Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

25 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

The rumor is Yes

I wouldn't mind seeing that but I'm not sure Turner will open it up enough.  If I was Turner, I'd say "Hey, we're going to throw 20 times a game.  We'll move Anderson to slot and let you sling it to him."  Then I'd reach out to Edwards from Castlewood and offer him OC and QB coach.  If they did that, Union challenges Graham for Region D next year.  The Union staff is a better coaching staff than Ridgeview and they should tell him that.

He should not stay at Ridgeview.....if they wouldn't let him sling it and open it up with this senior class they never will.  I'm still thinking the odds are 1) he stays 2) goes to an non-M7 school 3)Union...in that order of likeihood.

Are academics, loyalty, friendships, or hometown pride ever part of the equation?I'm sure each situation is unique, but it seems like a disturbing trend nowadays, sure to be compounded by NIL in some areas. 

What ever happened to, “I go to (school) AND play (sports).” rather than “I go to (school) TO play (sports).”?

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Are academics ever part of the equation?

It seems not in so many cases now. I guess I was confusing myself with the holdback question. In those instances, but probably the minority now, there is an academic element.

So if my son is talented enough to play on Saturdays but is getting zero help from his coaches in the recruitment process it’s wrong for him to transfer somewhere that will help him ? I agree with being loyal but there comes a time when you have to look out for yourself . At the end of the day when that final buzzer goes off after your senior year , loyalty, friendships are not going to get you anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, GaDawg88 said:

So if my son is talented enough to play on Saturdays but is getting zero help from his coaches in the recruitment process it’s wrong for him to transfer somewhere that will help him ? I agree with being loyal but there comes a time when you have to look out for yourself . At the end of the day when that final buzzer goes off after your senior year , loyalty, friendships are not going to get you anywhere. 

I would say that is one of those unique circumstances. The trend part is that the majority probably aren’t playing on Saturdays. I would even say most that will play on Saturdays for a free or reduced education will be found. Again, this isn’t one size fits all. 
My reasoning for suggesting this is based on empirical evidence (kids who transferred to play at Richlands in the past), I only recall Devon Johnson doing so for more than one season.

A lot of people are starting to question about how all of these transfers are coming to Graham. Parents that have had there sons at Graham are starting to become angry and taking it to the Tazewell County School board. However, I personally don’t think Tony Palmer can coach at all and he recruits to cover it up and make him look fantastic. Although, Dennis Palmer ( former Richlands coach) is a very well rounded coach and without him, Graham doesn’t win state…

1 hour ago, G_Men Nation said:

A lot of people are starting to question about how all of these transfers are coming to Graham. Parents that have had there sons at Graham are starting to become angry and taking it to the Tazewell County School board. However, I personally don’t think Tony Palmer can coach at all and he recruits to cover it up and make him look fantastic. Although, Dennis Palmer ( former Richlands coach) is a very well rounded coach and without him, Graham doesn’t win state…

So parents are angry their kids are part of a State Championship team? Okayyyy! 

With the exception of Floyd, didn’t most kids come in middle school or as Freshmen?  You have Sawyers who came from LB but that was because of his parent’s job, right? You have the Bland boys who came this year when their program folded.

Here’s the thing, kids want to be part of a winning program. Graham has had several players go on since Palmer took the helm to play at the next level. He’s good at getting kids’ noticed. Kids come to play at successful programs whether it’s Graham, Richlands, Bluefield, Union, etc. 

Part of being a good head coach is assembling a quality coaching staff that can work well together, Tony Palmer has done that. I give him credit for bringing Snake on staff. He & Rex do a great job on defense. 

Transfers come....transfers go. I mean what about the kid at GW that was a 4 star linemen or the Jollay Brothers. Could they have helped if they'd stayed? Absolutely. You could always take your kid to Tazewell or Bluefield if your not happy. No one is making you stay or play.

5 hours ago, GaDawg88 said:

Not at all.  Coaches are a huge part of recruiting, and this area has major discrepancies in how active the coaching staff is in promoting kids.  There is very much an old school mindset and it needs to change.  Graham's staff is great at promoting and celebrating the accomplishment of their kids, Tazewell does a good job, Abingdon does as well.  Ridgeview is horrible.  The days of being held hostage to an offensive or defensive system is over, for better or worse.  

So, how can you judge a program?  Okay, look at the following:

• Are the coaches actively learning (going to camps, work-shops, etc.),
  • Is player development evident and proven?
  • Is winning valued as a culture?
  • Does the coaching staff take the kids to camps? 
  • Is the coaching staff invested in the youth program? 
  • Is there a booster club?
  • Is there a year round weight training program?
  • Is there an active and engaged team social media presence (to promote player/team accomplishments)
  • Are accomplishments celebrated? (awards, school records broken, etc.)

Now, you have to be realistic with your kids talent.  Is he global good or SWVA good?  Difference.  Get him to camps and that will tell you where he is at.  He needs to go to camps and win reps against higher quality players.  Of course there is the common benchmarks of bench, squat and 40.  IMHO, this area over values bench/squat and undervalues 40 and cone drill times.  Speed and agility kill.  

9 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I know a couple kids that palmer has contacted trying to get them to come to graham....imo that is just wrong

I agree , coaches should not actively recruit or approach kids. Richlands actively recruited for years under Mance and kids wanted to play there because they were successful during that run. Right now, Graham is having a good run so kids want to be a part of that. If a player or parent reaches out to a coach, I don’t fault the coach for that.

Graham has won like 29 of 30 games now, 2 state championship appearances in the last 30 games and coming off a perfect 15-0 season this year and state title and............next August, they might be a slight underdog against the Beavers. 

Speaking of transfers, I'm still hearing Graham may get the running back/slot speedster from Princeton who was a sophomore this year and dude has jets and was the fastest kid on Princeton's team.