Rick Cormany

stantheman

I’ve seen a lot of disparaging responses to Cormany’s interview circulating around from John Marshall alumni and supporters.  They repeatedly say that “Radford just needs to work harder and coach better”.  I know for a fact that the Radford players knew they would be facing JM if they got to state, and prepared for it the entire season, scheduling teams like E.C. Glass.  I’ve also seen plenty of accusations that criticism of the way JM runs their program is racially motivated and this area doesn’t want to see inner-city schools or black players succeed.   (For the record, Radford has seven black players and five white players on the varsity team this year.  That’s a Bobcat team with a majority of black players coming to Richmond to face JM two years in a row.)

At the end of the day, we see a stacked deck for what it is, even if the VHSL allows it.  Other Class 2 schools don’t have the advantages of recruited players from North Carolina and New York, Adidas sponsorships, the coach of an AAU program, or the funding to travel and play against a nationally ranked schedule.  Nor do any of those teams have a population the size of Richmond to draw players from.   I have no problem with Radford playing a John Marshall team composed of players local to or nearby to the Highland Park neighborhood the school is zoned to.  At this point, Radford (as well as Floyd, James River, and Virginia High) has a better chance of winning a Class 3 state championship competing with the likes of Hopewell, Skyline, Cave Spring and Northside, or even a Class 4 title than Class 2.  

25 minutes ago, WildwoodBobcat said:

I’ve seen a lot of disparaging responses to Cormany’s interview circulating around from John Marshall alumni and supporters.  They repeatedly say that “Radford just needs to work harder and coach better”.  I know for a fact that the Radford players knew they would be facing JM if they got to state, and prepared for it the entire season, scheduling teams like E.C. Glass.  I’ve also seen plenty of accusations that criticism of the way JM runs their program is racially motivated and this area doesn’t want to see inner-city schools or black players succeed.   (For the record, Radford has seven black players and five white players on the varsity team this year.  That’s a Bobcat team with a majority of black players coming to Richmond to face JM two years in a row.)

At the end of the day, we see a stacked deck for what it is, even if the VHSL allows it.  Other Class 2 schools don’t have the advantages of recruited players from North Carolina and New York, Adidas sponsorships, the coach of an AAU program, or the funding to travel and play against a nationally ranked schedule.  Nor do any of those teams have a population the size of Richmond to draw players from.   I have no problem with Radford playing a John Marshall team composed of players local to or nearby to the Highland Park neighborhood the school is zoned to.  At this point, Radford (as well as Floyd, James River, and Virginia High) has a better chance of winning a Class 3 state championship competing with the likes of Hopewell, Skyline, Cave Spring and Northside, or even a Class 4 title than Class 2.  

Everything these days seem to be racially motivated