First Day of Baseball for 2023 Season

SwvaOG

For some reason this sport doesn't get as much traction on here as it should, especially considering that we have some quality programs in the region (Abingdon, John Battle, Lebanon, etc.).  This is also a sport that splits pretty evenly talent wise in 2A Region D between the M7 and the SWD (I'm already counting Lebanon as SWD). Between all of the fans on the board, I'm sure we can do a proper write up on predictions and which teams and players to watch.

The SWD will be interesting as every program will have a new head coach. I think it will be a fun spring for that aspect alone.

What does kill me is how Region D schedules spring sports. It is ok for these schools to not schedule every athletic event on the same day at the same time. 

Would love to hear their reasoning behind that.

21 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

For some reason this sport doesn't get as much traction on here as it should, especially considering that we have some quality programs in the region (Abingdon, John Battle, Lebanon, etc.).  This is also a sport that splits pretty evenly talent wise in 2A Region D between the M7 and the SWD (I'm already counting Lebanon as SWD). Between all of the fans on the board, I'm sure we can do a proper write up on predictions and which teams and players to watch.

Agreed. Since all three of those teams youthfulness caught up with them last year it is highly likely class 1-3 champions will come from region d.

20 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

The SWD will be interesting as every program will have a new head coach. I think it will be a fun spring for that aspect alone.

What does kill me is how Region D schedules spring sports. It is ok for these schools to not schedule every athletic event on the same day at the same time. 

The Cumberland coaches voted to move district games from Tuesday/Friday to Monday/Thursday for their base schedule for baseball/softball.  There will be some variation there.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, cityofRaven said:

It was initially done one of the many Covid protocols, At least in the SWD. (Don't ask me why, bc I still don't understand the reasoning). It is beyond time to change up the schedule dates and times.

Also, IMO, Saturdays should be set aside as at least a makeup date for when games are cancelled. I lost count of all then times a baseball/softball game was rained out by the evening with Saturday afternoon being perfect weather and no makeup game. 

Lebanon looks to be loaded again, roughly returning everyone from last season.  Coaching wise they won't miss a beat. Their new head coach has been an assistant for a few seasons  now. They definitely should be the best team in the SWD and quite possibly the Region. They may look like they are struggling out of the gate due to games against Tennessee High and Abingdon. I look for them to contend if not win  it all 1A when everything is said and done. 

3 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Lebanon looks to be loaded again, roughly returning everyone from last season.  Coaching wise they won't miss a beat. Their new head coach has been an assistant for a few seasons  now. They definitely should be the best team in the SWD and quite possibly the Region. They may look like they are struggling out of the gate due to games against Tennessee High and Abingdon. I look for them to contend if not win  it all 1A when everything is said and done. 

Heard that they scrimmaged David Crockett (4a school from Tennessee) and beat them pretty handily.

8 hours ago, Stelley said:

Heard that they scrimmaged David Crockett (4a school from Tennessee) and beat them pretty handily.

I had heard that too. I don't think Crockett is a good 4A team in Tennessee. I think they won 8 games last season. It's still good experience. Tennessee High and Abingdon will be interesting. I think they've got Richlands and Virginia High schedulesd early on too. 

On 2/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, SwvaOG said:

It’s seems odd to see a post about SWVA baseball and no mention of my beloved Bearcats. Times are achangin’…

12 hours ago, stantheman said:

yep,  for the year from what I hear

Very unfortunate to hear that he will be out. Could still win the district if Battle doesn’t have anything to say about it.

SWD should come down to VA High and Marion again IMO

1A. VA High only had 2 seniors on that team last year that wasnt the best that Daniels had but still a well coached team overall and won the district. The health of Brody Jones will be a key factor in their season and they have to replace Issac Berry pitched 7 innings every other game and was a work horse for them. They need to find a good #2 behind Jones that is if he is fully healed and ready to play

1B. Marion also only graduated 2 seniors and one of which is playing for Emory now. They did however lose the Perkins kid to a prep school so between him and Thomas they lost a lot of innings on the mound. Coach Cannon is known for developing pitchers so if that trend continues they might be in the drivers seat. Offense shouldnt be a problem they return a lot of good bats from last season

3. Tazewell has a lot of key pieces coming back. I think they could challenge Marion and VA high if they can keep their heads on straight. Myers and Duty should be solid on the mound for them. They arnt quite at the level of Jones and Hale (Richlands) but they are pretty solid. Luke Childress has a great bat and should have a pretty good year for the bulldogs. Last season they seemed to let their emotions take over in big games and it cost them.

4. Richlands will have a lot a new faces where they got hit hard by graduation. They will have a fighting chance to win any game that Ben Hale pitches. He is only a junior and was a stud on the mound last year. They will have a chance to compete in game just off of Hale's arm but after that I do not think they have much. They did win the JV championship if that means anything to anyone last season

5. Graham hasnt had much to write home about baseball wise in a long time. Most of their best athletes are lifting for the fall and do not come out unless its their senior year. They will have their 3rd head coach in as many years so maybe he can convince some of those guys to come play but until I see different Graham will remain in the basement of the SWD

Guys to watch for POY- Brody Jones (VA high) Braehdon Merideth (VA high) Jack Pugh (Marion) Brady Roberts (Marion) Brody Taylor (Marion) Luke Childress (Tazewell) Ben Hale (Richlands)

This could all change because every team does have a new coach but should be a fun season to watch!

8 hours ago, Jags52 said:

SWD should come down to VA High and Marion again IMO

1A. VA High only had 2 seniors on that team last year that wasnt the best that Daniels had but still a well coached team overall and won the district. The health of Brody Jones will be a key factor in their season and they have to replace Issac Berry pitched 7 innings every other game and was a work horse for them. They need to find a good #2 behind Jones that is if he is fully healed and ready to play

1B. Marion also only graduated 2 seniors and one of which is playing for Emory now. They did however lose the Perkins kid to a prep school so between him and Thomas they lost a lot of innings on the mound. Coach Cannon is known for developing pitchers so if that trend continues they might be in the drivers seat. Offense shouldnt be a problem they return a lot of good bats from last season

3. Tazewell has a lot of key pieces coming back. I think they could challenge Marion and VA high if they can keep their heads on straight. Myers and Duty should be solid on the mound for them. They arnt quite at the level of Jones and Hale (Richlands) but they are pretty solid. Luke Childress has a great bat and should have a pretty good year for the bulldogs. Last season they seemed to let their emotions take over in big games and it cost them.

4. Richlands will have a lot a new faces where they got hit hard by graduation. They will have a fighting chance to win any game that Ben Hale pitches. He is only a junior and was a stud on the mound last year. They will have a chance to compete in game just off of Hale's arm but after that I do not think they have much. They did win the JV championship if that means anything to anyone last season

5. Graham hasnt had much to write home about baseball wise in a long time. Most of their best athletes are lifting for the fall and do not come out unless its their senior year. They will have their 3rd head coach in as many years so maybe he can convince some of those guys to come play but until I see different Graham will remain in the basement of the SWD

Guys to watch for POY- Brody Jones (VA high) Braehdon Merideth (VA high) Jack Pugh (Marion) Brady Roberts (Marion) Brody Taylor (Marion) Luke Childress (Tazewell) Ben Hale (Richlands)

This could all change because every team does have a new coach but should be a fun season to watch!

I don’t think jones is going to be fully healthy for the majority of the season. they will still compete well but it’s a shame they won’t get to play with their best 9 in their best health. I think tazewell is sort of a sleeper and could very well win the district. Richlands will probably win just about every single game that hale gets to pitch as long as they can score 4+ runs. Marion will be a tough out especially if they can find a decent arm.

1. Tazewell

2. Va high

3. Marion

4.Richlands

5. Graham

(and for anyone curious I’m pretty sure Lebanon plays Richlands Va High and Tazewell and they could very well unofficially win their future district.)