battle vs abingdon

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Which team looked better?  If Abingdon had 5 errors in one inning that seems like an anomaly that pushed the game Battle’s way.

Battle jumped out early with Hankins HR and kept a small lead (3-2 I think)until Abingdon had their error inning.  I thing it was 6-2 when Abingdon finally got out of that inning.  Abingdon bats got hot in the 6th and tied it up 6-6 after Humphreys HR.  Coach Gobble brought Hankins in for a short time but pulled him for pitch count.  Turned out to be costly decision.  Greear had a walk off single for the win.  

IMO, Abingdon’s youth shows.  Freshmen and sophomores on the left side when Humphreys is on the mound.  In big games, Battle will go as far as Porter Gobble and Hankins can take them.  Both teams will do well until they get a cluster of games and have to go deep on the mound.

1 hour ago, ShaneFalco113 said:

Don’t undervalue Battle’s experience and talent all over the field and  3-4 deep in bullpen.  Even though they have 2 solid  P starters….they have tenured  experience at every position on the field.   

Hankins and gobble are definitely the best 2 pitchers.  Against Abingdon and Lebanon, they have to be on the mound.  Against anyone else in this area you can go deeper.

• 3 weeks later...

10 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

well i guess battle isn't better than abingdon!!   I am sure that statment gobble made was a motivating factor!!!

Pretty sure Hankins didn’t play 

6 hours ago, ShaneFalco113 said:

Battle and Abingdon will match up again in the MT 7 tournament finals if the stars align - then Abingdon will face the Hankins kid …..that will tell the true story 

the district tourneys always favors the team that can save their pitching to the championship game!!

On 5/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, stan.the.man said:

well i guess battle isn't better than abingdon!!   I am sure that statment gobble made was a motivating factor!!!

Hankins got sick Saturday morning and couldn't pitch, so Battle used a JV pitcher. 

8 hours ago, EH31 said:

Biggest game of the year for Battle will be played next month in Salem

I wouldn't bet on it!!!   and this past saturdays games pitching would have nothing to do with that game!!!!

14 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

why would you use a JV pitcher in the biggest game of the year!!!

That's all he had. Gobble pitched against VHS and their other pitcher pitched against Gate City that same week.

42 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's all he had. Gobble pitched against VHS and their other pitcher pitched against Gate City that same week.

so why would you pitch your best pitchers against Va High who has nothing to do with your district and GC which hasn't won very many games this year!!!  I understand that Hankins being out was sudden but thats not good coaching as far as winning district championships!!! 

19 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

so why would you pitch your best pitchers against Va High who has nothing to do with your district and GC which hasn't won very many games this year!!!  I understand that Hankins being out was sudden but thats not good coaching as far as winning district championships!!! 

So what would you have done? You had a major cross-town rivalry and then the big M7 game just days apart. Literally, every coach would start your two aces in those two games that mattered... and that was the plan. And then when an illness happens, you just have to roll with what you have. And in a week where you play 3 games in 5 days, he was out of varsity arms. 

How would you have played it?

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

So what would you have done? You had a major cross-town rivalry and then the big M7 game just days apart. Literally, every coach would start your two aces in those two games that mattered... and that was the plan. And then when an illness happens, you just have to roll with what you have. And in a week where you play 3 games in 5 days, he was out of varsity arms. 

How would you have played it?

this time of season you save your best pitching for district play,  that virginia high game meant nothing!!!  the illness you could do nothing about that,  it happens and Forrest said!!!  Against GC you could have played the pitch count based on how that game played out but you def wanted 2 of your better pitchers for the saturday game with abingdon available unless the GC game didn't go as planned!!!

1 hour ago, ShaneFalco113 said:

Here’s a thought ….battle and Abingdon in the Mt7 championship for all the marbles …70 plus Mt7 win streak on the line ….pressure maybe ? 

well Mark Francisco has a habit of losing big games so its a def possibility!!!!