Scholarship Offers

KevinG

• 1 month later...

So far I'm tracking Brody Jones (VHS) on a PWO to VT; I believe Sneed (Union) is a true walk-on to UVA; Beavers (RV) has VMI, Bluefield, E&H and UVA-Wise and Hill (RV) is E&H and I think UVA-Wise.  I know Connor Roberts (Graham) has Concord, Lehigh, Westminister, E&H, Bluefield.  It would be cool to have a tracker at the top of the thread that could stay and be sorted by graduation year.

Bottom line, go where you can get your education paid for and get playing time. D1 is great but it may not always be the best option for the majority of athletes. Let’s be honest, a small percentage will play past college. I think too often, kids and parents get mesmerized by D1 offers. Hopefully, all our local talent end up playing & getting a great education wherever they land. I love seeing our locals succeed no matter what level they play. 

VMI is elite.  No offense to the other schools for Beavers, but VMI is just straight up first class and elite in education and academic prowess.  To each is their own of course, but VMI is a special place.  They are some of the most coveted graduates in the country, especially if they choose to get out of the military after 4 years.  

59 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

VMI is elite.  No offense to the other schools for Beavers, but VMI is just straight up first class and elite in education and academic prowess.  To each is their own of course, but VMI is a special place.  They are some of the most coveted graduates in the country, especially if they choose to get out of the military after 4 years.  

Absolutely! I believe Fort Chiswell had a football player go there last year , maybe year before, Varney kid. VMI very much elite in comparison to others listed. 

16 hours ago, sixcat said:

I know a kid from Galax pretty well that is currently sitting on two scholarship offers. Waiting to see how applications to five other schools pan out before making a final decision. 

I misspoke yesterday. Sixcat regrets the error!

This kid has been accepted into 3 of the 7 schools in which they have applied. Two have offered scholarships. One full and the other at roughly 80%. Neither of those schools are likely to be the choice at the end of the day but the offers are flattering. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, redtiger said:

The kid has far greater ability than those schools imo

Right does ETSU not recruit any swva kids not that I think that’s his best option just curious 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:14 PM, SwvaOG said:

So far I'm tracking Brody Jones (VHS) on a PWO to VT; I believe Sneed (Union) is a true walk-on to UVA; Beavers (RV) has VMI, Bluefield, E&H and UVA-Wise and Hill (RV) is E&H and I think UVA-Wise.  I know Connor Roberts (Graham) has Concord, Lehigh, Westminister, E&H, Bluefield.  It would be cool to have a tracker at the top of the thread that could stay and be sorted by graduation year.

Cannon Hill has an official D1 offer from Army

Tazewell’s Cassius Harris signed last month with Richmond & Ricky Compton has committed to Ferrum 

Princeton’s QB got a PWO offer from WVU

On 1/26/2023 at 4:56 PM, Duke2015 said:

Right does ETSU not recruit any swva kids not that I think that’s his best option just curious 

Part of the reason there is little to no support or interest from the SWVA folks.  You would never know there is a D-1 football program in the Tri-Cities.  I think they should look to bring on 3-4 kids a year either scholarship or PWO.  

On 1/25/2023 at 12:12 PM, Jags52 said:

I would love to see Roberts in Blue and Gold! Dude was a monster at the high school level and I think he would transition to D2 easily.

Me, too.  Emory needs more of focus on SWVA as well.  They been historically too reliant on that Richmond and central VA talent.  They should be about 15-20% local. Imagine if they landed Roberts (DE), Beavers and Harris (WR), Jones (LB/QB) and Hill (LB) this year.  

On 1/27/2023 at 8:25 PM, SwvaOG said:

Me, too.  Emory needs more of focus on SWVA as well.  They been historically too reliant on that Richmond and central VA talent.  They should be about 15-20% local. Imagine if they landed Roberts (DE), Beavers and Harris (WR), Jones (LB/QB) and Hill (LB) this year.  

Pretty crazy that the football team has very little SWVA talent but both men's and women's basketball teams has plenty of it.

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Gage Sawyers of Graham gets offer from E & H. One of the best athletes on Graham squad this year. 

Emory and Henry might be getting their best football recruit. He's D1 AA (FCS) or small FBS (mid major) in my opinion. E&H is getting gold with this recruit if he ends up there.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Emory and Henry might be getting their best football recruit. He's D1 AA (FCS) or small FBS (mid major) in my opinion. E&H is getting gold with this recuit if he ends up there.

I couldn’t agree more. He didn’t get a lot of the spotlight but he’s a solid player all the way around. I’m not saying anything changes but had he not been injured against King William, the game might have at least been closer. The past two seasons, he’s improved tremendously. He’s workhorse & has some wheels on him. 

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Gage Sawyers of Graham gets offer from E & H. One of the best athletes on Graham squad this year. 

Why would he want to go to Ellen & Helen? Has 3 options, Bluefield U., Concord, Bluefield State, in his backyard plus UVA-Wise. Could even try a walk on at ETSU. Ellen & Helen, always been tooooo snobbish, ever hear of a place called “Abington” and now getting too politically correct according to some grads.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:14 PM, SwvaOG said:

I see where people have signed today. Beavers sign anywhere?