Changes In High School Basketball...........

BlueDevil4Life2008

What changes would everyone like to see in high school basketball?  As John Marshall has shown, the game is evolving.  Sometimes not for the better.  But since the VHSL seems to say that what John Marshall is doing is legal (in the latest Richmond Times Dispatch article), it looks as if the talent influx and legal relocation into the state of Virginia isn't going to stop anytime soon.   So what would you  like to see different in high school basketball?  I have some proposals:

1. Move the 3point line to 22 ft. 1 3/4 inches to match the men's and women's college game.  Put an emphasis on coaches to coach players and develop them to take the mid range shots. If player's aren't able to shoot the 3 from this distance, it will definitely show up and force coaching to develop the mid range game.  Also when games are played on college courts there will not be as much of a difference in the three point lines. 

2. Do away with quarters and institute two halves of play.  Many teams now play supers and as we know the games sometime take forever. Eliminate some of the breaks.  Play two 16 minutes halves so that the flow of the game doesn't go uninterrupted.  Give each coach 2 full time outs and 2 30 second timeouts each half.  To use how they like.  If they don't use them, they lose them.   They then get two more full timeouts and two more 30 sec timeouts in the second half. 

3. I am 50 percent on the shot clock.   I feel that not all schools are equipped to handle the shot clock.  I believe once all of the small Southwest Virginia schools become consolidated as well as rural schools throughout the state and the gyms/arenas are able to handle the new technology then I believe that the state of Virginia should go to a shot clock.  Make the game quicker and put some responsibility in the hands of the players. 

Does anyone know if the new shot clock would eliminate the 10 second count for crossing half court and/or the 5 second rule for individuals since you are already forcing the play of the game?

I would like to see the old jump ball rule reinstated.  Actually jump at the free throw lines when called.  Officials have abused the jump ball rule because it’s easier to call that to call the foul.  It’s basically an escape call and happens too often.  Officials would be hesitant to make that call if they knew it would result in actually jumping.   It feels like some games have 20+ jump ball calls.

I do like the suggestion for 2 halves.  Not sure the 3 point line moving is gonna change anything.  The Steph Curry age is here and kids are gonna keep jacking up 3’s no matter what.

Since the VHSL is OK with Richmond having a wider area to pull players from, I say they should just have open enrollment for all schools.  Allow players to play at any school as long as they begin the school year there.  I am sure Scotty Boyd would have loved the opportunity to pull all of his SWVA Heat players together for Single A Honaker.  Mcclung, Ervin, James Mitchell, etc.  Would have been laughable then as well. What they are allowing at John Marshall is a disgrace.  Not only does it screw over all other 2A teams, look at the actual kids at that school who get cut to allow this to happen.  At least Oak Hill has a B team for the school kids to try out for.

18 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

What changes would everyone like to see in high school basketball?  As John Marshall has shown, the game is evolving.  Sometimes not for the better.  But since the VHSL seems to say that what John Marshall is doing is legal (in the latest Richmond Times Dispatch article), it looks as if the talent influx and legal relocation into the state of Virginia isn't going to stop anytime soon.   So what would you  like to see different in high school basketball?  I have some proposals:

1. Move the 3point line to 22 ft. 1 3/4 inches to match the men's and women's college game.  Put an emphasis on coaches to coach players and develop them to take the mid range shots. If player's aren't able to shoot the 3 from this distance, it will definitely show up and force coaching to develop the mid range game.  Also when games are played on college courts there will not be as much of a difference in the three point lines. 

2. Do away with quarters and institute two halves of play.  Many teams now play supers and as we know the games sometime take forever. Eliminate some of the breaks.  Play two 16 minutes halves so that the flow of the game doesn't go uninterrupted.  Give each coach 2 full time outs and 2 30 second timeouts each half.  To use how they like.  If they don't use them, they lose them.   They then get two more full timeouts and two more 30 sec timeouts in the second half. 

3. I am 50 percent on the shot clock.   I feel that not all schools are equipped to handle the shot clock.  I believe once all of the small Southwest Virginia schools become consolidated as well as rural schools throughout the state and the gyms/arenas are able to handle the new technology then I believe that the state of Virginia should go to a shot clock.  Make the game quicker and put some responsibility in the hands of the players. 

At first I thought I was for a shot clock being introduced, then I realized putting another burden on the SWVA officials is the LAST thing we need to do lol. They struggle as it is. 

If anything is added, I suggest the restrictor circle being added. This would help the refs make a correct call and would keep players from getting hurt under the basket. 

The largest problem I see in to days game is what James harden brought on by drawing fouls constantly. Basically we have a whole offensive mentality built around getting layup, setting illegal moving screens after a paint touch, shooting 3s, and getting to the foul line.

Every state needs to adopt a 35 second shot clock for high school basketball.

I think it's a no brainer. Prevents teams from stalling the game at the 6 minute mark. Speeds up the game. Way more exciting games. Allows coaches to actually coach in those close games too.

I read about a game  sometime this past season and the final score was like 12-4 because one team just played four corners. How does that benefit anyone in high school sports?

One idea I think is worth considering is adding a third-place game to the tournament, statewide.  This wouldn’t entirely fix the John Marshall issue, but it gives teams who have to deal with a powerhouse on their side of the state a chance to go to Richmond.  Stagger state brackets one week apart so VCU hosts Classes 1, 2, and 3 Thursday-Saturday one week and 4, 5, and 6 the next week.  The four teams that advance to the state semifinals get in.  The two losing teams in the semifinals play each other for third place, followed by the winning teams playing for first place.  Each class gets their own day - this would require a little more travel, but bring in double the fans.  1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams get a trophy.  

For example, an all-day Class 4 state tournament would have looked like:

(Girls followed by Boys) Tuscarora vs King’s Fork doubleheader for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Pulaski County vs Hampton for 1st/2nd

(Boys) E.C. Glass vs Varina for 1st/2nd

Class 3:

(Girls) Meridian vs LCA for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Skyline vs Cave Spring for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Brentsville District vs Carroll County for 1st/2nd

(Boys) Hopewell vs Northside for 1st/2nd

Class 2:

(Girls) Gate City vs John Marshall for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Floyd County vs Brunswick for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Clarke County vs Central for 1st/2nd

(Boys) Radford vs John Marshall for 1st/2nd

Class 1:

(Girls) Buffalo Gap vs Burton for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Auburn vs Altavista for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Rappahannock County vs Eastside for 1st/2nd

(Boys) George Wythe vs Lancaster for 1st/2nd

2 hours ago, WildwoodBobcat said:

One idea I think is worth considering is adding a third-place game to the tournament, statewide.  This wouldn’t entirely fix the John Marshall issue, but it gives teams who have to deal with a powerhouse on their side of the state a chance to go to Richmond.  Stagger state brackets one week apart so VCU hosts Classes 1, 2, and 3 Thursday-Saturday one week and 4, 5, and 6 the next week.  The four teams that advance to the state semifinals get in.  The two losing teams in the semifinals play each other for third place, followed by the winning teams playing for first place.  Each class gets their own day - this would require a little more travel, but bring in double the fans.  1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams get a trophy.  

For example, an all-day Class 4 state tournament would have looked like:

(Girls followed by Boys) Tuscarora vs King’s Fork doubleheader for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Pulaski County vs Hampton for 1st/2nd

(Boys) E.C. Glass vs Varina for 1st/2nd

Class 3:

(Girls) Meridian vs LCA for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Skyline vs Cave Spring for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Brentsville District vs Carroll County for 1st/2nd

(Boys) Hopewell vs Northside for 1st/2nd

Class 2:

(Girls) Gate City vs John Marshall for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Floyd County vs Brunswick for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Clarke County vs Central for 1st/2nd

(Boys) Radford vs John Marshall for 1st/2nd

Class 1:

(Girls) Buffalo Gap vs Burton for 3rd/4th

(Boys) Auburn vs Altavista for 3rd/4th

(Girls) Rappahannock County vs Eastside for 1st/2nd

(Boys) George Wythe vs Lancaster for 1st/2nd

IMO, it’s not so much about going to Richmond as it is about getting bumped by a team built to dominate because of a loophole in their school district rules.  Playing for 3rd place is participation trophy thinking and only gives the VHSL more money(that’s all they really care about anyway).

As for the shot clock, I would be hesitant on 35 seconds.  Maybe 45/60 sec.  A quick clock will force many bad shots and hurt the overall game.  I am not a fan of stall basketball either, but I also hate to see players throwing up horrible shots because the clock is running out.

An easy rule change would be if a team is intensdng to play in the National Tournament, they should be allowed to opt out of their district regular season schedule and district   tourney to play in higher profile tourneys and the national championship tourney.  But not both state and national.  Easy fix.

The transfer part of the JM issue isn't an easy fix, outside of changing the rule.  Add to that an open enrollment school division, and it becomes close to impossible.  Could make it an automatic 365 days for anyone that moves in or transfers.  That could deter the transfers if they know they are sitting for 365 upon arrival, but it also turns into a double edged sword with a military family for example. 

The more exceptions you add, the more ways around the rule.  Some schools look the other way on a lot of things regarding VHSL rules but at the end of the day, the VHSL has to take the school system at their word.  They don't have the staff to do it any other way.  Less than twenty people on staff to monitor over 300 schools, 17 sports (not counting boys/girls teams or JV/ freshmen levels) and 9 academic activities.