Sep 15 - Galax

Sep 22 - Alleghany

Sep 29 - at Glenvar

Oct 6 - James River 

Oct 13 - at Patrick County

Oct 20 - Floyd County

Oct 27 - at Carroll County

Nov 3 - Open

Aug 18 is likely an exhibition game at Pulaski County as the two teams have played the “Battle of the Bridge” before the first regular season game each year 

On 5/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Is Middlesboro any good? What kind of history do they have over there?

Middlesboro is the 5th on the all time wins list for all Kentucky teams. Late 90s they had teams as good and several better than the 98 pv vikings. Their coach died and then they took a page out of lee highs playbook with coachevery 4 years before settling on coach French who is 2nd or 3rd on the all time wins as a coach.

As far as reffing goes they do the exact same thing the AoA does in VA. They send their more experienced refs to other match ups and use their inexperienced refs for their out of state match ups.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:14 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Everyone knows the refs are better on the other side of the Cumberland Gap tunnel.  I don't know what y'all are talking about.  Lol

This is close but hancock Co is where you have to be 30 points better just to beat them by 7

On 5/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, GC_Quincy said:

GC played a scrimmage at Letcher County one year and it was awful. I saw players from all teams hit 4-5 yards out of bounds and nothing was called. That was GC's last trip there.

Letcher to me has the worst refs I’ve seen you can count on 100 penalty yards at least.  Not sure of the exact number but Union scored 4-5 TDs on one possession but they let us keep the last one 

8 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Letcher to me has the worst refs I’ve seen you can count on 100 penalty yards at least.  Not sure of the exact number but Union scored 4-5 TDs on one possession but they let us keep the last one 

Yeah it was pathetic. 

They say when Virginia teams travel to Kentucky they come off the bus down 14-0. Not literally of course. 

I think in 2015 and 2017 Union was down 14-3 early at Letcher Central. 

Those were the two Union teams that went 10-0 and lost at half state. 

I think in 2016 Letcher Central came to Bullitt Park and late in the game had a player get tossed as he was saying stuff to James Mitchell. They do play pretty dirty.

9 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Middlesboro is the 5th on the all time wins list for all Kentucky teams. Late 90s they had teams as good and several better than the 98 pv vikings. Their coach died and then they took a page out of lee highs playbook with coachevery 4 years before settling on coach French who is 2nd or 3rd on the all time wins as a coach.

As far as reffing goes they do the exact same thing the AoA does in VA. They send their more experienced refs to other match ups and use their inexperienced refs for their out of state match ups.

I’m biased but that 98 PV is hard to beat. 

I believe Ragsdale from Giles made the comment after PV rolled them 40-0 that Giles would have had to play a near perfect game against them and PV have an off game and even that may not have even been enough for Giles to have won. 

And that was actually a very good Giles club. 

That year PV still could have won state without Julius Jones. The defense had the nickname “Killer D” courtesy of Barry Jones as DC. Killer D was chanted all the time too. As far as offense goes, PV was like a 5 headed monster. You could cut one head off and it would grow back later in the game. Meanwhile the other heads would be as fierce as the one that got cut off before its recovery.

It’s worth noting in 1998 that Gate City was 3A then with 2A numbers and had an off year. 3-7 but they were still fairly competitive in some of the games they didn’t win. They gave Powell Valley a tough game in the first half but PV wore them down in 2nd half

32 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

I’m biased but that 98 PV is hard to beat. 

I believe Ragsdale from Giles made the comment after PV rolled them 40-0 that Giles would have had to play a near perfect game against them and PV have an off game and even that may not have even been enough for Giles to have won. 

And that was actually a very good Giles club. 

That year PV still could have won state without Julius Jones. The defense had the nickname “Killer D” courtesy of Barry Jones as DC. Killer D was chanted all the time too. As far as offense goes, PV was like a 5 headed monster. You could cut one head off and it would grow back later in the game. Meanwhile the other heads would be as fierce as the one that got cut off before its recovery.

It’s worth noting in 1998 that Gate City was 3A then with 2A numbers and had an off year. 3-7 but they were still fairly competitive in some of the games they didn’t win. They gave Powell Valley a tough game in the first half but PV wore them down in 2nd half

Sadly there are 0 common opponents or even teams that could be used for a comparison. However when Belfry fans comment and say this was and still is one of the best teams to ever grace EKY it turns your head. They went through Beechwood and Mayfield to win the championship and only lost to Bell county due to the Refs that you mention. Bell county is called "Flag mountain" for a reason, that and they kept it close when Dudley Hilton was in his prime.

Its close for both teams and your own bias will give the edge to each team. 

3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Just forgot the most important tidbit of having to go to Middlesboro.  You can take a side trip down to Harrogate and eat at the Gondolier.  Fantastic Italian eatery that place is.

Eat at Shades or the Mexican restaurant near the coke plant. Gondolier has went down hill since covid after they got bought out. 

33 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Sadly there are 0 common opponents or even teams that could be used for a comparison. However when Belfry fans comment and say this was and still is one of the best teams to ever grace EKY it turns your head. They went through Beechwood and Mayfield to win the championship and only lost to Bell county due to the Refs that you mention. Bell county is called "Flag mountain" for a reason, that and they kept it close when Dudley Hilton was in his prime.

I don’t doubt that they were one of the best. Both 98 PV and those Middlesboro teams sound like they would have been neck and neck. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

All my Lee County friends recommend Shades.  The only time I have stopped in Middlesboro to eat it didnt disappoint.

Used to be a clothes store in the Middlesboro Mall called Steve and Barry’s. You could buy some excellent outfits for excellent prices. 

It shut down and got replaced by a Roses. 

18 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Used to be a clothes store in the Middlesboro Mall called Steve and Barry’s. You could buy some excellent outfits for excellent prices. 

It shut down and got replaced by a Roses. 

There was one in mercer mall a while back and now it’s roses.

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

There was one in mercer mall a while back and now it’s roses.

Is that the store that had all the college sports clothes from schools all across the country, and of course, professional sports teams? If that is the one I'm thinking of that was at Mercer Mall, it was a darn cool store for a sports fans. I bought lots of Tech and Texas gear there, but don't remember the name of the store.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Is that the store that had all the college sports clothes from schools all across the country, and of course, professional sports teams? If that is the one I'm thinking of that was at Mercer Mall, it was a darn cool store for a sports fans. I bought lots of Tech and Texas gear there, but don't remember the name of the store.

That’s the one

8 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

So apparently the whole state has sketchy refs.  I’d rather get curb stomped by Science Hill than get screwed over by officials in KY.  Which will happen this season 

5 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

So apparently the whole state has sketchy refs.  I’d rather get curb stomped by Science Hill than get screwed over by officials in KY.  Which will happen this season 

We will definitely get rolled. But our boys can get battle tested. 

5 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

We will definitely get rolled. But our boys can get battle tested. 

I thought Union had the makings of a decent team in a couple of years when they played RV last year.  I think they may keep it close for a while agains the hill. 

On 5/4/2023 at 10:20 PM, TwhscoachT said:

The last part of the statement is inaccurate. Crews are assigned two weeks out, and sure, you have your best crews on your highest profile games or games with biggest playoff implications. There is a thought process on who goes where each week(we have approximately 10-12 days of notice). I can recall at least 2 games I worked last season featuring an out of state opponent and no less than 60 years of (combined)experience was on each of those fields. Games featuring an out of state opponent do not automatically get the inexperienced crews. Where you really see the experienced guys is past round 2 of the playoffs. With the numbers the way they are, we are just happy to get the games covered every week, putting newer guys with veterans to gain them valuable experience in a big game environment is not uncommon. Contrary to popular belief, we are ALWAYS trying to improve and elevate the level of officiating in our part of the state for the student-athletes and member schools we serve. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:07 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

Virginia High 2023

8/25 Patrick Henry Glade Spring               Home
9/1 John Battle               Away
9/8 Radford               Home
9/15 Ridgeview               Home
9/22 Graham               Away
10/6 Tazewell               Home
10/13 Richlands               Away
10/20 Grundy               Away
10/27 Lebanon               Away
11/3 Marion               Home

Saw a post from Jenkins Independent Schools that has Virginia High on Oct 20th??? Can anyone from Va High confirm? Thought it was a little weird.

I think it may be legit. I got the Virginia High schedule off of HUDL. Just this morning I verified with Marion that they are playing Grundy Oct 20th. PERHAPS Va High thought that they were playing Grundy and found out late that they weren't and had to find another opponent?

3 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I think it may be legit. I got the Virginia High schedule off of HUDL. Just this morning I verified with Marion that they are playing Grundy Oct 20th. PERHAPS Va High thought that they were playing Grundy and found out late that they weren't and had to find an opponent?

Spoke with the head coach at Jenkins, he said they reached out to him needing a game due to a scheduling conflict.