3.Central

4.Gate City

5.Lee 

6.Union

7.Ridgeview

SWD

1.Tazewell

2.Marion

3.Va High (with the jones kid not playing I just don’t see them making it very far without a good arm)

4.Richlands

5.Graham

Cumberland

1.Eastside

2.JI Burton

3.Thomas Walker

4.Castlewood

5.Rye Cove

6. Twin Sorings

Hogoheegee

1.Lebanon

2. Rural Retreat

3.Chilhowie

4.Patrick Henry

5. Holston

6.Northwood

Black Diamond

1.Honaker

2.Grundy 

I haven’t heard if any of the other teams have filled a team so I’ll put them all at number 3

3 hours ago, Stelley said:

SWD

1.Tazewell

2.Richlands

3.Marion

4.Va High (with the jones kid not playing I just don’t see them making it very far without a good arm)

5.Graham

Good luck with this prediction. SWD will always go through VA High. Mark this post for the end of May!

13 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Good luck with this prediction. SWD will always go through VA High. Mark this post for the end of May!

I agree.  Baseball is a cumulative process and good programs don’t fall off  that much when they lose superior talent.  I have VHS no worse than 2nd.  I’ll also go back out on a limb and say Ridgeview will be much improved and could be around .500 this year….which would be huge for them.  If you thought Stanley was a bad football coach he was a worse baseball coach.  They’ve got a baseball guy for the first time.  It will take him some time but he can get that program to being respectable if they stick with him.

14 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

I wish I was wrong but all the other teams above them have a guy that can beat any team and va high just doesn’t have that big arm most teams have.

2 minutes ago, Stelley said:

I wish I was wrong but all the other teams above them have a guy that can beat any team and va high just doesn’t have that big arm most teams have.

Do you even know what VA High actually has?  Was Jones a shut down arm?  Did Va High pick up transfers or have returning or new arms that you haven’t seen yet?  I don’t know of a shut down arm in the SWD this season. 

9 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Do you even know what VA High actually has?  Was Jones a shut down arm?  Did Va High pick up transfers or have returning or new arms that you haven’t seen yet?  I don’t know of a shut down arm in the SWD this season. 

Considering the fact that he was in the upper 80s and could probably touch 90 I would say yes he was. Last year if they didn’t have jones or Berry on the mound they struggled. Richlands has the hale kid. Tazewell has the meyers and duty duo and Marion has the Pugh and roberts duo. And these are just prediction for anyone to give their opinions on so there’s no need to take them to heart. I will agree that va high has one of the top programs in the region but even so, everyone has down years

10 hours ago, Stelley said:

Considering the fact that he was in the upper 80s and could probably touch 90 I would say yes he was. Last year if they didn’t have jones or Berry on the mound they struggled. Richlands has the hale kid. Tazewell has the meyers and duty duo and Marion has the Pugh and roberts duo. And these are just prediction for anyone to give their opinions on so there’s no need to take them to heart. I will agree that va high has one of the top programs in the region but even so, everyone has down years

I am well aware of both Berry and Jones, and last years team. All the pitchers you mentioned pitched against VA High last year. Outside of the fluke loss at Richlands what was the outcome in those games?  I will grant you that each team has a couple of arms, but so does VA High. Jones not playing is a blow, but not as big as of blow as one might think. 

The district race was very close last year, but with VA Highs youngest and worst team in years still won the district without an injured player, and one that didn’t play due to personal reasons. Tazewell and Marion will have to prove it can beat VA High, which hasn’t happened in many years, and I was shocked as anyone that it didn’t happen last year. VA High doesn’t play Coppinger competition. They play Abingdon, Battle, Lebanon, Dobyns Bennett, and West Ridge. This prepares them a lot more!  

When I think of a shut down pitcher, I think of names like Buchanan, Gibson, Hankins, and Gobble!  The SWD hasn’t had that in a few years. The last group of shutdown pitchers in SWD was Matt Buchanan, Jordan Dixon, and Griffin. That level of baseball isn’t in the SWD right now. I would argue it will be another tight race in the district, but until someone can prove they can beat VA High consistently, it is still theirs to lose!

10 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Let's shake the board up a bit.  

Who is the better district in baseball?  Mountain 7 or SWD?

Probably M7 because probably the best 2a and 3a school in the whole state resides in that district. Central is always strong and gate City is always a tough out.

8 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Let's shake the board up a bit.  

Who is the better district in baseball?  Mountain 7 or SWD?

I definitely think it varies in certain years. Right now, MT7 has better top end teams with Battle and Abingdon with Central and GC being second tier. For this year, I think SWD has 3 teams but not top end like Battle and Abingdon, that will be competitive in any given game. So, I would say MT7 right now. 

10 hours ago, Stelley said:

What about in 1a? Is the hogo Cumberland or black diamond better?

The Cumberland returns a lot this year.  The Hogo probably still gets the edge with Lebanon and Chilhowie, but Burton, Eastside, Rye Cove, Castlewood and Thomas Walker all have 1-2 really good pitchers.  Twin Springs will be the biggest question mark.  They finished last last year and graduated the most. RC returns all but 2 starters off last years team.  Grabeel at TW was the top pitcher in the district and returns. Hart at Burton on the mound and Keys returns behind the plate who was player of the year in the district. Eastside will be Eastside and Castlewood always has a shot with Salyers on the mound and has a really impressive freshman hurler also.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

The Cumberland returns a lot this year.  The Hogo probably still gets the edge with Lebanon and Chilhowie, but Burton, Eastside, Rye Cove, Castlewood and Thomas Walker all have 1-2 really good pitchers.  Twin Springs will be the biggest question mark.  They finished last last year and graduated the most. RC returns all but 2 starters off last years team.  Grabeel at TW was the top pitcher in the district and returns. Hart at Burton on the mound and Keys returns behind the plate who was player of the year in the district. Eastside will be Eastside and Castlewood always has a shot with Salyers on the mound and has a really impressive freshman hurler also.

One thing that I don’t understand is how did the kid from tw get pitcher of the year and didn’t make it out of the district tournament?? And what was their record?

He’s legit but they were the 4 seed and I can’t remember if they didn’t start him or RC just tagged him and they had a bunch of errors behind him. I don’t think many thought RC would make the run they did as the CD 5 seed and make the regional tourney. 

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I did find the news write up about it and Jon Kern for RC threw a no hitter vs TW that day as well.

Wow. The same pitcher that gave up 11 runs and 6 extra base hits in 5 innings against Lebanon in the region tourney? TW needs to find a way to put runs on the board if they have the best pitcher in the district 

12 hours ago, Stelley said:

Wow. The same pitcher that gave up 11 runs and 6 extra base hits in 5 innings against Lebanon in the region tourney? TW needs to find a way to put runs on the board if they have the best pitcher in the district 

Same pitcher.  Some days you have better stuff than others.  Lebanon also wasn’t exactly a slouch at the plate. 

9 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Same pitcher.  Some days you have better stuff than others.  Lebanon also wasn’t exactly a slouch at the plate. 

Beauty of baseball I guess. 

Whelp.....looks like Ridgeview has a coach, folks.  They go down to Gate City tonight and beat the Blue Devils for the first time in Ridgeview program history, 10-8.  Their defense is still suspect and will be severely tested against John Battle later this week.  Good to see the Pack having a bit of life in them.