Tazewell- Graham Ended Abruptly

Gridiron60

8 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

If JV players play on the varsity it is my understanding that in Virginia they can not go back to the JV team. Is this correct?

Players are allowed to play a certain number of games per season.  I'm not sure what the number is.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

If JV players play on the varsity it is my understanding that in Virginia they can not go back to the JV team. Is this correct?

22 Regular season games is the maximum that any VHSL Basketball player can play. The level at which they play them is irrelevant. In addition, you are only allowed one contest per night unlike Tennessee and Kentucky. 

2 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

22 Regular season games is the maximum that any VHSL Basketball player can play. The level at which they play them is irrelevant. In addition, you are only allowed one contest per night unlike Tennessee and Kentucky. 

Is this a new rule? It's been a while but I've seen a few players play the JV game and varsity game in same night

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Is this a new rule? It's been a while but I've seen a few players play the JV game and varsity game in same night

This one is as old as the hills to my knowledge, Va talked once upon a time about going to 6 quarters a night but their VHSL head health individual bucked on the idea last I heard. I very well could be wrong cause you know how traditions are from one school to the next. But I have never seen one player play 2 games on the same night and get away with it as a VHSL sanctioned school. 

Every school in the cumberland adheres to this rule, Ive not been to a lot of M7 games but I could easily ask if needed. 

33 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

This one is as old as the hills to my knowledge, Va talked once upon a time about going to 6 quarters a night but their VHSL head health individual bucked on the idea last I heard. I very well could be wrong cause you know how traditions are from one school to the next. But I have never seen one player play 2 games on the same night and get away with it as a VHSL sanctioned school. 

Every school in the cumberland adheres to this rule, Ive not been to a lot of M7 games but I could easily ask if needed. 

I've seen it 3 times but it's been a good while ago...now none played all 8 quartets that night but probably was in the game at least 6 of the 8 quarters 

6 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Looks like this scuffle cost both teams a district win.. honestly I don’t think Tazewell beat VA High at full strength but I know Richlands isn’t 29 points better than Graham 

Graham was down all 5 starters against Richlands. It was terrible basketball all the way around. If you have NFHS, just watch a few minutes, it’s pitiful. Kids all play hard just not a lot of good ball handling & playing. M7 is going to have SWD for lunch come playoffs, probably on girls’ side too. SWD is just way down all the way around. Graham is decent at full strength but they’re not the same level as in the past few years. 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Graham was down all 5 starters against Richlands. It was terrible basketball all the way around. If you have NFHS, just watch a few minutes, it’s pitiful. Kids all play hard just not a lot of good ball handling & playing. M7 is going to have SWD for lunch come playoffs, probably on girls’ side too. SWD is just way down all the way around. Graham is decent at full strength but they’re not the same level as in the past few years. 

Virginia High is better than anyone in the M7 

Gate City, Abingdon, Va High, Ridgeview all the same to me.  Flip a coin.  If Graham wouldn't have had the stupidity and their youthful starters could have gained the valuable experience in playing games, they would have had a small shot, but still a shot, to possibly pull an upset over one of the M7 teams in the regionals.  IF...they had their starters and game experience, they would have had a shot to knock off VA High in the SWD tournament and slip into the Regionals and advance out of the district. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Gate City, Abingdon, Va High, Ridgeview all the same to me.  Flip a coin.  If Graham wouldn't have had the stupidity and their youthful starters could have gained the valuable experience in playing games, they would have had a small shot, but still a shot, to possibly pull an upset over one of the M7 teams in the regionals.  IF...they had their starters and game experience, they would have had a shot to knock off VA High in the SWD tournament and slip into the Regionals and advance out of the district. 

Abingdon and Va High are considerably better coached than Ridgeview and GC. Talent wise I would say you are probably corrext

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Virginia High is better than anyone in the M7 

They could be, I guess we’ll see but overall, I still think M7 is stronger in general than SWD in both boys & girls BB. I’ll be pulling for SWD including VA High if it comes down to them an an M7 team in region. 

Ridgeview has been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this season best I can tell.  Good win over Gate City but what I would call bad losses to Honaker and Chilhowie.

On 1/28/2023 at 7:40 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I would consider Richlands girls to be a contender to at least avoid a M7 sweep in the Region D opening round.  

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ridgeview has been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this season best I can tell.  Good win over Gate City but what I would call bad losses to Honaker and Chilhowie.

I would consider Richlands girls to be a contender to at least avoid a M7 sweep in the Region D opening round.  

No doubt Richlands should make it past the first round. I'm not sure they can come out on top though in the region. They've played a pretty weak schedule which will hurt when playing the better M7 teams.