State Championship Games 2022 Scores/Updates

Gridiron60

This post is about Run First Teams, Graham of 2021 and 2022 and the Graham-Central Game and Tony Palmer.  It might be a fun read if your bored and just want one fan's Opinion, otherwise, skip this post.  It's long.

Run First Teams that can pass it efficiently when one on one coverage presents itself is the formula for High School Football state titles in Virginia.  Sometimes, you can run it so well (Riverheads) at lower classifications or Giles back in the day that you don't need to throw much at all, but it's what Graham had in 2022 compared to 2021.  I'm not arguing which team was better.  The point I'm making is, Graham was more run first in 2022 than they were in 2021.  That didn't mean they couldn't run it well in 2021, but in 2022, they were run first.  

At the beginning of this season after 3-4 games, it was apparent Graham was good, but the Emotion of not having the explosive wide open passing touchdowns as a first option made it appear to some that this 2022 team was not as good as the 2021 team.  It's deceiving folks.   Run first teams that do it well, and are good enough to pass it efficiently when defenses crowd the box to stop their run and giving one on one coverage are Dangerous football teams.  That's what Graham was in 2022.

Run first teams are more enabled to recover or have some leadway when injury occurs compared to pass first teams. Teams that are good at run blocking as a first option find the transition easier to pass blacking compared to pass blocking/pass first teams that have to make the transition to run blockng when the pass is taken away and the team is forced to run.  Look at Appo in their state titles.  They would gash with the run and was run first, but when the box got crowded and Appo had those one on one open looks with WR's when Defenses started to crowd the box, they would pass it well with Scruggs and Lawing and hit those passes just like Meadows did.  

The formula for Graham in 2022 was just damn near perfect or about perfect for a Class 2 team in Virginia.  Central Woodstock also had the right formula in my opinion, but they just didn't have the athletes/WR's on the edges to be able to get open in one on one coverage against a much more athletic Graham team.  In my opinion, I think Central did everything from a coaching perspective it possibly could have to give their kids the best possible chances at winning.  That was a very well coached football team from the screens to misdirection to ball control attempts, etc.  They just faced better players and they faced a team that also very well coached in Graham, and Graham's players also being put in the best possible position to win, and win they did.    Outstanding game plan and game of chess playing by Palmer and staff, and a pretty good game of chess played by Central's coaching staff as well.  

Tony Palmer should get every vote for Class 2 COY in Virginia.  The reason is largely because of what Graham did from the 2021 season regarding transitioning from a pass first or somewhat pass first as an option offense to a heavy run as the first option offense based on the strength of his players/talent on hand.  He literally matched the talent he had perfectly to the style needed and many coaches just can't do that.  Folks, there is more to simply "getting 2 players from Mount View or whatever."  There is ON THE FIELD coaching that matters and Palmer is dam* good at it.  I also think Palmer was above average when he started in 2015 (of which many coaches are) and many coaches stay average or above average.  He has improved every year just like his team has.  Graham is doing some funky Sheeeittte with blocking schemes, offensive sets, defensive sets, and crazy different looks they are giving the opponents.  That's coaching, and that's a scary thing when you add this coaching to an already super talented bunch.

I agree 100 percent, with this assessment. It is the most effective formula for state championships. 

To expound on this, and another post about Region D, which was the clear advantage Graham and Appomattox usually has is athletes. More specifically, the element of speed is one of the most important ingredients in that recipe. Unfortunately, I believe that is an area that most teams have very little control, outside recruiting the halls or outside. Not taking anything away from the G-men coaching staff and athletes because they have done a fantastic job of getting the most out of that talent. Most Region D, and other areas (Valley?) often lack that ingredient.

I believe athletes are born, not made. Linemen/football players are made through hard work and training (credit to Mike Horton) in this area. Graham had athletes. CW did not. I think that is a prime reason why Grundy (no slight) or even Richlands many years struggle outside the Region. Grundy has plenty of tough kids (wrestling state titles), but how many speedsters (any sprint champions)?

Last years team was way more balanced. They could run and throw equally as well until the injury to Blevins. In addition, the threat of Blevins running when things broke down in the passing game is what set him apart. The Sawyers and Blevins injuries are what derailed last years team and became the fuel for this years group. Both teams were great in my eyes, But this team was able to finish it. 

watching the GW game looks like their coach panicked in the second half! leaving hobbled QB in and not calling time out on 4th and 5 inside the 10 and taking the penalty! bonehead mistake amongst others

On 12/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, tbgfan said:

Let's go GW!!

Big D

On a 3rd and 1, need to put their QB under center to get the 1 yd.  Scrambling around in backfield isn't working  

well they always snap it 6 yds to get one! dumb

On 12/10/2022 at 11:26 PM, Gridiron60 said:

@BandanaVTDavis4321 called it , sort of when he predicted Snake would probably put 7 in the box to start to stop the run, I believe I counted 9 most of the time, lol. Bold move but it worked! 40 got done good bursts which you can’t stop the power run 100% of the time but man, Graham’s defense was impressive! I forget who said they were overrated but that comment didn’t age well. Someone else said CW had the better QB, not today they didn’t! One more observation, CW looked a lot bigger on film than in person I thought.

Congratulations to the Falcons though, it was a great ride & lots of teams would have loved to have been in your shoes today! #40 was definitely as advertised! Helluva player! 

Congrats G-Men!! Well done and well deserved!!

Don't know if many people know this, but Meadows broke his other(left) hand in the 2nd quarter of the game Saturday and played thru it. To play like he did with that hand.....kid is a warrior.

15 hours ago, CPF said:

Don't know if many people know this, but Meadows broke his other(left) hand in the 2nd quarter of the game Saturday and played thru it. To play like he did with that hand.....kid is a warrior.

Apparently he woke up with a nearly black wrist from the bruising. From what I heard, just as bad as the first one.