Coaching changes

THS6805

I've heard Mark Palmer could be interested along with former Chilhowie and Patrick Henry defensive coordinator Billy Testerman. As for the current assistants, I could see maybe two applying for the job. Chilhowie is an inviting job with the tradition it has then add in that it is the largest school in 1D. Those two things alone usually equal success on a yearly basis. I'm sure whoever gets the job will be a good candidate and some good coaches will be turned away. Good luck to whoever gets the job!

• 2 weeks later...

Marshall Doss former E/H and Ferrum Def Coord would be good hire.  He has had huge impact at Grayson .  He is making good money at Grayson Co so not sure Chilhowie could pry him away?

• 2 weeks later...

13 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Any word or rumors about Tarter’s length of stay at Richlands?  I thought he self- stated that he was a bridge to the next hire.

I think it’s his as long as he wants it.  In the beginning after Wells left, I thought Tarter didn’t want it because of his son playing college ball. Wonder if they’d replace him with a Richlands’ assistant or former assistant or go with someone with no significant ties to Richlands. I really wondered how long Harris might stay at Tazewell with both his boys playing at collegiate level now. Right now, I don’t think either is going anywhere but I could be wrong. I just haven’t heard any talk of them leaving their respective programs. 

10 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think it’s his as long as he wants it.  In the beginning after Wells left, I thought Tarter didn’t want it because of his son playing college ball. Wonder if they’d replace him with a Richlands’ assistant or former assistant or go with someone with no significant ties to Richlands. I really wondered how long Harris might stay at Tazewell with both his boys playing at collegiate level now. Right now, I don’t think either is going anywhere but I could be wrong. I just haven’t heard any talk of them leaving their respective programs. 

A little birdie told me that Harris is happy where he is and loves it, No intentions of leaving.  But even the best person can have a change of heart for whatever reason.  I can assure Harris will be there for this coming year.

Just out of curiosity I went back and looked at all the current coaches in 2D to see how long they have been there. The average time at their current school is just under 4 years out of those 13 coaches (that includes Lebanon because they are coming back to 2D. Turner at Union has the most years at 12 followed by Palmer with 8 and Harris with 6. 7 out of that 13 have yet to see a class all the way through yet from freshman to seniors. Amburgy (Abingdon), Houseright (Gate City), and Ricker (John Battle) just now completed their 4th year. Since coaches do not get fired for poor performance on field in this area I really do not see anything in 2D coming open anytime soon. 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jags52 said:

Just out of curiosity I went back and looked at all the current coaches in 2D to see how long they have been there. The average time at their current school is just under 4 years out of those 13 coaches (that includes Lebanon because they are coming back to 2D. Turner at Union has the most years at 12 followed by Palmer with 8 and Harris with 6. 7 out of that 13 have yet to see a class all the way through yet from freshman to seniors. Amburgy (Abingdon), Houseright (Gate City), and Ricker (John Battle) just now completed their 4th year. Since coaches do not get fired for poor performance on field in this area I really do not see anything in 2D coming open anytime soon. 

Coach Mullins at Central started the program after consolidation as HC and stayed for a season or two before turning it over to Luke Owens. Mullins stayed on staff for all of Owens tenure (I believe) and is now HC once again.   Not HC the entire time but hes been at that program for years. I think he was on staff at either Pound or JJ Kelly before consolidation.