George Wythe vs Riverheads

Gridiron60

20 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I understand that but regardless of how well Grayson does they still have class 2 numbers playing in class 1 next year

And they will be ridiculed as a result, as they already have been quite extensively on this site. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. My point is that Grayson, regardless of what the ridiculous superintendent thinks, isn't going to go to 8 consecutive state championships. They will (and should) receive some ridicule for fighting so hard to play down. If we're splitting hairs, George Wythe has Class 2 numbers as well and successfully petitioned to play down. 

In my opinion, Class 1 should be for the smallest of the small schools, regardless of how many schools that turns out to be. Then divide the remaining schools evenly into 4 or 5 divisions. We don't have that at the moment. 

At the risk of getting off topic, but not expecting enough responses to stray too far, has anyone seen such a precipitous fall in enrollment over the years as Grundy? I noticed they are now smaller than Honaker according to the ADM figures. I remember a time when they were one of the largest in the region.

3 hours ago, tornado99 said:

At the risk of getting off topic, but not expecting enough responses to stray too far, has anyone seen such a precipitous fall in enrollment over the years as Grundy? I noticed they are now smaller than Honaker according to the ADM figures. I remember a time when they were one of the largest in the region.

Its across all of Buchanan Co. late 80s Garden was a D2 school, now Garden and Whitewood (admittedly always a small enrollment school) are under 200 students. Mid 90s Grundy had an enrollment of around 1,000, now they're under 400. Hurley as late as the mid 90s was a D2 school which would have put their enrollment in the 325 range at minimum, now its well under 200. Council has maintained a slow decline but no where near what other parts of the county have seen.

Dickenson Co has seen a similar decline: Clintwood in the 70s had an enrollment larger than Ridgeviews today.

13 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Grayson County had in the neighborhood of 725-750 students 20 years ago. I can't remember how many were in my graduating class in 1992 but it was significantly higher than it is now. They have fallen off about as dramatically as anyone I can think of. They still have Class 2 numbers but they have lost a large percentage of students. According to the Virginia Department of Education website, Grayson County had 701 students in 2003-2004 school year. They have 465 for the 2022-2023 school year. 2003-2004 is as far back as the data goes.

The county as a whole has lost a lot of child-rearing population as well. A lot of retired implants from out of state buying cheap land while the locals leave the area to raise their families. 

4 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Does anyone know if I want to go to watch both games I have to buy tickets for each game separately? 

last time I went up if you stayed in the stadium it was only 1 fee but you had to pay twice if you left. Galax and Riverheads may be a fast game due to Riverheads style and that means a LONG break between games. If I drive up this year I may go grab some food between games.

Thanks for the facts redtiger and sixcat. I knew enrollments have been steadily declining, but those numbers in those particular areas are just shocking! It would be interesting to know where most have gone, although I imagine Abingdon and Tri-Cities for Buchanan County and Mount Airy-Winston-Salem for Grayson.

3 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Thanks for the facts redtiger and sixcat. I knew enrollments have been steadily declining, but those numbers in those particular areas are just shocking! It would be interesting to know where most have gone, although I imagine Abingdon and Tri-Cities for Buchanan County and Mount Airy-Winston-Salem for Grayson.

I know quite a lot of Grayson County graduates that are raising their families in Charlotte, Mount Airy, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Abingdon, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Radford and Roanoke. I know a few in Richmond and Fredericksburg. 

All 6 will be live but the announcers won’t know the teams very well other than their pregame packet that they get. I suggest finding a local radio station from the team you most closely follow that’s steaming it if you want a more personalized account of the game. The NFHS guys are decent but there is definitely a disconnect at times since they don’t know the kids. 

2 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Does anyone know if I want to go to watch both games I have to buy tickets for each game separately? 

I’ve been to every Class 1 and Class 2 state game the last 10 years (except for the Spring Covid season) and have only had to pay for one game because I stayed inside the stadium after the first game. However, with the VHSL going digital for the tickets I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked everyone to leave the stadium after the Class 1 game and purchase an online ticket for the Class 2 game. 

3 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I think Class 1 is hard capped, and the remaining are divided equally. Either way, it indicates frequent movements at the fringes.

Currently there is a hard cap for class 1, but there won't be moving forward with the next cycle that starts this fall.  Classes will be divided equally by 6, or as close to equal as they can get.  Not a great setup for true class 1 schools that have nowhere to go.  When schools consolidate, the only hope to keep the larger schools (Riverheads, Lebanon, etc) out of class 1 will be to hope that they keep adding schools up the state.

22 hours ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Is Grayson County going to be the same as what most consider Riverheads to be? They definitely have class two numbers next year and will be a damn good football team next year, so if Grayson makes a run next year and wins it all will they have an asterisk bedside their name as well?

Yes most definitely. Everyone should put an asterisk beside their name on the schedule indicating they are a Class 2 school playing schools half their size. Very cowardly move on their part.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:37 AM, sixcat said:

Anybody can have a talented crop of kids come through and make a run to Salem. See Chilhowie, Eastern Montgomery, Altavista, King William, Gretna, etc.

Riverheads has never failed to reach Salem since dropping down to Class 1 in 2015. That suggests something is wrong with the situation. 

Chilhowie is one of the bigger Class 1 schools. They had a once in a lifetime team a few years back that lost to Riverheads in back to back state championship games. 

22 hours ago, redtiger said:

Since enrollment figures are being thrown around, the March 2018 numbers are 

Graham 510, Grayson 489, Riverheads 447 

Three schools that are all basically the same size. The difference here is, like them or not, Graham isn't crying about their situation.

Awesome! You are exactly right. I admire what Graham has accomplished. They have become of one of the most consistent programs in the whole state. They are going to be bringing home another state championship trophy come Saturday.

22 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Chilhowie had a once in a lifetime team a few years back that lost to Riverheads in back to back state championship games. Other than those two years they have not been overly impressive. Four losing seasons out of the past nine including an 0-10 record this fall. 

The same can be said for East Mont, Altavista, and Gretna. Which is why I mentioned them all. 

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

In looking through the Virginia Department of Education website, I have found some interesting numbers.

Total enrollment
Grayson County = 465
Riverheads = 464
George Wythe = 463
Galax = 379
Grundy = 355

Just shows that Grayson and GW should be in class 2 with Riverheads next year.

22 hours ago, sixcat said:

In looking through the Virginia Department of Education website, I have found some interesting numbers.

Total enrollment
Grayson County = 465
Riverheads = 464
George Wythe = 463
Galax = 379
Grundy = 355

I will point out, Riverheads is losing enrollment but in a very different way than virtually anyone else based on the VADoE data. Data that the state uses to determine per-pupil tax revenue distribution to each school division. 

Riverheads had a very consistent enrollment from 2003 through 2013, hovering around 525 students with very little fluctuation. Then dropped suddenly to 465 where it has remained remarkably consistent ever since 2013. To me, this suggests a shift in the county school division boundaries that determines which students go to what school rather than a decline in population. According to the data, Augusta County had 10,770 students in 2003, 10,755 in 2010 and 10,777 in 2013 (the year they dropped to Class 1).

Every other school listed above has seen a steady decline year after year. Some more drastic than others but still, a steady decline year after year.