State Championship Score Updates

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

gw vs lan 

lan up 32-22 at half, silly turnovers killing gw

I would love to see the Maroons bring home the trophy, but I will write this.....I'm surprised, very surprised they were within 10 at halftime.  They played a monster for a 2023 Class 1 school.

2 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

GW 0-2 in state championships this year but have played two very good teams.

In both instances, the teams that beat GW would have competed well in the Class 2 state championship. Well, in basketball terms, every team that should be playing Class 2. 

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Carroll girls with a second straight state championship, 78-41. Alyssa Ervin finished with 29 points, 8 steals and 8 rebounds. 

I sincerely believe Carroll County is the best public high school basketball team in Virginia regardless of classification. 

They are definitely crème de la crème in girls basketball in Virginia. 

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Carroll girls with a second straight state championship, 78-41. Alyssa Ervin finished with 29 points, 8 steals and 8 rebounds. 

I sincerely believe Carroll County is the best public high school basketball team in Virginia regardless of classification. 

A friend of mine saw them last week or so and I've heard they are as good a girls team as any

George Wythe is likely the preseason favorite next year in Class 1, over Auburn who returns a bunch, over Lancaster who loses a lot, but has the best Class A player, and over Brunswick who drops to Class 1 next year. Honaker in 1D will be really good and so will Narrows in 1C. I think GW closes the deal next year and wins the whole thing.

29 minutes ago, sixcat said:

What are the odds on the sophomore from Lancaster being recruited to play at John Marshall next winter?

Maybe so....but it's up to the kid if he wants to be loyal or go to a powerhouse to win a tainted title...heck he just won one didn't he

Clark County beat Central.  I missed both girls games.  Had Eastside winning and had Central winning state titles.  Both lost close ones.   

Henderson (the super sophomore from Lancaster) will likely stay put.  His father is similar to Ty White at John Marshall/Team Loaded AAU.  Henderson's father is Dante Henderson who played college basketball at Christopher Newport and he is an assistant at Lancaster, but also has his own AAU team in Dream Chasers United.  His mentor was Boo Williams of Tidewater-Hampton Road AAU/Youth Basketball/Community Organizer fame, and Henderson is very close friends with Ty White from John Marshall.  Dante Henderson has connections and his son, the super sophomore Troy Henderson has and will get all the national attention he needs right there at Lancaster.  He plays against all the John Marshall kids on the AAU circuit and is more than noticed from a recruiting perspective.  

What you might see?  Keep your eyes on Lancaster over the next 5 years.  You might see a similar situation like at John Marshall.  Lancaster's kids were local this year and right now, but you could see a situation where Lancaster starts to pull in some of those kids that are not starters at John Marshall.  For example, instead of not being able to start on a top 10 national team, they still have a team of starters that is heads above the rest of Class 1 Virginia and becomes like a top 200 team which is more than good enough to win state titles.  They aren't there yet, but Dante Henderson has the connections and know-how to implement something similar to John Marshall, but he doesn't have the open enrollment advantage of Richmond, but Marshall is to the point where they don't need it now, as they are getting out of state kids now.

6 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

How is John Marshall such a little school? Richmond has a population of over 200k. Most class 2 programs are schools that come from little towns and communities. Just a random though. 

John Marshall, Armstrong and TJ are all in close proximity to each other.  They all have 2A enrollment numbers.  It is a less desirable part of the city and people have moved away from that part of the city.  There have been calls to consilidate as long as I can remember.

Richmond's education system/public schools are simply put.....not good.  If you are in the city limits of Richmond and you have enough money to send your kid to a private school, you do it.   I'm not talking about the super wealthy either.  I'm talking about middle class familes that have just enough money to barely send their kids to a private school or simply home school them, and even willing to go a little in debt in order to do it.  That's what may of them do, which is why the 5 public schools in Richmond are able to handle the large population size of Richmond.  We are actually seeing this trend across much of the country the past 10 years, and it's gone through the roof the past 5 years.

Years ago, it would be rare for the rural school like a  "Rocky Gap" having anywhere close to the academic opportunities/outcomes of math/science scores that many of the urban schools would have.  That's completely flipped on its head (for the most part-always exceptions) in the last 10 years.  Your kid is getting a much higher quality education at for example...Bland County, Bluefield, or in Ben Hur at Lee High School compared to a Hampton High or IC Norcom.  Again, always exceptions such as Maggie Walker.  If you are in Richmond and don't have the ability or simply don't choose the private option, you do what you can to get your kid into Maggie Walker as it relates to academics.

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Richmond's education system/public schools are simply put.....not good.  If you are in the city limits of Richmond and you have enough money to send your kid to a private school, you do it.   I'm not talking about the super wealthy either.  I'm talking about middle class familes that have just enough money to barely send their kids to a private school or simply home school them, and even willing to go a little in debt in order to do it.  That's what may of them do, which is why the 5 public schools in Richmond are able to handle the large population size of Richmond.  We are actually seeing this trend across much of the country the past 10 years, and it's gone through the roof the past 5 years.

Years ago, it would be rare for the rural school like a  "Rocky Gap" having anywhere close to the academic opportunities/outcomes of math/science scores that many of the urban schools would have.  That's completely flipped on its head (for the most part-always exceptions) in the last 10 years.  Your kid is getting a much higher quality education at for example...Bland County, Bluefield, or in Ben Hur at Lee High School compared to a Hampton High or IC Norcom.  Again, always exceptions such as Maggie Walker.  If you are in Richmond and don't have the ability or simply don't choose the private option, you do what you can to get your kid into Maggie Walker as it relates to academics.

Or you send your kids to one of the many schools in Henrico, Chesterfield or Hanover Counties.  The Metro Richmond area has a population of around 1,200,000.  Much larger then within the city of Richmond by Comparison (If you consider 220,000 much smaller)...

For those interested, we still have a couple of coverage area teams playing hoops:

In West Virginia:

1A:  James Monroe 74, Cameron 32

James Monroe advances to play Clay-Battelle in Friday's 1 pm semifinal

2A:  Bluefield 76, Wheeling Central Catholic 68

Beavers advance to play Chapmanville in Friday's 7:15 pm semifinal