Games you’d like to see

Wolf1207

7 hours ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Ah. Yes. Been there. Close to Virginia Beach. Rough area. 

I was thinking of the Hampton in Carter County. Very good program. 

I think Hampton (Carter Co) would be a great game for several SWVA teams.

I lived in Norfolk for 18 months many years ago.  Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and York County is considered the "Peninsula."  Across the Bridge and over to Norfolk is the "Southside."  The Southside is Norfolk, Va Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Suffolk.  This entire area together is known as Hampton Roads or Tidewater. 

The actual Eastern Shore is it's own thing and Hampton isn't apart of the Eastern Shore.  The Eastern Shore is the rural Peninsula that extends down from Maryland all the way down to very close to Norfolk/VA Beach, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is the long bridge that goes over the Bay/Ocean to reach it.  The Eastern Shore is rural, not city, and schools on the Eastern Shore are Chincoteague High, Nandua High, and Northampton High.

21 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Y'all get O'Quinn, it could happen. 

Even with OQuinn, there has to be a 21st century passing scheme with 21st century routes, passing sets, and pass blocking schemes on the designed pass plays. 

Big Stone and Appalachia has football in its DNA. There's just no way possible that since 2010, Union hasn't had a player on its roster that could not throw it for over 1500 yds in a season.  So, if you are O'Quinn, can you be sure the offensive look is going to radically change simply because he joins the team? I'm not so sure that it would. He might be walking into a situation where his pass attempts for the season are cut by 50% to 2/3rds compared to his freshmen or sophomore year at RV. It could go the other way as well and the Bears start slinging it around.  Hard to tell.

Graham vs Lord Botetourt.  Every year.  It would build it’s own rivalry.  Southwest Virginia IS 2A in Virginia.   But it has teams that can play with higher classification teams in the Roanoke/Central Virginia area.  I’d like to see more do like Graham has been doing and venture east to showcase the talent in the SW corner.  

3 hours ago, GHS89 said:

Graham vs Lord Botetourt.  Every year.  It would build it’s own rivalry.  Southwest Virginia IS 2A in Virginia.   But it has teams that can play with higher classification teams in the Roanoke/Central Virginia area.  I’d like to see more do like Graham has been doing and venture east to showcase the talent in the SW corner.  

Unfortunately, several 2A teams in SWVA don’t want to venture out too much and are content to play 1A teams. This is the very reason the point system needs changed. Playing a 1A school should earn you 1A points not 2A points. 

3 hours ago, GHS89 said:

this is a matchup I've thought about as well. would love to see it. LB has played both Bluefield and Princeton in recent years so it could happen.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:09 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

I wasn't aware that Hampton fans are spoiled, entitled, and whiny.

Go read the message boards on Coach T....as a Gate City alum and supporter they are very similar. 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:24 PM, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Ah. Yes. Been there. Close to Virginia Beach. Rough area. 

I was thinking of the Hampton in Carter County. Very good program. 

you are correct the Hampton in Carter County.

Hampton is one I always thought would be cool to have a rivalry with as well.  Those folks are something else over there.  When they won the state semifinal game in 2022 one of the parents pulled their truck on the field to chain up the goalpost and pull it out of the ground.  Its just different.

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

Go read the message boards on Coach T....as a Gate City alum and supporter they are very similar. 

I was just kidding with my comment and none of those attributes apply to you. Your posts are always reasonable and insightful. I'm only vaguely familiar with Hampton HS (TN), but do know Carter County is a different world.  What are some of the similarities you see between the two programs/fan bases?

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I was just kidding with my comment and none of those attributes apply to you. Your posts are always reasonable and insightful. I'm only vaguely familiar with Hampton HS (TN), but do know Carter County is a different world.  What are some of the similarities you see between the two programs/fan bases?

No offense taken at all. I try to always think before I hit send. I have been through the ringer with Gate City and have grown as a fan and a poster.

I think it would be pretty cool idea to have a crossover with  M7 and SWD. 3 team rotation so Graham would play Union Lee and Wise on a 2 year cycle and Tazewell would play Ridgeview Battle and Gate city then they switch. That would keep teams from scheduling weaker 1A schedules non conference 

On 1/1/2023 at 10:22 PM, Mountain Football said:

If I ever get to retire I'd like to watch random games like JDHoss does on here. I enjoy his updates. HS football is hard to beat.

I highly recommend retirement. We've been all over the southeast watching games, and when we moved to south Florida it enabled us to catch 2 games a week because some of the schools here share city stadiums, so we wind up with a lot of Thursday games. An added bonus is finding some good hole in the wall restaurants when we go to games, like Dixie Fried Chicken in Belle Glade, which reminds me of the chicken they used to serve at the Patio in Pennington Gap. As for games I'd like to see, the Muck Bowl is still on my list. We could've went this year, but it was a mismatch and Pahokee smoked Glades Central. I'm hoping it'll be more competitive next year. 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, 1inStripes said:

Hampton is one I always thought would be cool to have a rivalry with as well.  Those folks are something else over there.  When they won the state semifinal game in 2022 one of the parents pulled their truck on the field to chain up the goalpost and pull it out of the ground.  Its just different.

"Can't crush a Crabber." I know you are referring to Hampton in Tennessee. As for the bunch in Virginia down east, this has been their chant/slogan for decades.  I've never seen such speed and athleticism in all my life for a High School game watching some of those mid 90s Hampton teams. 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, 1inStripes said:

On 1/1/2023 at 10:35 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Even with OQuinn, there has to be a 21st century passing scheme with 21st century routes, passing sets, and pass blocking schemes on the designed pass plays. 

Big Stone and Appalachia has football in its DNA. There's just no way possible that since 2010, Union hasn't had a player on its roster that could not throw it for over 1500 yds in a season.  So, if you are O'Quinn, can you be sure the offensive look is going to radically change simply because he joins the team? I'm not so sure that it would. He might be walking into a situation where his pass attempts for the season are cut by 50% to 2/3rds compared to his freshmen or sophomore year at RV. It could go the other way as well and the Bears start slinging it around.  Hard to tell.

Actually threw for alot of yards a few years back with the Hall kid pretty sure he was around 3000 yards but Union had a crazy amount of athletes at the time 

On 1/9/2023 at 1:09 PM, Duke2015 said:

Actually threw for alot of yards a few years back with the Hall kid pretty sure he was around 3000 yards but Union had a crazy amount of athletes at the time 

It is a shame to see athletic kids come through a program and not be utilized properly.  It truncates possibilities for that athlete.  Over the next 5-10 years we will see the phasing out of those coaches that simply refuse to adapt to their athletes.  Look no further than this year's region championship.  Tony Palmer said, "Shit, this is going to be a shoot-out, let me go straight Wildcat and get it to my best athlete 30+ times."  RV responded by not adapting/adjusting and managed to get it to their best athlete 2-3 times.  Graham wins by 21.  I see positive movement from Turner at Union....he is adapting to the talent he has.  Not enough but he is.  In today's day and age, it is simply unacceptable for coaching staffs not to be multiple....and be damn good at being multiple.  This is why no one is catching Graham for a while.  Tony gets it while everyone else is content to "run their system".  Tony adapts and isn't dead set on beating you a certain way.  Listen, if you switch coaching staffs Palmer wins a state championship with Ridgeview this year and he very well might have done it with Union.  That says a lot.