Football Schedules for 2023

footballfan1

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Picked up Pikeview, wow. If that one is in Bluefield, that might be one of my 2 times per year Mitchell Stadium trip. 

They are being forced to play by the school board I thought. 

21 minutes ago, GMan said:

Still doesn't make you better in the long run...iron sharpens iron, cupcakes make 

Homefield isn't going to help them beat us. The only reason I could see why you make that move.

37 minutes ago, Gfan said:

So after all the complaints about MT View dropping Tazewell and having to travel across state to find opponents, they drop Bluefield?

Because MT. View dropped them in the middle of the contract cycle when there was no chance to pick up a game without traveling 4+ hours, and they did that without even informing Tazewell. Not even close to being the same situation. 

30 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Because MT. View dropped them in the middle of the contract cycle when there was no chance to pick up a game without traveling 4+ hours, and they did that without even informing Tazewell. Not even close to being the same situation. 

Tazewell fulfilled their contract with Bluefield. Each are free to pursue other games at the end of the contract. Just like any other contract. 

5 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Outside the area, but has some relevance that I will get around to explaining...

Liberty (Bedford) has quite the conundrum.  Assigned to Division 2 next year but still stuck playing in the Seminole District -- where the Minutemen still aren't exactly competitive in football.  Basically our brand new AD (in his first year at that level) will need to find three nondistrict opponents that we can beat -- and who are willing to play us -- who happen to be in classifications higher than Division 2.  And even that might not be enough since I think the number of teams that will qualify in Region 2C is contracting next year.

So for those who wonder why/how teams with 3-7 records make the playoffs in Virginia....   Well, this is one source of that madness.

Go ahead and just drop LCA, E C Glass, and Heritage from your schedule.  

5 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Outside the area, but has some relevance that I will get around to explaining...

Liberty (Bedford) has quite the conundrum.  Assigned to Division 2 next year but still stuck playing in the Seminole District -- where the Minutemen still aren't exactly competitive in football.  Basically our brand new AD (in his first year at that level) will need to find three nondistrict opponents that we can beat -- and who are willing to play us -- who happen to be in classifications higher than Division 2.  And even that might not be enough since I think the number of teams that will qualify in Region 2C is contracting next year.

So for those who wonder why/how teams with 3-7 records make the playoffs in Virginia....   Well, this is one source of that madness.

Go ahead and just drop LCA, E C Glass, and Heritage from your schedule.  

Grundy’s schedule next 2 years:

1-A.  Honaker, Hurley, Patrick Henry, Twin Valley (if they don’t flub it again)

2-A.  Central-Wise, Marion, Ridgeview, Tazewell, Va High

3-A.   Carroll County

Hurley and Twin Valley are the only district games.

Anyone have a fiddle for sale for RichlandsAlum?

8 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Tazewell fulfilled their contract with Bluefield. Each are free to pursue other games at the end of the contract. Just like any other contract. 

Isn't Lebanon re-joining the SWD next season.  That will require current SWD members to drop somebody.  

3 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Grundy’s schedule next 2 years:

1-A.  Honaker, Hurley, Patrick Henry, Twin Valley (if they don’t flub it again)

2-A.  Central-Wise, Marion, Ridgeview, Tazewell, Va High

3-A.   Carroll County

Hurley and Twin Valley are the only district games.

Anyone have a fiddle for sale for RichlandsAlum?

Grundy people bitched for years about going to Hillsville and now you add them on the regular schedule?

• 1 month later...

Bluefield picks up Grayson Co., Giles, and James Monroe...

BLUEFIELD
08/25 (H) Graham VA
09/01 (A) Princeton
09/08 (A) Greenbrier East
09/15 (H) Woodrow Wilson
09/22 (-) Open
09/29 (H) Independence
10/06 (H) PikeView
10/13 (A) Grayson County VA
10/20 (A) Oak Hill
10/27 (H) Giles VA
11/03 (A) James Monroe

OMG, they got Peterstown to play!  It seems like Bluefield whips em about twice every 15 years, then Jamey Monroe goes away for a bit before regaining the courage.  I hope Bluefield hangs 70 points on em.  I had two of their fans tell me over in Rich Creek this November that they were the best team in the area, and they would play with Graham, beat Bluefield, and play right with Independence.  I thought to myself, "not a dang thing has changed with them in 40 years" dating back to when those guys use to fire pistols in the air in the endzone when they scored back in the 70's and 80's.  

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

OMG, they got Peterstown to play!  It seems like Bluefield whips em about twice every 15 years, then Jamey Monroe goes away for a bit before regaining the courage.  I hope Bluefield hangs 70 points on em.  I had two of their fans tell me over in Rich Creek this November that they were the best team in the area, and they would play with Graham, beat Bluefield, and play right with Independence.  I thought to myself, "not a dang thing has changed with them in 40 years" dating back to when those guys use to fire pistols in the air in the endzone when they scored back in the 70's and 80's.  

They sound delusional. James Monroe doesn’t come within at least 30 of any of those teams.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:45 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I realize Bluefield is a long haul but why would you replace a team of Bluefield’s caliber with VA High? No offense intended toward the Bearcats. Bluefield & VA High are no where near the same level. 

Maybe Bluefield dropped them but no clue who dropped who 

11 hours ago, GMan said:

Bluefield picks up Grayson Co., Giles, and James Monroe...

BLUEFIELD
08/25 (H) Graham VA
09/01 (A) Princeton
09/08 (A) Greenbrier East
09/15 (H) Woodrow Wilson
09/22 (-) Open
09/29 (H) Independence
10/06 (H) PikeView
10/13 (A) Grayson County VA
10/20 (A) Oak Hill
10/27 (H) Giles VA
11/03 (A) James Monroe

9-1 season for the Beavers.😉

James Monroe decided not to play when they dropped to Single A. The honest truth is neither prefers to be playing each other at this time but circumstances beyond either's control say that they have to until other schools more in line with each school's enrollment decide to play. Sometime necessity is the mother of invention. 

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Graham's 10 opponents are the same except for one as 2022. Bluefield, Tazewell, Richlands, Union, Galax. George Wythe, Va High, Lebanon (replaces Blacksburg), Pulaski County and Marion.

It's hard to fathom what has happened to Blacksburg's football program.  It's crazy to think that Class 1 Lebanon might actually be a step up in competition for Graham compared to Class 4 Blacksburg, who won the state title not too long ago led by Terry and Beck.