George Wythe vs Riverheads

Gridiron60

8 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

You can count on seeing Riverheads come playoff time . Not saying they win it all but 2A will know they are for real !

2A already knows, Riverheads had their hands full with a Tazewell team that has been good, but wasnt that good or that physical. Wait till the Gladiators gets ahold of Graham, or the top M7 teams. 

We can come back and revisit this after Saturday but GW got demolished by Union in a preseason scrimmage, not competitive at all and Union lost in round 1.

59 minutes ago, redtiger said:

2A already knows, Riverheads had their hands full with a Tazewell team that has been good, but wasnt that good or that physical. Wait till the Gladiators gets ahold of Graham, or the top M7 teams. 

We can come back and revisit this after Saturday but GW got demolished by Union in a preseason scrimmage, not competitive at all and Union lost in round 1.

The gap between Class 1 and Class 2 has widened in the past 5 years. Grundy, George Wythe, Galax, and PH Glade Spring were all defeated with some measure of comfort by the Class 2 schools on their schedule with the exception of Galax beating Glenvar in week 1. Those two programs went in opposite directions as the season progressed. Galax wouldn't have played Glenvar inside three scores if that game were played in November. 

Riverheads will make the playoffs in Class 2 but they are nowhere near guaranteed to advance. They won't get a buy in week 1 of the Class 2 playoffs either. 

20 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Riverheads 35-6. I've seen the show too long. Nothing against Gw but Riverheads is and has been a different animal in Class 1.

well its because they are a 2A school so they should dominate. next year RH will be brought back to reality

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

If memory serves, GW had a slim lead (like 1 point) at the half or after the first drive of the 2nd half before both teams started going with their 2nd units. I could be wrong, however....I missed the benefit game. @Union_Fan may be able to tell you more about that, but I don't think we got demolished in any way, shape, or form. 

Either way, I can't put a lot of stock into a benefit game 3 and a half months ago lol

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

No we didn't we were beating union until we pulled our starters after the first series in the third and they left there's in until they took the lead then pulled theirs. FACTS

9 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

If memory serves, GW had a slim lead (like 1 point) at the half or after the first drive of the 2nd half before both teams started going with their 2nd units. I could be wrong, however....I missed the benefit game. @Union_Fan may be able to tell you more about that, but I don't think we got demolished in any way, shape, or form. 

Either way, I can't put a lot of stock into a benefit game 3 and a half months ago lol

GW gave Union all they wanted when it was 1s vs 1s. The final score looked better for Union because the Bears had a lot more depth, very talented 9th graders at that. I thought the 1s vs 1s was very, very even myself. I bragged on GW quite a bit on here after that benefit game.

16 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

No we didn't we were beating union until we pulled our starters after the first series in the third and they left there's in until they took the lead then pulled theirs. FACTS

Way I hear it they mixed in a lot of 2s with their 1s the entire scrimmage. Demolished might not have been the right wording, but GW wouldn't have been able to hang 1s v 1s. 

The gap between 1A and 2A in regions C and D is huge. Look at Grundy getting stomped by Central, who got bounced in round 1. Not trying to knock GW, they obviously have a really good team but the competition level just isnt the same. 

23 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Way I hear it they mixed in a lot of 2s with their 1s the entire scrimmage. Demolished might not have been the right wording, but GW wouldn't have been able to hang 1s v 1s. 

The gap between 1A and 2A in regions C and D is huge. Look at Grundy getting stomped by Central, who got bounced in round 1. Not trying to knock GW, they obviously have a really good team but the competition level just isnt the same. 

well if you want to play ifs and buts here. we where down 3 starters against graham and down to a third string guard on offense. if you have jollay in at safety (out with broken collar bone)  who is about the surest tackler as their is in the area he would have met tydrez in the hole not saying he could have changed anything on the other big run but the hole wouldnt have been 8 feet wide to gallop through. then other jollay who made a great play on tydrez coming across the d to bring him down only to have tydrez does what he does and made a better play keeping his body off the ground "mere inches away" only to get up and house it. hell you make those two plays its 13-7 graham. But as we all know you we could play ifs and buts all day. final was 27-7 and if you ask most people from graham GW was their most physical game to date! they have a punchers chance

54 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

GW gave Union all they wanted when it was 1s vs 1s. The final score looked better for Union because the Bears had a lot more depth, very talented 9th graders at that. I thought the 1s vs 1s was very, very even myself. I bragged on GW quite a bit on here after that benefit game.

Thanks man....I distinctly remember following your updates that night, hence the tag. You were my eyes that night for that one lol

6 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I think GW absolutely has a chance this Saturday , hope they bring the title back to SWVA

Anyone always has a chance. Thats why they play. Every game of every sport i ever played i always felt i could win. But its just not likely at all with GW vs Riverheads 

But what really makes Riverheads so dominate? Ive watched them quite a bit through the years. Theyre not overly athletic. Many times they have the fewer athletes. They usually have some big strong kids on the line, but many times so does the other team. Does it really come down to coaching? Well new coach this year is that right? If so, then did he just benefit from the coaching up of kids of the last guy that got all the credit? 

I think its just a numbers game. For the most part Riverheads just has more blockers than the D has defenders until they get a couple yards past the line of scrimmage. How do u overcome that on defense? Completely stack one side? Then they call an audible to the other side and go untouched? 

Apparently not many coaches have figured it out. I think if i see in the first series or two theyre gonna run at will, id tell the kids just go for the strip 😆. Wat u got to lose? 

It'll be a tall task for the Maroons, but would like to see them figure it out 

27 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

But what really makes Riverheads so dominate?

Mark Dixon has said many times, Casto understands line play better than any high school coach he's come across. Not only what Casto wants his kids to accomplish with line play, but he understands the opponents line play better than the opposing coaching staff. He knows what they tend to do and counters against it. Add in the sheer numbers they produce within the football program and a strength program that is second to none, it's a recipe for success. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Mark Dixon has said many times, Casto understands line play better than any high school coach he's come across. Not only what Casto wants his kids to accomplish with line play, but he understands the opponents line play better than the opposing coaching staff. He knows what they tend to do and counters against it. Add in the sheer numbers they produce within the football program and a strength program that is second to none, it's a recipe for success. 

He was a master of tweaking a very little and getting alot out of it. 
 West is the best is correct they get so many people to the pointing attack that it overwhelms the defenders and then when they get past the line of scrimmage their backs are extremely hard to bring down. They run hard!

Also, Riverheads was never behind anyone in 1A when it comes to weightroom work.  It seems like they are loaded with kids 185-235 pounds.  Like said above, not necessarily the fastest team but with their scheme and strength it was too much for most teams to handle.  It was probably the only time Galax was outmatched with muscle was when they faced RH.

2 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

He was a master of tweaking a very little and getting alot out of it. 
 West is the best is correct they get so many people to the pointing attack that it overwhelms the defenders and then when they get past the line of scrimmage their backs are extremely hard to bring down. They run hard!

Yes, u watch their film and a lot of times they have at least 2 lineman pulling. Then sometimes add the 2 in the backfield or the QB turning to block and u have 5 blockers on 2 or 3 defenders until u get past the LoS. Ive rarely seen teams pull one lineman much less multiple. Definitely gotta have quick big boys that are in shape. Would definitely be fun to coach against that and face the challenge as a coach 

13 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Also, Riverheads was never behind anyone in 1A when it comes to weightroom work.  It seems like they are loaded with kids 185-235 pounds.  Like said above, not necessarily the fastest team but with their scheme and strength it was too much for most teams to handle.  It was probably the only time Galax was outmatched with muscle was when they faced RH.

Other than the 2016 season when Galax was ridiculously young, I thought Galax matched them strength for strength but couldn't hold up for 4 quarters because of the seemingly unlimited supply of players Riverheads can put on the field. Galax didn't have the depth to stay as fresh as Riverheads and got worn down as the game progressed. I would say the exactl same thing about the 2018 Chilhowie team. They matched up well starter for starter but couldn't match the depth. 

@sixcat Riverheads lost to state champion Giles in 2013 in the semis. And we will see soon enough if they compete in 2A. May not win another title but there are about 30 other schools in 2A that couldn’t sniff the limited success the Gladiators had during that 4 year run the first time. 

In general I have met a pile of good folk from SWVA and enjoy keeping up with a few of the teams but the droning on about numbers and how this team couldn’t compete in 2A is comical to anyone that has seen or played us. We had to schedule Lord Botetout the last two years because no 2A or 3A schools closer would play. Again we may not win Saturday or ever again but I would argue our record during that 4 year run against all but a handful of teams stacks up decent.

Either way I enjoy most of the banter and look forward to see some good football on Saturday out of all four teams. 

2 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

@sixcat Riverheads lost to state champion Giles in 2013 in the semis. And we will see soon enough if they compete in 2A. May not win another title but there are about 30 other schools in 2A that couldn’t sniff the limited success the Gladiators had during that 4 year run the first time. 

In general I have met a pile of good folk from SWVA and enjoy keeping up with a few of the teams but the droning on about numbers and how this team couldn’t compete in 2A is comical to anyone that has seen or played us. We had to schedule Lord Botetout the last two years because no 2A or 3A schools closer would play. Again we may not win Saturday or ever again but I would argue our record during that 4 year run against all but a handful of teams stacks up decent.

Either way I enjoy most of the banter and look forward to see some good football on Saturday out of all four teams. 

I think there are going to be some surprises on both sides next year.  People will realize RH is really that good and RH is going to see some tougher teams that they wouldn't normally play as well.