Coaching Change at Gate City

BigBlueAlumni

I have no idea if the former GC coach (recently out) was solid or average or not solid.  I don't claim to know.  I do know this though.  Gate City has had its worst 2 years of basketball Statistically in the 21st century.  You have to go back to the 20th century to find any season that is Statistically worse than Gate City in 2021-22 and Gate City in 2022-23.  With that written, you got to look at the other side.  They lost Scotty V who was an elite HS coach and elite HS coaches are hard to replace and after an elite leaves a program in pretty much any sport, the program historically takes a hit.   There are exceptions to this rule, but by in large, it holds true across the country in nearly every HS sport when an elite coach who has been there for a long time leaves.  Added to that, after Dean left, one may argue the great run of talent, which predates Mac, Zack, and Dean is not what it once was.  GC's talent goes back to the mid 90's.  It's hard to say which one it is regarding why GC has had 2 statistically ugly seasons by their standards, but there is no doubt about one thing, statistically, the worst 2 seasons of the 21st century for GC, and equally important, a very tough position for a new coach to come into as they had basically lost Mac, Zack, and Dean by this time.  I can't recall if the recent new coach had Dean for a 1 year or not, but regardless, they had lost some incredible talent.  

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Scotty V coached for one more year after Dean graduated if I remember correctly.  I know he did not play for Barnes.  

Very difficult for sure.  So, he's taking over after GC had lost not one, not two, but now....3 Div 1 players with Dean now going to Miami.  No offense to UVA-Wise which is a fine institution, but I knew Dean could play at a higher level.  That's not an easy task for Barnes to come into.

I have been hearing a ton of rumors going crazy in the rumor mill.  
I guess it would not be Gate City if that wasn’t going on though.  
Anyone have any clear idea who it will be?  
Anyone have any idea who they would like for it to be?

I would think the pool is wide open for quite a few people. 
If you have a top 5 of people you think should get it put  it down.  It would make for interesting reads to see who gets closest to the real thing.  

Here are my top 5:

1. Keith Warner 

2. Tyler Webb

3. Jamie Hackney

4. Hunter Jones 

5. Austen Arnold

1. Why it may not be #1?  Although a Vermillion product,  #1 has built a solid football program which is doing very well.  Would not see him leaving at this point. 

2. Why it may not be #2?  While #2 is also a Vermillion product he has built the Titan basketball program into a state contender every year with considerable less students than Gate City.  He is also a Titan graduate and is fiercely loyal to the red and white. Which through hearing people talk of this choice rules him out. 

3. Why it may not be #3?  Although a Vermillion product and former member of the GC staff he has now become the boss of the Lee High program and lives in Lee County  the Generals are a program on the rise just missing a few players to make them a state contender. 

4. Why it may not be #4?  Also a Vermillion product and hailed by Vermillion as the next greatest head coach in Scott County this person was a former JV head coach at Rye Cove who led them to a championship year before coming to GC.  He was also the lead assistant this year under Barnes.  
Bringing in another “young” guy after two sub 500 seasons seems might seem unlikely though but he does have about four aces up his sleeve no one else in the group has.  

5. While it may not be #5?  
Also a Vermillion product the guy was an All American 4 year player at Lynchburg College. He is currently the head baseball coach at the school.  A position he filled to take that program in a different direction as well.  One year and done seems unlikely. He also has an ace up the sleeve as well but not as many as Jones. 

Should be a very interesting summer to say the least   

Lots of people with kids who have some major pull and importance coming up that have a great need to be appeased first before anyone.  Should be an interesting pick  

Fugate as in the JV Coach?  Who knows.  I think anything is possible. 

Shannon Boy I think is working at Twin Springs with Tyler Webb and is with most probability an unlikely candidate. 

Both previous guys are also lifetime assistants and unproven as head coaches. Would probably want someone with at least some credibility coming in with the players.  

I have also heard the same thing about Jones at Rye Cove. Was very well liked out there. He may just be the front runner after looking at this discussion now. 

I think for the most part it is wide open. Hard to say who they will bring in now. 

2 hours ago, Observer said:

This is waaaaaaay out of left field, but isn't Zac Ervin graduating this year?  Is there a chance he comes back home?

Ervin still has a Covid year of eligibility remaining at Elon. He also missed his entire sophamore season due to injury so, he likely has a medical redshirt season remaining as well.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:05 PM, Great City said:

Guessing Fugate.

Played at GC many years ago. Been around the program for years. Kids like him. 

This would be my guess

Wade on top of it again.  
IMO I never thought they would choose him with so many former players currently coaching. 
After talking to some other former Devils the other day I understand now why they knew he was going to be chosen over the other people out there. 
I am pretty sure because the kids like him is not the only reason why he was chosen. Probably because certain parents with kids coming up like him as well and will likely help some of their business associations with the schoolin the process. 
Who knows he might get a nice NIL deal out of it as well since the VHSL passed the legislation. 
Not being employed by the county and if I am correct leading the Boosters Club were just a couple of the reasons why I thought he would not be chosen. It just might be a couple reasons why he was chosen among a few others. 
Wade knows his business.  Now the question is what will the staff look like?  
Wade you up first?  

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

Chris Fugate has been named Head Coach at Gate City, he has 26 years as an assistant in the program.

Good for him.  I hope he tears it up and brings the Devils back to VHSL Playoff Deep Run Basketball.  26 years is a lot of time put in service to one school and one program.  There's no question he's put the work in.  If more than a quarter of a century isn't enough, then I don't know how much work somebody has to put in.