Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

10 hours ago, CPF said:

If that kid comes Bluefield is no where near the favorite. I don't think they are now. We're a better football program currently.

Since this thread is full of unconfirmed rumors, barbershop talk says next year is Freddie’s last year at Bluefield. If it is, who does the board see replacing him? His son? (No offense but I think that would be a mistake). 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Since this thread is full of unconfirmed rumors, barbershop talk says next year is Freddie’s last year at Bluefield. If it is, who does the board see replacing him? His son? (No offense but I think that would be a mistake). 

Heard that before, I'll believe it when I see it.

On 12/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

I'm not putting kids names out there on a board....believe me if you want, I don't care either way...you wanna believe palmer that's fine.

I know the facts...but not gonna bait me into putting a kids name on here

Nice try

On 12/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, CPF said:

If your going to have the guts to mention it have the guts to put some names to it. Otherwise it's just noise. And I don't believe it.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see if it happens. However, Cousin Claude was telling us about this a few weeks ago and he lives 3 counties away from The Hokiebird7.  You remember that old story about where there’s smoke.

How soon we forget when Richlands was accused of recruiting during their good run, especially with the Johnson's, and who knows maybe they did, but some of the stuff that was said has now come home to roost with the very ones that said it.  It's odd how the times have changed, when back then everyone wanted the head of coach Mance on a silver platter for so called recruiting, but now that the shoe is on someone else's foot, it's not that big of a deal.  Who cares if every coach is recruiting, and I suspect they all do to a certain degree.  Players cannot change schools without the parent or guardian consent, so why blame the players.  By the way, why even blame the coaches, most often the parents are contacting them.  Who doesn't want their child to be on a winning team, Duh!  As a Richlands fan, right now I wouldn't blame any player for wanting to transfer with the shape the program is in, and appears to be getting worse.  As long as Daddyball is in action, it's going to be running down hill like a fast moving freight train with no brakeman.  IMO and we all have one.  

2 minutes ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

How soon we forget when Richlands was accused of recruiting during their good run, especially with the Johnson's, and who knows maybe they did, but some of the stuff that was said has now come home to roost with the very ones that said it.  It's odd how the times have changed, when back then everyone wanted the head of coach Mance on a silver platter for so called recruiting, but now that the shoe is on someone else's foot, it's not that big of a deal.  Who cares if every coach is recruiting, and I suspect they all do to a certain degree.  Players cannot change schools without the parent or guardian consent, so why blame the players.  By the way, why even blame the coaches, most often the parents are contacting them.  Who doesn't want their child to be on a winning team, Duh!  As a Richlands fan, right now I wouldn't blame any player for wanting to transfer with the shape the program is in, and appears to be getting worse.  As long as Daddyball is in action, it's going to be running down hill like a fast moving freight train with no brakeman.  IMO and we all have one.  

This has been my thought the entire time. We were called the "SWVA All-Stars" by multiple people on here, but now it's not that big of a deal when it's winning state titles elsewhere. lol 

39 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

This has been my thought the entire time. We were called the "SWVA All-Stars" by multiple people on here, but now it's not that big of a deal when it's winning state titles elsewhere. lol 

Since Graham stole recruiting from you wonder when they will get those illegal cleats from yall as well. 😅😅😅😅........

29 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Since Graham stole recruiting from you wonder when they will get those illegal cleats from yall as well. 😅😅😅😅........

Wait, is Tony Palmer bringing Dennis Vaught on staff? Is that the change in coaching at Graham someone mentioned 😂😂😂

18 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Wait, is Tony Palmer bringing Dennis Vaught on staff? Is that the change in coaching at Graham someone mentioned 😂😂😂

For all the personal issues/personality issues, that guy could flat out COACH. He was an on the field tactical/chessplaying expert for the High School Level. Key words....On The Field. 

38 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

For all the personal issues/personality issues, that guy could flat out COACH. He was an on the field tactical/chessplaying expert for the High School Level. Key words....On The Field. 

This is correct lol. Dude could coach a football team. 

I think it’s more acceptable now, simply due to the change in the times and values, rather than the locations. As Bandanna pointed out, access to social media has been a major driver in the increase of occurrence and desensitization. During Richlands run, it didn’t appear widespread amongst other communities at the time. Although we can all admit it likely occurred often. It’s easy to justify a common move from Bluefield, VA to WV and vice versa without raising suspicion. That area has a much more abundant and accessible talent demographic to take advantage. What did Richlands have to offer someone from McDowell County other than sports? For better or worse, Richlands broke the seal concerning perception and acceptance of the practice in the area. Graham now does it better with more resources to tap into. Graham’s price is more acceptable now due the results of an actual state title. The practice does come with a price down the road if the wrong coach or powers take the reins with an inability to control the issues and handle success. An example of Graham parents being unhappy despite success comes to mind. What do I mean? Next post.

On 12/18/2022 at 10:11 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Heard that before, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sasq, looking in from the outside, the thing about Simon that one would think he has to be contemplating is.....Graham and the future.  Graham has now surpassed Bluefield as a program at this time.  I know Graham has had stretches where they have won 2 in a row over Bluefield, but during those times, when one looked at Bluefield's junior high, it was stacked with upcoming talent and I would get the sense that the Graham wins were not going to be a regular 2 year in a row cycle every 3 or 4 years. 

This time is a bit different.  The Graham junior high is loaded with what it appears to be major Div 1 talent and is dominating.  Bluefield still has talent also, but when you look at what Palmer has done and how few losses since 2015 and the trajectory for Graham, I think the general consensus is that Graham is going to have the upper hand in this series for at least 7 years.  There's no way to know that.  Bluefield may win 6 of 7, but I think even most Bluefield fans, if polled, and answered truthfully, would agree Graham is about to get far more wins over the next 8 or 9 years against Bluefield than maybe any 8 or 9 year run in this long series.  Add to that Simon's age, and it just feels like there may be some meaning to this being the last year for Simon.  The other thing is...this upcoming Bluefield 2023 team. 

Even with Graham surpassing Bluefield as a program, Bluefield may have its best shot next year, in 2023 to win a WV state title and have a very good chance of beating Graham in 2023.  Graham will have the athlete advantage next year, but I think as of right now, Bluefield will have the O and D line advantage with what they return and they catch Graham early in game one before the super talented Graham O and D line has got broken in and developed.  Add up all of those factors, and I think the chances are pretty good that this is his last year.  At the end of the day.....only Simon knows and me, or anyone else can not get inside of his head.  Next year may be a game where Bluefield tries to "out-Graham" Graham, for example, running the ball and shortening the game and doing what Graham tried to do for Bluefield for decades as Graham goes into that game likely having the athlete advantage, but Bluefield looks to probably be at least neutral to Graham or maybe better on the line of scrimmage early in the season.

I’m aware of the values of hard work, competing, and the best playing. Meritocracy. Here is a downside of what I observed and possible repercussions of the practices during that time. I am not claiming sour grapes as I was not a player during those years, nor had any children involved in the program. I’m grateful for my coaches that were there during that time. What I observed, was that only Devon Johnson fully took advantage of the opportunity presented him in the form of a D1 scholarship. On the flip side, I observed many homegrown kids who worked just as hard, or often harder, being replaced by “more talented” transfers. Those hard working kids lost interest and many did not continue to play. Similar to the daddy ball phenomenon, but without daddy calling the plays. I don’t have any intimate knowledge of who did right or wrong. I have the utmost faith in the coaching staff at that time. You have a duty to play who you feel is the best. That hard work, self sacrifice of the culture unwittingly took a backseat to talent acquisition. This isn’t across the board by any means. Many transfers are hard workers and many coaches great motivators. Some are not. But I observed in many cases the opposite of 88dawg. The weight room went from full above average to marginally talented workers, to fewer of those with a one or two more talented individuals. I fear that’s created a runaway train in many forms that greatly separates the haves and have nots. I don’t pretend to have an answer and am resigned to make the best of the situation. If you or your child is blessed with talent or resources, the opportunities have never been greater. The middle class (talent wise) of hard working role players seems to be shrinking.

Edited by tornado99
Specifying information

Want to know why he's ahead of everyone......go check out the video he just posted on FB. I posted a link in the gmen thread.

There’s no denying that he and his staff are making the most of one of the better situations in all of SWVA. The previous posts in this thread go hand in hand on how it is magnified. Success breeds success. It’s only magnified by an already greater talent pool and transfers being a part of that process aided by technology and media. The coaching staff and community deserves applause. By comparison, I would argue the Richlands era successes and accompanying criticism deserves just as much applause. The penalty paid now and warned about is steeper due to the area community discrepancy. In that video, I saw coaching experience, teamwork, community support, and a lot of God-given talent in that locker room. The G-men coaches have created a great culture. For those interested in transferring to be a part of that is completely understandable. However, if it’s because of D1 exposure, the majority of those born or transfer alike already had the D1 tools. Based on some of the staff and recent D1 athletes, Isabelles, Bradshaws, Turner-Bradshaws, Allens, Meadows, and possibly Roberts and Clements were primarily born than made. Those transferring for D1 dreams need to consider whether it really makes a difference in exposure. If that talented, you are likely to be noticed as a man among boys unless completely sabotaged by your home school.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, Dawg01 said:

They need to check and see if coach Willis White left those same cleats, which Salem also had on that day, at the VHSL office, you can probably pick them up for nothing now that we have turf. LOL!!!  BTW illegal cleats = 15 yard penalty for illegal equipment, called by the white cap, and the equipment has to be removed from the field.  Evidently, the white cap was so frustrated by Richlands out powering Salem that he forgot to check, or maybe, just maybe, both teams had on the same length cleats, so he let it roll.  Love the fact that you brought this into the fray. I love being a part of this board especially during the off season, we can always bring out the skeleton's and have a party. Love you guys 

3 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

They need to check and see if coach Willis White left those same cleats, which Salem also had on that day, at the VHSL office, you can probably pick them up for nothing now that we have turf. LOL!!!  BTW illegal cleats = 15 yard penalty for illegal equipment, called by the white cap, and the equipment has to be removed from the field.  Evidently, the white cap was so frustrated by Richlands out powering Salem that he forgot to check, or maybe, just maybe, both teams had on the same length cleats, so he let it roll.  Love the fact that you brought this into the fray. I love being a part of this board especially during the off season, we can always bring out the skeleton's and have a party. Love you guys 

Good biased try....to make it sound better....but wrong 

8 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Didn't Richlands bring in a helicopter that day to try and dry the field some with the rotor blades?

14 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Good biased try....to make it sound better....but wrong 

Sorry, but a former Salem player who participated in that game made a statement to  me that when Coach White was informed that the cleats had been purchased by Richlands, by a close Salem supporter, he made sure Salem had the same.  If I'm wrong about his statement then I'm wrong, but it was said.  I don't think a 1/16 in. would have made any difference in that game. Salem was out powered on the LOS and couldn't stop Richlands.  I think Richlands would have won even if they were wearing flip flops.  Biased or not, Richlands won.