Football Schedules for 2023

footballfan1

16 hours ago, footballfan1 said:

Any updates for the 2023 Football Schedules?

Most of the Tennessee Schools already have at Least half of their schedules online for 2023 and 2024:  https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/tssaa/2022-23/football/region-football-schedules-2023-2024.html

The TSSAA starting scheduling the regional schedules for all teams starting this season (2023) also the TSSAA is reclassifying this season too, and the Board of Governors voted 12-0 to allow NIL for high school kids The TSSAA has been busy!

8 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

NIL in high school....good lord what a joke

Terrible when this happens.  The 5 small towns in Texas that happen to live beside the other town in which the Tx Oil Billionaire lives all of a sudden loses their best players.  Same for the wealthy areas who have multi millionaires who will simply recruit for their town/High School   It creates a bidding war with only a group at the top who benefits and the middle and lower get screwed. Once again, due to a stupid attempt at "equality," we actually creat More equality, and that's exactly what happens in my opinion.

What about High Schools on military bases?  For example, Cole High at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio (Shaq's alma mater).  Do my tax dollars (federal location) get to cover their NIL deals in San Antonio all the way from Virginia?  The whole thing is a mess in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Terrible when this happens.  The 5 small towns in Texas that happen to live beside the other town in which the Tx Oil Billionaire lives all of a sudden loses their best players.  Same for the wealthy areas who have multi millionaires who will simply recruit for their town/High School   It creates a bidding war with only a group at the top who benefits and the middle and lower get screwed. Once again, due to a stupid attempt at "equality," we actually creat More equality, and that's exactly what happens in my opinion.

What about High Schools on military bases?  For example, Cole High at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio (Shaq's alma mater).  Do my tax dollars (federal location) get to cover their NIL deals in San Antonio all the way from Virginia?  The whole thing is a mess in my opinion.

It's ridiculous in my opinion...just the way this world is now...give the kids whatever they want

59 minutes ago, Packman said:

Ridgeview replacing Bluefield with Virginia High.  

I realize Bluefield is a long haul but why would you replace a team of Bluefield’s caliber with VA High? No offense intended toward the Bearcats. Bluefield & VA High are no where near the same level. 

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I realize Bluefield is a long haul but why would you replace a team of Bluefield’s caliber with VA High? No offense intended toward the Bearcats. Bluefield & VA High are no where near the same level. 

They lose everything on both sides of the ball. Including O'Quinn got to make that schedule a little easier for freshman 

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Same reason Tazewell and Richlands dropped Bluefield.

Outside the area, but has some relevance that I will get around to explaining...

Liberty (Bedford) has quite the conundrum.  Assigned to Division 2 next year but still stuck playing in the Seminole District -- where the Minutemen still aren't exactly competitive in football.  Basically our brand new AD (in his first year at that level) will need to find three nondistrict opponents that we can beat -- and who are willing to play us -- who happen to be in classifications higher than Division 2.  And even that might not be enough since I think the number of teams that will qualify in Region 2C is contracting next year.

So for those who wonder why/how teams with 3-7 records make the playoffs in Virginia....   Well, this is one source of that madness.

51 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Outside the area, but has some relevance that I will get around to explaining...

Liberty (Bedford) has quite the conundrum.  Assigned to Division 2 next year but still stuck playing in the Seminole District -- where the Minutemen still aren't exactly competitive in football.  Basically our brand new AD (in his first year at that level) will need to find three nondistrict opponents that we can beat -- and who are willing to play us -- who happen to be in classifications higher than Division 2.  And even that might not be enough since I think the number of teams that will qualify in Region 2C is contracting next year.

So for those who wonder why/how teams with 3-7 records make the playoffs in Virginia....   Well, this is one source of that madness.

Why do they have to be higher than division 2 and why do they have to be "teams that we can beat"?

14 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Why do they have to be higher than division 2 and why do they have to be "teams that we can beat"?

All about ratings points.  Although Liberty will accumulate a minimum amount for simply playing above their classification in district play, it's unlikely that it will amount to enough to qualify for postseason compared to other Region 2C teams.  Any Seminole District win would be huge in that regard -- but the Minutemen are oh-fer in district play for two years straight now.

The need for opponents in higher classification is two-fold.  One side is the points argument above.  At some point you actually have to win to accumulate enough points to qualify -- and wins against higher classification schools are more valuable than equal or lower tier teams.  The other side is that the closest schools in the same classification have effectively refused to play us.  So if you're going to travel outside the immediate area it makes sense to be even more strategic in scheduling (i.e. find a relatively weak Division 3 or Division 4 team).

I'm assuming that we'll continue to schedule county rival Staunton River (which is a Division 3 school).  Typically we do have a reasonable shot at beating them, which helps.  But the simplest (and arguably most reasonable) thing would have been for LHS to play in the Division 1/2 Dogwood District.  Outside of Appomattox, the Minutemen would likely be competitive with all other members -- but nothing close to dominant in football.  Yet that was the argument that Dogwood schools effectively made to keep us out (caveat there is that it probably would be true in all other sports).

I've been an apologist for the Virginia system for a long time.  But it is inherently screwed up in a big way now.  Admittedly it takes having your own ox gored for people to even know or care what's happening.  And recent reclassification may be driving a lot of scheduling decisions for 2023-2024.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I see your point related points. But, for now, wouldn't it be better to not worry about points and just focus on building the program back up?

And how do you measure that?  Most obvious metric is winning -- and our program is at a decided disadvantage there thanks to the VHSL.

3 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

And how do you measure that?  Most obvious metric is winning -- and our program is at a decided disadvantage there thanks to the VHSL.

I agree. So trying to find Div 3 teams that are going thru tough times would be difficult.

Bluefield is working on the schedule. They don't discuss who they are working with until the games are contracted. Open weeks are 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11. Only locked in games for 2023 are Graham, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, Independence and Pikeview. Four of the five are home games so Bluefield would be open to travelling the first year of a contract. Bluefield has two contracts in the hands of possible opponents but they have not signed them as of yesterday.

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Same reason Tazewell and Richlands dropped Bluefield.

So after all the complaints about MT View dropping Tazewell and having to travel across state to find opponents, they drop Bluefield?

4 hours ago, Dawg01 said:

They lose everything on both sides of the ball. Including O'Quinn got to make that schedule a little easier for freshman 

Still doesn't make you better in the long run...iron sharpens iron, cupcakes make you fat...