Scholarship Offers

KevinG

4 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Why would he want to go to Ellen & Helen? Has 3 options, Bluefield U., Concord, Bluefield State, in his backyard plus UVA-Wise. Could even try a walk on at ETSU. Ellen & Helen, always been tooooo snobbish, ever hear of a place called “Abington” and now getting too politically correct according to some grads.

He could walk on at ETSU in my opinion and have a scholly by December the first semester.  Only my opinion.  I think he was the best all around football player on the Graham football team this year and that is with Roberts and Clements.  Just my opinion.

I’m sure E&H is a great school and it appears their football program is taking off a bit since the move to d-2. I’m not sure I could have turned down the offers to West Point. Graduation from there with successful service is pretty much a guaranteed 6 figure or more income for life.

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

I’m sure E&H is a great school and it appears their football program is taking off a bit since the move to d-2. I’m not sure I could have turned down the offers to West Point. Graduation from there with successful service is pretty much a guaranteed 6 figure or more income for life.

I think he’s good enough to play at west point but he’s probably guaranteed to see the field 90% of the time at emory. As far as  education goes both are pretty damn good compared to other schools. Being in the service with that degree looks a lot better on a job resume when it’s all said and done however. 

10 hours ago, generallyspeaking said:

As far as  education goes both are pretty damn good compared to other schools.

I have to disagree here.

Payscale ranks West Points Return On Investment at #4 in the United States with an average base salary index of $118k. Emory & Henry is ranked #1841 with an average base salary index of $66k.

Niche gives West Point an academic grade of A+ and Emory & Henry an academic grade of C+.

West Point is elite. E&H simply is not. Fine school. Nothing wrong with a degree from E&H but it's not in the same galaxy as West Point. 

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Yeah West Point is on another level from anyone around here.  But also theres a lot of demands that go into it outside of football that I can understand why some would be more apprehensive about.  

This is true. There is a lot of sacrifice that goes into anything with the military.  After doing a few years with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I can certainly appreciate that. 

1 hour ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Not all offers are committable. 

Great pull for E&H yesterday, All-State receiver, linemen with a Lehigh offer, and a LB/RB with an Army offer.

It looks like the move to D-2 will pay some dividends soon for them. 

All military academies are elite.  Some of the most highly coveted graduates in the USA.  Employers know that if a kid can get through that for 4 years and have that kind of discipline from about 18-22 or 19 to 23, it's impressive.  Not to mention, the military service of 4 years.  These kids are develop leadership and team building skills that just simply aren't matched hardly anywhere, and the level of self discipline is clearly there after 8 years of proof.  It's not just Westpoint (Army), Air Force or the Naval Academy.  Citadel, VMI, are equally impressive as well as Virginia Tech's Corp of Cadets and Georgia Southern's Corps.  The academics for the military academies is just crazy tough, and not to mention, physical training and all the military stuff that goes in addition to the studying.  If you get a degree from one of these institutions, the odds are you are going to be set for life financially.  Exceptions always apply of course, but by in large, it holds true.

Looks like EHC got Prioleau from Radford as well.  That’s four impact kids from the SWVA footprint (if we are including Radford).  So, they got the majority of the SWVA footprint that are playing college football.  It will be interesting to see how the D-1 walk-ons do.  There is always the argument of D-2 playing time vs D-1 redshirting. 

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Looks like EHC got Prioleau from Radford as well.  That’s four impact kids from the SWVA footprint (if we are including Radford).  So, they got the majority of the SWVA footprint that are playing college football.  It will be interesting to see how the D-1 walk-ons do.  There is always the argument of D-2 playing time vs D-1 redshirting. 

Which prioleau?

• 1 month later...

On 2/3/2023 at 12:00 AM, SwvaOG said:

On that topic, with transferring to higher level programs being what it is now would going to a D2 and playing for a year lead to better positioning as a Sophomore than redshirting and potentially getting buried on the depth chart?  

Idk, just curious to see how it works out

7 hours ago, redtiger said:

On that topic, with transferring to higher level programs beimg what it is now would going to a D2 and playing for a year lead to better positioning as a Sophomore than redshirting and potentially getting burried on the depth chart?  

With the transfer portal being what it is, I wonder also.  Coaches have to keep their eyes everywhere now. 

12 hours ago, redtiger said:

On that topic, with transferring to higher level programs beimg what it is now would going to a D2 and playing for a year lead to better positioning as a Sophomore than redshirting and potentially getting burried on the depth chart?  

I see this from a completely different perspective. Sports Illustrated did an exhaustive report not too long ago that was jarring and completely unexpected. I'm surprised it didn't get more traction.

• 54% of players who have entered the transfer portal to-date, have found a new school in which to play.
  • 8% of that 54% lost the scholarship they had at their previous school and signed with the new school as a walk-on. 
  • 41% dropped to the lower levels of NCAA and even NAIA. 
  • 5% haven't played football since entering the transfer portal.

It was exceedingly rare for a player to transfer from D2 to D1 football prior to the transfer portal. I don't see the transfer portal magically making that number increase. I actually see the reverse happening. Players not catching on to another D1 program after entering the transfer portal will drop to D1-AA or D2 and raise the level of play in those lower divisions. 

20 hours ago, redtiger said:

On that topic, with transferring to higher level programs being what it is now would going to a D2 and playing for a year lead to better positioning as a Sophomore than redshirting and potentially getting buried on the depth chart?  

Bradley Dean improved his stock for two years at UVA-Wise. He entered the transfer portal and has been contacted by multiple D1 teams, per a report. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:31 AM, sixcat said:

I have to disagree here.

Payscale ranks West Points Return On Investment at #4 in the United States with an average base salary index of $118k. Emory & Henry is ranked #1841 with an average base salary index of $66k.

Niche gives West Point an academic grade of A+ and Emory & Henry an academic grade of C+.

West Point is elite. E&H simply is not. Fine school. Nothing wrong with a degree from E&H but it's not in the same galaxy as West Point. 

I mean, my wife graduated from E&H, I graduated from Bluefield State, and I'm the breadwinner.

#HarvardOfTheAirConditionedCity

On 3/13/2023 at 1:58 AM, Wolf1207 said:

With the transfer portal being what it is, I wonder also.  Coaches have to keep their eyes everywhere now. 

Some coaches focus primarily on the portal and deemphasize high school kids.  Witnessed this first hand.