GC vs Abingdon boys

stantheman

Abingdon didn't handle the pressure well at all.  On the court or on the sidelines.  Players throwing the ball away. Coaches getting a technical foul.  To the point of the coach playing a 1-2-2 that pretty much says your team can't play a lick of man defense anyway.  He would just have to pressure the ball to the basket and have his 7 footer waiting on them.  I thought he also had a 6:10 or 6'11 guy but he must be terrible because I didn't notice him at all on the floor.  After that big win I think the Devils and Ridgeview are battling for the Mountain 7 District Championship now.  Abingdon may be playing for 3rd or 4th.  No offense to the current coach but they are going to regret getting rid of Williams. 

Watched part of this game on NFHS.  Gate City is quick, and those 2 kids shoot lights out.  Overall, I would say that Gate City boys are physically stronger at each matchup as well.   If Abingdon plays their big lineup, they can't match up well enough for man defense.  If they play more guards, they don't have the scoring advantage.  Gate City demands effort with every team and their kids buy into the system.  That's why they always compete at every level.  

Just watched this one on NFHS.  Abingdon was outcoached, that's what it comes down to.  The way that Ramsey and Osborne are (not) used on offense is mind blowing.  Add that to the lack of discipline and not taking care of the ball at the end, not a good way to start the conference schedule.  Hats off to Coach Barnes on having his team ready.  Anybody else notice that Ramsey was trying to call timeout at the end?  Not saying it would have made a difference, but it would have given them a chance at a heave.  

On 12/14/2022 at 11:29 AM, Observer said:

Just watched this one on NFHS.  Abingdon was outcoached, that's what it comes down to.  The way that Ramsey and Osborne are (not) used on offense is mind blowing.  Add that to the lack of discipline and not taking care of the ball at the end, not a good way to start the conference schedule.  Hats off to Coach Barnes on having his team ready.  Anybody else notice that Ramsey was trying to call timeout at the end?  Not saying it would have made a difference, but it would have given them a chance at a heave.  

Ramsey had 33 so they were getting him the ball a lot, but the guards have to drive more and get penetration to loosen up the pressure, or use backdoor passes. 

Based on what I watched in this game and the games I saw last year, it would be tough for Abingdon to stick with McMurray and 23 on the perimeter with Ramsey, Osborne, and the other tall kid in the game at the same time.  It would require a lot of switching off and Gate City would screen until they got the right matchup to exploit.   I also don't think Abingdon has the speed/endurance to play an extended zone like they did a couple years ago during their state run. The only current guard I really know much about is Honaker and I don't think he is fast enough moving his feet to guard McMurray.  That kid may be the fastest I have seen in a long time, nothing but a ball of energy.  The other guards for Abingdon must be young or new because I don't remember them.  If you go with 3 guards and Osborne/Ramsey you give up muscle because, let's face it, Gate City is always football strong. In that case, you would have to depend on a lot of weakside help from either Ramsey or Osborne which could lead to foul trouble.  I also noticed that there didn't seem to be any significant offensive set up other than pass and cut.  There could be so much done with 2 bigs playing high/low and using screens and kick outs.  Bottom line is Gate City just out hustled and shot lights out.  I am not so quick to dismiss Abingdon's potential.  It's a new varsity coach trying to learn his way so should get better as the season progresses.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Dang, what’s the average shelf life for an Abingdon Coach? They almost ran off Francisco as well.

Abingdon is definitely not an easy place to coach.   There is a long history of parental pressure with most sports. 

Baseball saw a parent group that pushed hard to have Francisco removed a few years ago but that fell through when one of them had some legal trouble and others transferred to different schools.

The previous football coach was criticized by a sizable parent group until he left to go back to gate city.  The current football coach is somewhat under fire for underachieving the past couple of seasons.   

Softball is on their 4th coach in 6 years I think. 

Boys basketball has had the last 3 coaches pushed out for various reasons.   

Seems to be a pattern there. 

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Dang, what’s the average shelf life for an Abingdon Coach? They almost ran off Francisco as well.

Francisco has wasted a lot of talent and no state championships to show for that talent,  

2 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Abingdon is definitely not an easy place to coach.   There is a long history of parental pressure with most sports. 

Baseball saw a parent group that pushed hard to have Francisco removed a few years ago but that fell through when one of them had some legal trouble and others transferred to different schools.

The previous football coach was criticized by a sizable parent group until he left to go back to gate city.  The current football coach is somewhat under fire for underachieving the past couple of seasons.   

Softball is on their 4th coach in 6 years I think. 

Boys basketball has had the last 3 coaches pushed out for various reasons.   

Seems to be a pattern there. 

yeah there's a pattern,  most of them sit in the stands!!!  And the man in charge is useless!!!!

1 hour ago, stantheman said:

Francisco has wasted a lot of talent and no state championships to show for that talent,  

This is the basketball forum, but what a dumb statement.

”Wasted” = going to the state finals two out of the last three years. 

42 minutes ago, stantheman said:

the talent he has had, numerous D1 players, one in the minor's,  0 state championships,   he should have a minimum of 1!!!!  prob 2!!!

LCA was an all star team

Do you hear yourself? Do you have any idea how hard it is to win a state title when it’s a winner take all game? Pure ignorance 

1 hour ago, stantheman said:

the talent he has had, numerous D1 players, one in the minor's,  0 state championships,   he should have a minimum of 1!!!!  prob 2!!!

The Independence team Abingdon lost to 6-3 in the 2021 state championship game had 11 D1 signees!!!

• 4 began their D1 career in the fall of 2021
  • 7 began their D1 career this fall