Congratulations Graham G-Men

CPF

16 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  Only undefeated team in school history.  Only team to win 15 games in one season.  Graham has now won 29 of their last 30 games, let that sink in.

And loaded again next year.

I have always wondered if Bluefield or Graham had it “easier” or “harder” when it comes to winning the titles? Are there years when Bluefield won, but would not have if in VA or years Graham would have won in WV. Impossible to know for sure, but have always been curious if others thought about it. 

My assumption is it’s tougher in Virginia overall, primarily now due to number of games 15 now. I don’t think it’s always consistent because the top is probably just as good in WV. I think part of it is what you have to go through just to get there.

52 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

My assumption is it’s tougher in Virginia overall, primarily now due to number of games 15 now. I don’t think it’s always consistent because the top is probably just as good in WV. I think part of it is what you have to go through just to get there.

Comparing each state is tough. Most likely VA should be harder just because it’s a larger state population wise, but sometimes small state teams may be very good.  For example, how would a hypothetical Graham vs. Independence WV, or Pikeville, Ky have went? 

1 hour ago, BLU_BLU said:

I have always wondered if Bluefield or Graham had it “easier” or “harder” when it comes to winning the titles? Are there years when Bluefield won, but would not have if in VA or years Graham would have won in WV. Impossible to know for sure, but have always been curious if others thought about it. 

This is no knock on Bluefield, but overall the competition in the WV playoffs is nowhere near what Virginia is. The bracket depth is just not there.

33 minutes ago, CPF said:

Correct. Finished 2nd behind Hermitage. Never got a chance to prove it on the field.

The wins vs Bluefield, Mullens and Northfork from WV did not count because they were out of state which was the rule at that time. Hermitage finished with a 24.80 and Graham finished with a 23.57.  Graham actually went into the Thanksgiving weekend leading the standings. But Hermitage played and won Thanksgiving Day and passed them in the standings. They were the only two eligible for the title due to the rule at that time that the title would first be decided among undefeated and untied schools. If everyone had a loss or tie then it would revert to the ratings of once tied schools, etc.  Ironically, the same rule enabled Graham to win the 1962 state title in points because they did not count Graham's loss to Bluefield because it was out of state. Both Graham and Bluefield won their state championships in 1962.

1 hour ago, Graham32 said:

If anyone would like to relive the G-Men's State Championship win. I bought the video from NFHS & uploaded it to my youtube. Like and Subscribe...Enjoy 🙂

I’ve watched it like three times on NFHS and listened to radio broadcast too. 😂😂😂