Football Schedules for 2023

footballfan1

On 1/22/2023 at 7:36 PM, Gridiron60 said:

One of the many reasons, Graham should have their own stadium. I don’t think that is ever going to happen though. 

Don't think that will happen.  Could be wrong, but I think the school board is looking at consolidating with two schools, part of Tazewell and Graham in one and Part of Tazewell and Richlands in the other.  A new facility will be build to house the Taz. + Graham with new stadium, and the Taz. + Richlands will use the Richlands facility with improvements to the stadium.  I know we have all heard something like this before, so could just be a far fetched rumor, but it is something to think about.

7 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Don't think that will happen.  Could be wrong, but I think the school board is looking at consolidating with two schools, part of Tazewell and Graham in one and Part of Tazewell and Richlands in the other.  A new facility will be build to house the Taz. + Graham with new stadium, and the Taz. + Richlands will use the Richlands facility with improvements to the stadium.  I know we have all heard something like this before, so could just be a far fetched rumor, but it is something to think about.

I see them closing all of the elementary schools and having a k-7 and a High School with grades 8-12 in Bluefield, Tazewell and Richlands.  The current High Schools would serve as k-7 and the Middle Schools as the 8-12 High Schools.  Unless Tazewell County gets a deal like Buchanan County did with the Army Corp of engineers, the first thing would be to close facilities, cut costs and consolidate schools.

18 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Valid question here though, how do you split Tazewell?  geographically it is dead in the center of the county.  North Tazewell address go to Graham and Tazewell to Richlands?  

I think there is way too much pride in the 3 fan bases for them to ever consolidate. That is the same reason I dont see Smyth county consolidating. I would make a ton of since to combine Chilhowie and Northwood that would put there numbers about the same as Marion but I dont think the powers at be will ever let that happen

Look for Virginia in the next 10 years to start consolidating by county.  Literally, consolidating counties regarding education.  That's often the most efficient and West Virginia, once again, the state that is supposed to be so backwards was ahead of a huge chunk of the country with their County-Education Consolidation stuff years ago.  It's the way to go when you have a mass of rural counties/rural areas.  You could see something outside the box like...

Graham-Bland consolidated

Tazewell-Richlands consolidated

20 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Look for Virginia in the next 10 years to start consolidating by county.  Literally, consolidating counties regarding education.  That's often the most efficient and West Virginia, once again, the state that is supposed to be so backwards was ahead of a huge chunk of the country with their County-Education Consolidation stuff years ago.  It's the way to go when you have a mass of rural counties/rural areas.  You could see something outside the box like...

Yet giles and narrows will still be arguing about it...and another 30 years will pass

4 hours ago, CPF said:

It's not going to happen. People have been saying it for years and years. You cannot split this county in two with the county seat not being a part of it. It's just not going to happen. 3 is the correct number.

Agree.  The elementary schools will be closed and consolidated before the High Schools.  (Speculation).   The most recent rumors of a long range "plan" that has been mentioned calls for 2 schools in each town.  One k-7 and One 8-12.

16 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Makes no sense.  You have to either go through Tazewell or WV to get there

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Makes no sense.  You have to either go through Tazewell or WV to get there

18 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I agree. I think that Scott and Russell counties will consolidate. I also believe Wise and Lee will consolidate one more time. I'm guessing two high schools in Wise county, one in Lee, Scott, and Russell. I could very well be wrong ,but I do think the state will  step in and do something in 10-15yrs. Interesting to think about.

1 hour ago, PV8 said:

I agree. I think that Scott and Russell counties will consolidate. I also believe Wise and Lee will consolidate one more time. I'm guessing two high schools in Wise county, one in Lee, Scott, and Russell. I could very well be wrong ,but I do think the state will  step in and do something in 10-15yrs. Interesting to think about.

We have this consolidation conversation on this board every 6 months! As far as Russell County the three schools are relatively close together and could be accomplished pretty easily. Scott County is a different animal, the county is huge (539 sq. miles) and 70 percent of the population lives within 10 miles of Gate City. The kids that live in Blackwater would be on a school bus for over an hour to get to a centrally located school same for the east end of the county. Gate City is also full of Tennessee kids and how do you deal with that as a school board. 

It would be nice if they could build a business in SW Virginia that would create jobs and keep people in the area.  Were sports fans so maybe build another race track maybe a 3rd of the size of Bristol and or try and get any amateaur golf tournament in the area.  In sore there are some great golf courses in the area.  In sore you can think if some other good ideas.  

7 hours ago, PV8 said:

Here on Possum Tail Hollow, One of the things we like about this site is the “comedy”. However, Uncle Percy has decided that some of you, instead of using your brains you just sit on your brains. 

On 2/9/2023 at 3:19 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If I understand correctly there is nothing forcing VAs schools districts to be set up by county, counties could group together and file joint school districts if they so choose but they do not. 

A series of regional school districts would have made the most sense and probably still does. 

Twin Springs, Castlewood, and St Paul would have been natural consolidation partners

Honaker and Council, Clintwood and Pound, Haysi and Grundy, etc

12 minutes ago, redtiger said:

If I understand correctly there is nothing forcing VAs schools districts to be set up by county, counties could group together and file joint school districts if they so choose but they do not. 

A series of regional school districts would have made the most sense and probably still does. 

Twin Springs, Castlewood, and St Paul would have been natural consolidation partners

Honaker and Council, Clintwood and Pound, Haysi and Grundy, etc

You are exactly right.  It's about the counties and maintaining local power.  It requires lots of leadership and collaboration and accounting for finances on how much and who is chipping in.  It is some work, but it's work INITIALLY.  After getting the ball rolling, ask the counties in WV whether it's made a difference.  It's made a monumental difference not just financially, but structure, education, academics, pooling of resources, etc.  It's just been simply better than the alternative.  It will go that way in Virginia sooner or later in the rural areas.