Auburn job open

60minuteMan

If true, that's a lot of interest in a program that hasn't finished a season in 2 years and very little activity at the younger levels.  With so many people applying at Auburn, maybe Bland needs to post their job again; if they can get half those applicants I would think that'd be worth it. 

1 hour ago, 44cov3 said:

If true, that's a lot of interest in a program that hasn't finished a season in 2 years and very little activity at the younger levels.  With so many people applying at Auburn, maybe Bland needs to post their job again; if they can get half those applicants I would think that'd be worth it. 

There are some programs though that have the potential that other don't.  It's kind of like how a USC in football was 1 coach from being top 5 or top 10 again, after being pretty darn bad since Pete Carroll left.  The potential never left the program.  Georgia similar.  Good and competitive but not elite, but one coach away and the switch flipped over night.  Auburn High certainly isn't Georgia or USC, but COMPARED to their peers such as a Bland and not a few, but Most other Class 1 schools, that potential is there.  Incomes over there are a bit higher, so higher tax base, nice facilities, good size for a Class 1 school, and the athletes are obvious.  They pretty much dominate in about every sport over the years minus football.  Bland, Narrows, even Giles certainly doesn't dominate in other sports like Auburn does, the tax bases aren't as higher either.  With the right coach, they could be a problem IF he can get the buy in from the fanbase.

One thing working against Auburn in my opinion.  Because of a higher tax base and probably more educated parents than many other Class 1 schools, they may be a bit more center or center left/more progressive being close to VT and Radford Uregarding the health/head injury/CTE thing.  I don't know how far or imbedded that is in their fanbase, parents, administrators, but if that's the case, and I suspect it is certainly there to some degree, then turning around might not be possible, even with the right coach.  Time will tell.

7 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Been quiet on this hire as of late.......

As far as i can tell, they only interviewed one day. 6 interviews held last tuesday. That's pretty poor if 19 applied. From what I'm hearing, they had their guy all along, and just went through whatever procedure needed to be followed. If I were in charge of the procedure, given the state of the football program, I'd of interviewed all 19, to see who had what to bring to the advancement of the program. 

15 hours ago, 60minuteMan said:

As far as i can tell, they only interviewed one day. 6 interviews held last tuesday. That's pretty poor if 19 applied. From what I'm hearing, they had their guy all along, and just went through whatever procedure needed to be followed. If I were in charge of the procedure, given the state of the football program, I'd of interviewed all 19, to see who had what to bring to the advancement of the program. 

Sounds a lot like the Chilhowie job. They know who was getting that job well before Robinson stepped down. They just interviewed to act like there was no nepotism involved

Difference is Chilhowie had a young man that was heir apparent. I do think it was wrong if I heard correctly about bringing couple people in without a teaching job and wasting their time. money and effort. Especially that the experience level and success.

What does Auburn's guy bring to the table? I wonder if they just interviewed local coaches not to repeat what CHilhowie did?

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

Difference is Chilhowie had a young man that was heir apparent. I do think it was wrong if I heard correctly about bringing couple people in without a teaching job and wasting their time. money and effort. Especially that the experience level and success.

What does Auburn's guy bring to the table? I wonder if they just interviewed local coaches not to repeat what CHilhowie did?

I agree 100% I heard Chilhowie interviewed 10 people which is a massive waste of time if they didnt have a teaching job or if they just going to give it to a candidate based on his last name. Time will tell if the good ole boy system pays off or if they set their program back 5 years. 

With that being said I do not know what Auburns situation is but if I were looking for a head coach I will looking for either someone who loves Auburn and is going to bust their tail to get that program back on its feet OR a coach that has a proven track record of starting/building a program from the ground up

7 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Did they hire?

from what I hear, school board meeting tomorrow. Should be announced then, I suppose. I'm hearing they promoted from within. When things are going great, why rock the boat???????

Why would you hire someone from outside the district that you may have to "create" a job for and they may not even be able to field a team?  Then that person has to turn around and look for a new job and move again.  If you hire from within, maybe you can find a good fit and they are already a part of the school/community.  Just a thought.

19 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

Why would you hire someone from outside the district that you may have to "create" a job for and they may not even be able to field a team?  Then that person has to turn around and look for a new job and move again.  If you hire from within, maybe you can find a good fit and they are already a part of the school/community.  Just a thought.

I agree! Every situation is unique and the situation in Riner may be as unique as this part of the state has ever seen. It doesn't make sense to go outside the community for a football coach when you haven't fielded a team capable of completing a full season since before Covid.