Scholarship Offers

KevinG

12 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I think Whitesburg is just outside that 50 mile radius?  Pretty sure Bears faithful complained anytime they had to go there. Lol

The one that really comes to mind is when Union played Clarke County that year in the semis.  I think that whole week, I saw posters on here angry about having to make that trip.  

Complaints about Letcher Co wasn't about the trip, but the refs we knew were waiting on us. Haha

I'll give you Clarke Co. That was a long haul. 5 1/2 hours for a semi-final was a little ridiculous. There were definitely a lot of complaints about that, but the stands/fence were packed. Guess the whining was superficial. Haha

I do like going new places. Looking forward to Science Hill next year.

On 4/17/2023 at 8:51 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Hey, I am from Dickenson County and I can tell you that Ridgeview fans are the absolute worst.

Ridgeview fans whine incessantly about officiating.  Ridgeview fans whine incessantly about playing Abingdon in anything.  (They're 3A!  They don't belong in our district!!!!)

My only beef with Union fans is they complain when it's time to travel anywhere outside of a 50 mile radius.

Ridgeview fans are quick to jump the refs, won't argue that.  No sure about the Union observation.  Now, I personally disagree with Abingdon in the M7.  A 300-student advantage is significant at the 2A level.....not as much as you move up to 3A and above.  A quick search shows that the average M7 road trip (throwing out John Battle) is around 1hour 20 minutes by car.  The opponents in the River Ridge conference are on average about 2 hours.  So, we are talking about on average of 40 minutes (of much easier highway driving mind you).  

There are some creative options available....more creative than just placing the most-resource rich school in SWVA in a lower classification.  1)  Re-zone: Push the line for Holston closer to Exit 19 (Holston is sitting at 250 kids).  You could also rezone and push some kids to Battle or Patrick Henry.  2) Abingdon play football in the River Ridge conference and (much less travel for football) and plays other sports in M7. 

I personally think that creative boundaries would allow Abingdon to stay in 2A.  Give Holston 50-75 more kids, PH gets 50-75 more kids and Battle gets a few.  Get Abingdon closer to the upper 2A limit and grant them an exception.

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Complaints about Letcher Co wasn't about the trip, but the refs we knew were waiting on us. Haha

I'll give you Clarke Co. That was a long haul. 5 1/2 hours for a semi-final was a little ridiculous. There were definitely a lot of complaints about that, but the stands/fence were packed. Guess the whining was superficial. Haha

I have heard that Letcher County is a first class shi*hole regarding officiating over the years.  There has to be something to this.  I've read multiple stuff about teams playing there over the years just getting flat-out jobbed.  For example, a guy from the visiting team breaks a 50 yard run, gets to the goal line, and a flag is then thrown back at the 40 yard line AS HE IS CROSSING the goal line.  I've never been to Letcher and haven't witnessed it personally.  Am only repeating gobs of posts I've read not just on here over the years, but also on Bluegrass Preps.

6 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Science Hill is awful.  You sit approximately two miles from the field and the PA announcer.... though he sings an amazing national anthem, he is cringe worthy as a PA announcer....

Expect to hear a lot of this next season when describing a Tyler Moon TD run:

"And Tyler is off! TO! THE! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Plus they began charging for parking this past season down at the field, so you have to park up at the actual school and walk down unless you want to pay to park.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Ridgeview fans are quick to jump the refs, won't argue that.  No sure about the Union observation.  Now, I personally disagree with Abingdon in the M7.  A 300-student advantage is significant at the 2A level.....not as much as you move up to 3A and above.  A quick search shows that the average M7 road trip (throwing out John Battle) is around 1hour 20 minutes by car.  The opponents in the River Ridge conference are on average about 2 hours.  So, we are talking about on average of 40 minutes (of much easier highway driving mind you).  

There are some creative options available....more creative than just placing the most-resource rich school in SWVA in a lower classification.  1)  Re-zone: Push the line for Holston closer to Exit 19 (Holston is sitting at 250 kids).  You could also rezone and push some kids to Battle or Patrick Henry.  2) Abingdon play football in the River Ridge conference and (much less travel for football) and plays other sports in M7. 

I personally think that creative boundaries would allow Abingdon to stay in 2A.  Give Holston 50-75 more kids, PH gets 50-75 more kids and Battle gets a few.  Get Abingdon closer to the upper 2A limit and grant them an exception.

Idk what the politics are in Washington Co but I imagine the populations of PH and Holston wouldn't mind their schools growing a little bit, and if the VHSL forced Abingdon into the River Ridge I bet those boundaries would move before the next cycle

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I have heard that Letcher County is a first class shi*hole regarding officiating over the years.  There has to be something to this.  I've read multiple stuff about teams playing there over the years just getting flat-out jobbed.  For example, a guy from the visiting team breaks a 50 yard run, gets to the goal line, and a flag is then thrown back at the 40 yard line AS HE IS CROSSING the goal line.  I've never been to Letcher and haven't witnessed it personally.  Am only repeating gobs of posts I've read not just on here over the years, but also on Bluegrass Preps.

Letcher is bad, but nothing can compare to Middlesboro, KY.

There's bias and home cooking and THEN there's Middlesboro! Flagrant cheating. No other words for it.

35 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Science Hill is awful.  You sit approximately two miles from the field and the PA announcer.... though he sings an amazing national anthem, he is cringe worthy as a PA announcer....

Expect to hear a lot of this next season when describing a Tyler Moon TD run:

"And Tyler is off! TO! THE! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Plus they began charging for parking this past season down at the field, so you have to park up at the actual school and walk down unless you want to pay to park.

Maybe they'll take it easy on us hillbillies. Haha

We'll probably get curb stomped, but at least it will be by someone new. 🙂

My beef with some of the other Union faithful would be the pedestal they put the team on. If you say they are playing a bad game then some mommas and daddies get their panties in a wad. They’ll say you’re disrespecting the team.

I support those boys. But if they play a bad game then it’s just being honest. Doesn’t mean you don’t support them any less. 

The trip to Bluefield? I don’t mind it. I’ve made worse trips. 

Middlesboro was bad. Letcher Central was bad. I abhorred Breathitt County. 

When PV played Manassas Park in 2004 for state championship the 80 Manassas Park fans that were there were a mouthy bunch. Players were a class act. 

1 hour ago, BearsFan88 said:

My beef with some of the other Union faithful would be the pedestal they put the team on. If you say they are playing a bad game then some mommas and daddies get their panties in a wad. They’ll say you’re disrespecting the team.

I support those boys. But if they play a bad game then it’s just being honest. Doesn’t mean you don’t support them any less. 

The trip to Bluefield? I don’t mind it. I’ve made worse trips. 

Middlesboro was bad. Letcher Central was bad. I abhorred Breathitt County. 

When PV played Manassas Park in 2004 for state championship the 80 Manassas Park fans that were there were a mouthy bunch. Players were a class act. 

Yes.  I’ve said before Union thinks they are Gods gift to SWVA football.  I was talking to one of the Sproles boys from RV a couple years back.  We talked about them beating Union for the first time in 2018/19, I think.  He specifically mentioned this attitude.  Gave him extra motivation and he absolutely delivered the hits that game.  
Graham doesn’t have that same arrogance, IMHO.  They gave respect to Richlands and had to fight and claw their way up to the top of the SWD and then the Region.  I think they respect their climb and position a bit more.  Now, this could just be my interactions with the fan bases but I’ve been around both enough to form this opinion. 
I’ve spoke to both coaches before and like both of them.  Good programs.  I will say that I really appreciate Unions AD and commitment to being good in every sport.  

12 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Yes.  I’ve said before Union thinks they are Gods gift to SWVA football.  I was talking to one of the Sproles boys from RV a couple years back.  We talked about them beating Union for the first time in 2018/19, I think.  He specifically mentioned this attitude.  Gave him extra motivation and he absolutely delivered the hits that game.  
Graham doesn’t have that same arrogance, IMHO.  They gave respect to Richlands and had to fight and claw their way up to the top of the SWD and then the Region.  I think they respect their climb and position a bit more.  Now, this could just be my interactions with the fan bases but I’ve been around both enough to form this opinion. 
I’ve spoke to both coaches before and like both of them.  Good programs.  I will say that I really appreciate Unions AD and commitment to being good in every sport.  

I miss the Sproles boys... Probably my favorite two Ridgeview players ever.

It’s one of the things that embarrasses me about being from Big Stone. The tendency to put the team on a pedestal. Community support is a good thing. They need our support. It’s just the inability to look at the team honestly. They also have the tendency to choke when WCYB live streams the game. No disrespect to the boys. Just honesty. 

On 4/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, SwvaOG said:

A few years ago, Abingdon completed in Conference 32 which was basically a River Ridge type district. The Roanoke schools didn’t want/like making the trip to Abingdon, especially on weeknight sports. M7 is best option for financial reasons. 

1 hour ago, go24 said:

A few years ago, Abingdon completed in Conference 32 which was basically a River Ridge type district. The Roanoke schools didn’t want/like making the trip to Abingdon, especially on weeknight sports. M7 is best option for financial reasons. 

It makes financial sense, although I don't worry about financial issues when it comes to Abingdon.  The long term fix is to rezone....but that would take money out of Abingdon's coffers.  It wouldn't be difficult to carve out  50-100 kids and rezone them to Holston.  Holston is sitting at 250-ish kids while Patrick Henry is around 350-400.  Extend Holston's footprint up closer to 81 and problem is solved.  The issue is Abingdon doesn't want to give up Watauga as a feeder school.....to much money in that area.  They want their cake and to eat it, too.  So, they get to wield that 250-300+ student advantage and collect M7 trophies.  It really shows up in the non-football sports.  Their baseball team and basketball teams aren't dependent upon football players....they have a lot of specialty kids that focus on their sport exclusively.  Meanwhile, the other schools have to have their football players play baseball and basketball to field a team.  It really isn't difficult to see how that is a significant advantage.

Moral to the story, there are solutions that don't require the other school's to "shut up and deal with it."  Take the Watauga kids and implement a lottery.....25% go to Abingdon and the rest go to Holston.  Its the same county anyways. 

On 4/18/2023 at 4:15 PM, Union_Fan said:

Letcher is bad, but nothing can compare to Middlesboro, KY.

There's bias and home cooking and THEN there's Middlesboro! Flagrant cheating. No other words for it.

I’m not sure which is worse it’s hard to forget the one possession at Letcher where Union scored around 5 TDS that all got called back.  My guess is they have the best home cooking in KY.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:21 AM, Union_Fan said:

I thought Science Hill came here next season and we traveled to Twin Springs 

19 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

They do. Sorry, when I said next year, I meant 2024.

I’m looking forward to Science Hill at Big Stone.  That’s a game I’d definitely go watch.  I’ve always wondered how M7 top teams could fare against some of the Tri-Cities schools.  

12 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I’m looking forward to Science Hill at Big Stone.  That’s a game I’d definitely go watch.  I’ve always wondered how M7 top teams could fare against some of the Tri-Cities schools.  

I hate to say it but even if Science Hill is just way down I dont see this game being close at all just off of pure numbers. Science Hill has 2,424 students compared to Unions 697. They are for sure playing one side of the ball and probably are 2 deep on both sides with no crossover. Even if Union could 2 platoon they would have zero depth. Union is going to be worn down by the end of the game even if they can keep it close in the first half. I will say this though play Science Hill will help them prepare better than playing some of the smaller class 1 schools they have in the past. You just have to have the right expectations going into a game like this.

Gate City and Daniel Boone had that home and home a few years ago and the average score was 42-7 and Boone is half the size of Science Hill

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I am very much as well! I don't know how well they will travel, but I do think it will be a great atmosphere. Barring any injuries, win, lose or draw this will be a great game for Union.

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I hate to say it but even if Science Hill is just way down I dont see this game being close at all just off of pure numbers. Science Hill has 2,424 students compared to Unions 697. They are for sure playing one side of the ball and probably are 2 deep on both sides with no crossover. Even if Union could 2 platoon they would have zero depth. Union is going to be worn down by the end of the game even if they can keep it close in the first half. I will say this though play Science Hill will help them prepare better than playing some of the smaller class 1 schools they have in the past. You just have to have the right expectations going into a game like this.

Gate City and Daniel Boone had that home and home a few years ago and the average score was 42-7 and Boone is half the size of Science Hill

On the GC/Boone games, keep in mind that GC's football program was an absolute mess, so it's not the best of comparisons.

Union did fair well against Mo West (and their 90 players), but those were really good Union teams. Science Hill and Dobyns Bennet should both be much better than they are with over 2,000 students in their buildings.

The Bear's 11 vs their 11 would be a great matchup, but, like you said, SH will bring a lot more than 11 players, and that depth will be a huge challenge.

I agree 11 vs 11 might be a good match up for a half. All I am saying is once you get to the second half and Unions 11 has played 60 snaps and Science Hills 11 has played 30 (and it may be less than that if they are subbing) it makes a huge difference. Good job to Union for challenging themselves with a tough test but I wouldnt go into it expecting a win 

23 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

21 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I am very much as well! I don't know how well they will travel, but I do think it will be a great atmosphere. Barring any injuries, win, lose or draw this will be a great game for Union.

On the GC/Boone games, keep in mind that GC's football program was an absolute mess, so it's not the best of comparisons.

Union did fair well against Mo West (and their 90 players), but those were really good Union teams. Science Hill and Dobyns Bennet should both be much better than they are with over 2,000 students in their buildings.

The Bear's 11 vs their 11 would be a great matchup, but, like you said, SH will bring a lot more than 11 players, and that depth will be a huge challenge.

Tyler Moon could score 10 TD's that game, honestly, but Carter will pull the reins before that happens.  As for their fans traveling.... they won't.  Folks in JC only care about one game and that's D-B.  They had a home playoff game against Farragut a couple of years ago that had around 100 fans total in attendance.  When Union plays at Kermit Tipton, there will be probably 5:1 ratio in BSG fans compared to JC even though the Toppers will be at home.

7 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Tyler Moon could score 10 TD's that game, honestly, but Carter will pull the reins before that happens.  As for their fans traveling.... they won't.  Folks in JC only care about one game and that's D-B.  They had a home playoff game against Farragut a couple of years ago that had around 100 fans total in attendance.  When Union plays at Kermit Tipton, there will be probably 5:1 ratio in BSG fans compared to JC even though the Toppers will be at home.

I'm hoping they'll be shell shocked at first. Too bad we don't have the train horn anymore. Haha

Does Tyler Moon have some highlights to watch?

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JtrtE Receiver

That kid is pretty good. He has the ability to make people miss in space is better than anyone playing class 2 ball in SWVA IMO. I am sure Graham people will throw Clements out there and he is probably a close second.  He made quite a few contested catches as well. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Jtvvv Rushing

Then I saw his rushing highlights and wow. He hits the hole fast and you are not catching him once he gets to the second level. 

Put this kid on any roster in the coverage area and they become region contenders. The fact that he makes plays receiving rushing and returning kicks makes him a lot to deal with