Coaching changes

THS6805

Not in SWVA area but all ive heard is Altavista and Parry McClure, also wondering who will be the head coach of the combining Alleghany and Covington HS.

1 hour ago, 44cov3 said:

Not in SWVA area but all ive heard is Altavista and Parry McClure, also wondering who will be the head coach of the combining Alleghany and Covington HS.

I wonder if anyone in the area would go after those jobs causing a domino effect like what has happened in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

May just be what it is, just a big rumor. Cousin Claude works over in Kudzu County and told us that someone mentioned that a SWD Football Coach was thinking about resigning. We’re not going to start or spread any rumors by mentioning a name or school, however, has anyone else heard such a story?   Uncle Percy always says, “A rumor is just like a Poison Ivy Rash, if you scratch it, it keeps spreading”.

For the unknowing, Kudzu County is Buchanan County. From the top of Shortt’s Gap to the Kentucky State Line, Kudzu is everywhere.

20 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

May just be what it is, just a big rumor. Cousin Claude works over in Kudzu County and told us that someone mentioned that a SWD Football Coach was thinking about resigning. We’re not going to start or spread any rumors by mentioning a name or school, however, has anyone else heard such a story?   Uncle Percy always says, “A rumor is just like a Poison Ivy Rash, if you scratch it, it keeps spreading”.

For the unknowing, Kudzu County is Buchanan County. From the top of Shortt’s Gap to the Kentucky State Line, Kudzu is everywhere.

I've heard the same rumor, but even if it is itching, I'll not scratch it.

• 3 weeks later...

It was rumored Smyth County might have two head coaching positions come available but nothing has happened yet. Again rumors are rumors until something officially happens. Coaches put a lot of time in and deserve every penny they make as they are away from their families quiet a bit. I saw an article in the Bristol paper several years ago where Smyth County was the highest paying SWVA county in coaching supplements. Looking at this years county salary scale on their website head football pays around $7,000 to $8,000 and head basketball pays around $6,000 to $7,000 depending on number of teaching years and not coaching years. BasebalI on the other hand pays significantly less with a set stipend of $1,960. Again most coaches coach for the love of the game and not money as you're definitely not going to get rich by no means. Does any other county pay more?

On 2/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, Hokie Bound said:

It was rumored Smyth County might have two head coaching positions come available but nothing has happened yet. Again rumors are rumors until something officially happens. Coaches put a lot of time in and deserve every penny they make as they are away from their families quiet a bit. I saw an article in the Bristol paper several years ago where Smyth County was the highest paying SWVA county in coaching supplements. Looking at this years county salary scale on their website head football pays around $7,000 to $8,000 and head basketball pays around $6,000 to $7,000 depending on number of teaching years and not coaching years. BasebalI on the other hand pays significantly less with a set stipend of $1,960. Again most coaches coach for the love of the game and not money as you're definitely not going to get rich by no means. Does any other county pay more?

They are going to allow Robinson at Chilhowie to do all 3 which blows my mind honestly but more power to him. I wonder if Chilhowie had a better year if he would have walked away. I would say its hard to end your coaching career by choice on a 0-10 season. I also heard rumors that Northwood's coach was stepping down but I only heard that from one person and it hasnt happen yet so I dont see it happening this season. 

As far as the pay goes that all depends on teaching. If you are a newer teach or dont work in the school system Smyth pays much more. Because its a flat rate plus a 1/2 months. If I am not mistaken other counties go off a straight percentage. In Washington that is 11% so you would it takes longer to get up to even pay.

Smyth county did raise the baseball pay by giving the head coach a 1/2 month on top of the $1,960 which at least makes it kind of worth it but the extra hours spent working on the field as a head coach for baseball was almost of waste of time for under two grand. 

No body coaches for the money they have to love the game but it is nice to be compensated for the time put in and the time spent away from their families. God Bless a coaches wife they deserve a metal and maybe even a stipend their self. 

On 2/10/2023 at 8:18 PM, MMcMahon26 said:

Fort Chiswell has hired Pulaski County assistant Zane Quesenberry has their new head coach.

If I’m not mistaken, Quesenberry is a Fort Chiswell graduate. Hopefully, he learned a few things while assisting at Pulaski and will stay long enough to build the program, offer consistency, and has success at the helm for the Pioneers. Those poor boys have been through the wringer with coaching changes. I hope Quesenberry rights the ship so to speak. 

Coach Robinson did a good job and took pride in what he did. He always had his teams prepared and he has given Chilhowie everything possible that God put in him and he will continue to do so as AD. Honestly I think he was starting to get some burn out which happens to all coaches. The man has been going strong for 25 years. Good job Coach Robinson!