily beat the Falcons by 10-15 in my opinion.  Virginia High is way better than most want to believe in these parts. 

George Wythe dominated them 

22 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Va high is athletic once again but other than #1 I think it was, they can't shoot outside the paint.   The big lineup for Abingdon was too much for them.   Each time abingdon went 3 guards, va high was able to close the gap but the only way they could guard the big lineup was to foul.   

Graham will be alright but they’re not the Graham they were when they played Gate City & Mac McClung. I’m not sure they can win SWD. I could be wrong but I don’t see them making a lot of noise but we may know more after this week. I think they play George Wythe & Bluefield. 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham will be alright but they’re not the Graham they were when they played Gate City & Mac McClung. I’m not sure they can win SWD. I could be wrong but I don’t see them making a lot of noise but we may know more after this week. I think they play George Wythe & Bluefield. 

They play GW on Thursday and Bluefield on Friday.  I think they have Martinsville next week. Graham will have a young starting group.  1 freshman and 4 sophomores, I believe.  Despite the youth, they should win more then they lose, but a very tough schedule to open up the season for such a young group. I would favor V-High to win the district.  Good looking future for Graham in the upcoming years.  Middle school has a lot of talent too. This year will be a learning curve for the young G men.

Playing for fun this year guys in Class 2.  Sadly.......so is Radford.   Radford is far better than anyone in D this year, but it's not much fun as a fan knowing they will face the Richmond All-Stars.  Still, it's fun for the kids and they will not miss a beat, but as a fan, it's almost like going through the motions for 25 or 28 games before the inevitable. 

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

New top 5 for 12/23

AA Region D

1. GC

2. Va High

3. Ridgeview

4. Graham

5. Battle

A Region D

1. Chilhowie

2. Twin Springs

3. Lebanon

4. Eastside

5. Burton

No way chilhowie is the best team in the region. Not even close. If anyone says a team other than ts or lebanon is the best they are lying to you. 

42 minutes ago, Stelley said:

No way chilhowie is the best team in the region. Not even close. If anyone says a team other than ts or lebanon is the best they are lying to you. 

Chilhowie has 4 wins over AA schools and their only loss is to a AAA school. 

• 2 weeks later...

NY 2023 rankings

2D

1. Gate City

2. Va High

3. Graham

4. Ridgeview

5. Central

1D

1. Lebanon 

2. Twin Springs

3. Chilhowie

4. Eastside

5. Honaker 

I think one could reasonably rank Lebanon #1 in 2D as well right now. Still somewhat early in the season but Honaker beating 2D Central and RV in the tourney only to get manhandled by Lebanon shows that maybe I’ve underestimated the Pioneers all year.