Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

35 minutes ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Sorry, but a former Salem player who participated in that game made a statement to  me that when Coach White was informed that the cleats had been purchased by Richlands, by a close Salem supporter, he made sure Salem had the same.  If I'm wrong about his statement then I'm wrong, but it was said.  I don't think a 1/16 in. would have made any difference in that game. Salem was out powered on the LOS and couldn't stop Richlands.  I think Richlands would have won even if they were wearing flip flops.  Biased or not, Richlands won.

If that makes you feel better thats cool...flip flops now that's comical 

2 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

You are correct, that did happen, and some of us True Blue fans shoveled snow from the bleachers before the game, it was fun times.

I remember being 12 years old and working with my Dad. We drove by on 460 overlooking the stadium, and I saw the helicopter. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. Those were fond memories. Despite the cleats controversy later, in my blue-colored glasses this was football at its finest. A seemingly less-talented team overcoming a supposedly superior opponent and the elements.

Edited by tornado99
Added sentences.

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

If that makes you feel better thats cool...flip flops now that's comical 

It doesn't matter how I feel, it's just a game.  I'm an old fart that loves football and it doesn't matter to me who wins or looses.  I think we all have our favorite team, but I learned a long time ago not to get upset over a game.  Anyway, yeah you're right flip flops were comical, always had a hard time keeping them on my feet.  Just having fun during the off season and love chatting with guys on the board with a sense of humor, lord knows we need it in this day and time.  thanks for the comments.

On Richlands and Salem, I was there.  I have never in my life heard that Salem also had illegal cleats as well. This is a first in 30 years.  I will say this though, and it's a little fact few ever discuss.  Yes, the field was wet, but the mud was between the 30's, from the 30 yd line to the 30 yd line and over to the hashes, (40 yds total) but the other 60 yds of the field was simply wet grass, and when Salem had the ball and Richlands had the ball in these 60 yds of the field, Richlands also bested em on the line of scrimmage.  But, does longer cleats effect performance on wet grass and not mud?  I have no clue.  

What Vault did was IGNORANT, period.  There is no excuse for "not knowing," if he truly didn't know.  That decision led to a discussion 1/3rd of a century later around Christmas, so you tell me if the decision was boneheaded or not?  It was boneheaded.  Salem has always been tough and those teams back then were tough, but the team that once did beat them straight up and I mean pulverized them 2 or 3 years before that Richlands game was Lee High down at Lee.  I think it was 26-8 Lee, but it was worse than the score.  They physically beat up Salem and that just rarely, very rarely ever occured back then.  

On 12/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

On Richlands and Salem, I was there.  I have never in my life heard that Salem also had illegal cleats as well. This is a first in 30 years.  I will say this though, and it's a little fact few ever discuss.  Yes, the field was wet, but the mud was between the 30's, from the 30 yd line to the 30 yd line and over to the hashes, (40 yds total) but the other 60 yds of the field was simply wet grass, and when Salem had the ball and Richlands had the ball in these 60 yds of the field, Richlands also bested em on the line of scrimmage.  But, does longer cleats effect performance on wet grass and not mud?  I have no clue.  

What Vault did was IGNORANT, period.  There is no excuse for "not knowing," if he truly didn't know.  That decision led to a discussion 1/3rd of a century later around Christmas, so you tell me if the decision was boneheaded or not?  It was boneheaded.  Salem has always been tough and those teams back then were tough, but the team that once did beat them straight up and I mean pulverized them 2 or 3 years before that Richlands game was Lee High down at Lee.  I think it was 26-8 Lee, but it was worse than the score.  They physically beat up Salem and that just rarely, very rarely ever occured back then.  

Yes, Lee pounded them that game.  It was never close.  

• 4 months later...

I have heard some pretty persistent rumors that Grayson County is picking up a couple of talented transfers. One from the Bristol area and another from North Carolina. But given the superintendents propensity to talk ish to anyone and everyone within earshot, I don't know how valid the rumors are. 

4 hours ago, Pickett said:

Not sure Graham or any school had their Superintendent actively involved in process?

Grayson has the only superintendent I’ve ever seen actively on the recruiting trail. The former superintendent at Galax was pretty shady but I don’t think even he was actively recruiting athletes from other areas. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Grayson has the only superintendent I’ve ever seen actively on the recruiting trail. The former superintendent at Galax was pretty shady but I don’t think even he was actively recruiting athletes from other areas. 

Wilmore seems like a tool! 

On 5/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Trust me he is

Grayson County is playing a lie in all honesty. They are allowed to stay Class 1 with an enrollment of 364 which is larger than Lebanon and Riverheads. You can cry travel hardship all you want but that is totally not the reason for wanting to stay in Class 1. They don't want to compete with the bigger boys is what it comes down to. Do you really think they should be allowed to play down with teams like Twin Springs, Twin Valley, Bland, Castlewood, Rye Cove, Hurley, Bath County, Craig County to name a few. Go where the numbers put you or or why have Classifications? I think it took 3 appeals for them to stay down. Graham's numbers are only 393. Grayson will dominate in Class 1 and think they have accomplished something. It will be tainted and an asterisk should be placed beside their name. 

9 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Grayson County is playing a lie in all honesty. They are allowed to stay Class 1 with an enrollment of 364 which is larger than Lebanon and Riverheads. You can cry travel hardship all you want but that is totally not the reason for wanting to stay in Class 1. They don't want to compete with the bigger boys is what it comes down to. Graham's numbers are only 393. Grayson will dominate in Class 1 and think they have accomplished something. It will be tainted and an asterisk should be placed beside their name. 

Since when has Graham been 393? They’ve always been in the 500’s. Unless I haven’t been paying attention and they’ve fallen that far?

32 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Since when has Graham been 393? They’ve always been in the 500’s. Unless I haven’t been paying attention and they’ve fallen that far?

Since the VHSL released the last set of numbers. The new numbers are based on grades 9-11 not 9-12. Go to the VHSL website and you can find the enrollment and Classification for all schools. This might help somewhat. Got it from the VHSL website.

Graham 393  Page County 375  Luray 371  Central - L 367  Grayson County 364  Lebanon 363 
 Randolph-Henry 360  James River - B 359  Riverheads 357  Mountain View (Q) 355 George Wythe-W -  353  Westmoreland - Class 1 348  Buffalo Gap 346  Fort Chiswell 331  Brunswick 324 
Giles 323  Rappahannock 316  Chilhowie 315 

Graham accomplishes a lot to be one of the smallest schools in Class 2 and they don't run from competition. Only 29 kids between Graham and Grayson enrollment.

8 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Since the VHSL released the last set of numbers. The new numbers are based on grades 9-11 not 9-12. Go to the VHSL website and you can find the enrollment and Classification for all schools. This might help somewhat. Got it from the VHSL website.

Graham 393  Page County 375  Luray 371  Central - L 367  Grayson County 364  Lebanon 363 
 Randolph-Henry 360  James River - B 359  Riverheads 357  Mountain View (Q) 355 George Wythe-W -  353  Westmoreland - Class 1 348  Buffalo Gap 346  Fort Chiswell 331  Brunswick 324 
Giles 323  Rappahannock 316  Chilhowie 315 

Graham accomplishes a lot to be one of the smallest schools in Class 2 and they don't run from competition. Only 29 kids between Graham and Grayson enrollment.

Yet, Grayson petitioned to stay single A and superintendent threatened a lawsuit. Some teams don’t run from competition, others do I guess. 

1 thing to keep in mind guys.  Grayson and Riverheads both petitioned to stay Class 1, but lots of Riverheads fans, alums, etc, didn't like the decision by their AD and administrators to petition to stay in Class 1.  It was an unpopular decision (kind of like the last 23 years in the USA with our people in DC and the people all across the country.)  I'm trying to keep politics out of this, but you get the analogy.   It's clear Grayson has an AD over there with a bit of history of being declared "different" by many.  My point is, when you see a Grayson or Riverheads fan at a game or in passing or whatever, don't immediately make the assumption that "this guy" wanted to stay in Class 1.  I don't know about Grayson and their fan base, parents, alums, other school officials, but I feel pretty confident in writing that if we could poll every Riverheads fan/alum that follows them and is in the know, the majority likely did Not want to stay in Class 1, and they wanted to move to Class 2, but it only takes 1 or 2 people with power to create chaos or in this case, unpopularity.

The Grayson Co.  AD is the schools Twitter monitor, nothing more.  He got  the job soon after his Dad was elected to the school board.  The Superintendent  alone makes every  decision regarding athletics etc.  

1 hour ago, Pickett said:

The Grayson Co.  AD got  the job soon after his Dad was elected to the school board. 

Is that the reason why the previous two AD's were "reassigned" to other roles within the school system?

7 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Has Grayson started on their turf field yet?  I was there a few weeks ago and nothing had started.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Piss the wrong government review agencies off in charge of distributing construction permits, delays become inevitable.

They were finally able to get started a few weeks ago.