Will never ever happen but thinking about a "what if Virginia was one classification for basketball like Kentucky"

BlueDevil4Life2008

I found this stored away on a flash drive in my office. I thought I would post this.  This is something that will never ever take place in Virginia but interesting to think about. 

In Kentucky they play 16 Regions with 64 Districts. 

Now this is a concept that will never ever ever come about in the state of Virginia. Since we have a forum, it is ok to dream about and to talk about what this might be like in the state of Virginia. 

So here is the conceptual dream. 

16 Regions.  All 16 Region winners go to John Paul Jones Arena for the VHSL's state of Virginia "Sweet Sixteen". 

The set up:

District Champions regular season get automatic region bid

District Tournament - If District Regular Season champion makes the District Tournament final, the other opponent to that team is the second qualifier. If the District Regular Season champion does not make the District Tournament final then the winner of the tournament goes on with the regular season champion. 

Region Tournament - District Regular Season Champion and District Tournament Champion (or qualifier w/ regular season champion) are the top two seeds.  Top 8 seeds cross bracket with another region every other year then repeat again on the 4th year. 

Region Tournament Champion goes on to the Sweet Sixteen as the representative of that region in the State Tournament. 

State Tournament - Region 1-16 have a blind draw to see who they play in the tournament. 

Down here on this post is half of the 16 regions stretching from Ewing to Richmond.  Northern Virginia and the Eastern coast have not been completed.  

Again.  This will never ever take place but an interesting format to say the least.  Giving teams from the west to the east a chance to play the best of the best and to be apart of something they may never have had the chance to dream about. 

Some of the matchups make for some pretty interesting scenarios. It also makes the battles that would take place between communities go about at a fever pitch. Some of the crowds that would attend these region tournaments would be crazy. 

A great dream for sure.  

One of the questions you could pose out of this set up.  Which region in the state of Virginia is the best basketball region in the state?

In my opinion, the best overall competitive region of the group listed would have to be Region 3.  That would be a basketball brawl come region tournament time. 

Region 1's championship site would be played at UVA Wise. 

Region 2's championship site would be at Radford University's Dedmon Center

Region 3's championship site would be at Cassell Coliseum at Virginia Tech or the Berglund Center in Roanoke

Region 4's championship site would be at Atlantic Union Bank Center at James Madison University or Virginia Military Institute in Lexington

Region 1 - 19 schools

District 1 - Thomas Walker, Lee High, Gate City, Twin Springs, Rye Cove

District 2 - JI Burton, Union, Central, Eastside, Castlewood

District 3 - Virginia High, John Battle, Abingdon, Patrick Henry, Holston

District 4 - Lebanon, Honaker, Ridgeview, Buchanan Co. HS

Region 2 - 17 schools

District 1 - Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, Bland County

District 2 - Northwood, Chilhowie, Marion, Grayson County

District 3 - Rural Retreat, George Wythe, Fort Chiswell, Galax, Carroll County

District 4 - Narrows, Giles, Pulaski County, Radford

Region 3 - 22 schools

District 1 - Floyd County, Patrick County, Martinsville, Magna Vista, Bassett, Franklin County

District 2 - Auburn, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Eastern Montgomery, Salem, William Byrd

District 3 - Craig County, Alleghany, James River, Lord Botetourt, Glenvar

District 4 - Northside, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Roanoke-Patrick Henry, William Fleming

Region 4 - 22 schools

District 1 - Highland, Bath County, Fort Defiance, Rockbridge County, Parry McCluer, Stuarts Draft

District 2 - Amherst County, Nelson County, Albemarle, Western Albemarle, Monticello, Charlottesville

District 3 - Waynesboro, Staunton, Riverheads, Buffalo Gap, Wilson Memorial

District 4 - Broadway, East Rockingham, Spotswood, Turner Ashby, Harrisonburg

Region 5 - 22 schools 

District 1 - EC Glass, Heritage, Jefferson Forest, Liberty, Staunton River, Liberty Christian Academy

District 2 - Chatham, Dan River, Gretna, Tunstall, George Washington-Danville

District 3 - Brookville, William Campbell, Rustburg, Altavista, Appomattox, Buckingham

District 4 - Halifax County, Charlotte County, Prince Edward County, Cumberland County, Central-Lunenburg, Mecklenburg County

Region 6 - 20 schools

District 1 - James Wood, Sherando, Millbrook, John Handley, Clarke County

District 2 - Central-Woodstock, Mountain View, Strasburg, Page County, Luray

District 3 - Warren County, Rappahannock County, Fauquier, Kettle Run, Liberty

District 4 - William Monroe, Madison County, Orange County, Culpeper County, Eastern View

Region 7 - 21 schools

District 1 - Louisa County, Fluvanna County, Goochland, Powhatan, Amelia

District 2 - Nottoway, Brunswick, Dinwiddie County, Greensville County, Sussex Central

District 3 - Franklin, Southampton, Lakeland, King's Fork, Nansemond River

District 4 - Hopewell, Petersburg, Prince George, Surry County, Smithfield, Windsor

Region 8 - 25 schools

District 1 - L.C. Bird, Carver Academy, Cosby, Clover Hill, Thomas Dale, James River

District 2 - Manchester, Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Midlothian, Monacan, Deep Run

District 3 - Mills Godwin, Douglas Freeman, Henrico, Glen Allen, Hermitage, Highland Springs

District 4 -  JR Tucker, Varina, Thomas Jefferson, Armstrong, George Wythe, Huguenot, John Marshall

I'm very much a proponent of the one state champ in all sports except football model.  I like what you've done here with this.

Having gone to the 15th Region tournament last year at Appalachian Wireless Arena, I can say it was one of the greatest basketball atmospheres I've ever been in.  Place was probably about 90% full and the intensity of the game was top notch knowing if you lost your season was done.  Pike County Central and Betsy Layne nearly had a bench clearer in the final seconds of their semifinal game.

I like it, but it would eliminate teams around here from pretty much any chance at a state title.  Unless a school was able to recruit a super team. With the local districts and regions would be intense and fun to watch. The eastern Ky regionals are really fun to watch. 

48 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I like it, but it would eliminate teams around here from pretty much any chance at a state title.  Unless a school was able to recruit a super team. With the local districts and regions would be intense and fun to watch. The eastern Ky regionals are really fun to watch. 

So......you are saying the Graham G-Men would have a chance?   "He now ducks and braces for the blows."  I had to do it boys.  It's now officially the off-season and boredom rules the day.

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

So......you are saying the Graham G-Men would have a chance?   "He now ducks and braces for the blows."  I had to do it boys.  It's now officially the off-season and boredom rules the day.

I would say Graham, Union, and Abingdon or Va High are the only ones that could pull it off.  Central and Richlands on rare occasions.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:04 PM, Wolf1207 said:

Like John Marshall and their "recruiting" doesn't already eliminate teams around here from a state title.  Not much of a difference would you think?

36 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Like John Marshall and their "recruiting" doesn't already eliminate teams around here from a state title.  Not much of a difference would you think?

Yeah but in that system John Marshall would be playing the school from NOVA that’s highly ranked for the only state title. There is nothing that’s going yo be completely fair.  But winning a region around here is a big deal.  Going to a sweet 16 type format would make an even bigger deal.