Central @ Union (Monday)

Wade_1

These two split in the regular season. Both teams are young. Freshman and Sophomore loaded teams. This won’t be the last meeting between the two teams. Winner gets at least the 3 seed in the Region. Who wins this time around? 

This is a stellar matchup in my opinion. Both teams are hot at the right time. 

For the second half of conference play:

Union has beaten GC(by 4), Ridgeview(by 3) , Battle (In OT) , Lee (by 19)

(4-2, with loses to Abingdon and Central) 

Central has beaten GC(by 10), Union(by 2), Battle(by 14), Lee (by 19)

(4-2 with loses to Abingdon and Ridgeview, they took Ridgeview to OT and had a good look at the buzzer) 

I am expecting a packed house, better get some popcorn. 

1 hour ago, BSG Historian said:

Coin flip game, seemingly every game Union plays is. If they can control Collins and/or he gets in foul trouble they win. Shame these two are playing in opening round, both are playing better than GC/RV right now.

Agree 100%

Outside of Ramsey, Collins is the best player in the M7.

Central has to be kicking itself going down the mountain tonight. They never seem to beat Union if talent is close and tonight was no different.

No exaggeration, I would guess Wise shot 70-75% in the first half and was behind at halftime. 

Union took care of the ball and played their best game of the season when they had to have it.

I think Collins missed one shot, the entire game. Kid is a special player and he is money at the foul line.

Bunch for Union had his best game and Huff made some crucial free throws. 

I’d love for someone to explain to me how Union got two T’s and Central got zero.

What a great game. Wise up two possessions under 4 to play and they couldn’t hold it.

I think Union has now won six of the last 7 in this rivalry. 

It’s not the same without TJ but some of the juice came back tonight. 

33 minutes ago, BSG Historian said:

Outside of Ramsey, Collins is the best player in the M7.

Central has to be kicking itself going down the mountain tonight. They never seem to beat Union if talent is close and tonight was no different.

No exaggeration, I would guess Wise shot 70-75% in the first half and was behind at halftime. 

Union took care of the ball and played their best game of the season when they had to have it.

I think Collins missed one shot, the entire game. Kid is a special player and he is money at the foul line.

Bunch for Union had his best game and Huff made some crucial free throws. 

I’d love for someone to explain to me how Union got two T’s and Central got zero.

What a great game. Wise up two possessions under 4 to play and they couldn’t hold it.

I think Union has now won six of the last 7 in this rivalry. 

It’s not the same without TJ but some of the juice came back tonight. 

Yeah luckily the GC/JB game ended early so I could watch this one. I would say Collins has an argument against Ramsey numbers wise. I’d love to see his numbers as he’s been close to several triple doubles this year.  I thought the refs were a little shaky on this one both ways. At times they weren’t calling anything and at times they called everything. Collins getting in foul trouble significantly impacted the game. Those were some questionable calls. In my opinion, these two teams will have some close and contested battles over the next so many years as both teams are very young.

Central will head to Virginia high for the first round in the Region.

Union can move up

2 hours ago, BSG Historian said:

Correct, if Union beats Abingdon and GC beats RV then they pass RV in that scenario too.

RV should beat GC, of course they should've beat Union. RV has done less with more talent than anyone in Region D this year. Time is running out to correct that.

I can agree with that.  They have some very good wins, but they also have some very bad losses as well.

8 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I can agree with that.  They have some very good wins, but they also have some very bad losses as well.

That seems to be an overall theme at RV since consolidation.  This is probably the best basketball team they’ve put out there for the boys.  But looking at sports overall, that is the best way to describe the whole program. 

4 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

That seems to be an overall theme at RV since consolidation.  This is probably the best basketball team they’ve put out there for the boys.  But looking at sports overall, that is the best way to describe the whole program. 

It is the whole athletic department.  There has been several years where the girls basketball should have defeated Wise and probably won a state championship.  In each situation they couldn't make it happen.  The football team returned its single most talented football class for its senior season and actually regressed under yet another coaching change.  Anyone watching the boys can see that its street ball...little to no structure with a couple of kids that take way too many bad shots.  The school doesn't seem to ever realize its window of opportunity and prepare for it.  The youth leagues are ripe with constant coaching changes and severe daddy ball.  They have been blessed with the best facilities this side of Roanoke and an array of naturally gifted athletes coming through the ranks.  If they could get some structure, vision, work-ethic and preparation in place they would fill up some trophy cases for sure.  Overall, the program has underachieved to its expectations.