Soccer 2022-2023 season

-oo-

Any kind of news for our area? Who are the favorites as we're just a week from district play?

I know Graham girls are undefeated for the year. Anybody had a chance to see them play?

I think Virginia High is leading the boys side with a few stud players from what I've heard.

Anything else?

Galax is 14-0 having given up only 6 goals all season. They beat Graham Friday night 5-1. They play Giles tonight and Carroll Wednesday to wrap up the regular season. Strong possibility of a 7th state championship since 2014.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, -oo- said:

Any kind of news for our area? Who are the favorites as we're just a week from district play?

I know Graham girls are undefeated for the year. Anybody had a chance to see them play?

I think Virginia High is leading the boys side with a few stud players from what I've heard.

Anything else?

Graham girls are very good and have one player that really sticks out. Richlands, Tazewell & Virginia High girls are all pretty good teams too and on a normal year they could all compete for the region D championship but Graham has beaten them all handily this season, with the exception of one game against Richlands that they won 3-1 . 

32 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Graham girls are very good and have one player that really sticks out. Richlands, Tazewell & Virginia High girls are all pretty good teams too and on a normal year they could all compete for the region D championship but Graham has beaten them all handily this season, with the exception of one game against Richlands that they won 3-1 . 

On the boys side, Graham and Lebanon are probably the two best teams with Honaker a tic behind. Lebanon split with Graham and swept Honaker although both games were very close.  Not sure anyone has anything for Galax or Radford, but I would be surprised if anyone other than these three teams won their respective Region Titles. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Not sure anyone has anything for Radford

Glenvar is 12-1-1 on the season having outscored their opponents 82-10. Their only loss was 2-1 to Salem. In the regular season against Radford, Glenvar won the first match 3-0 and tied the second match 4-4 after PK's. Glenvar and Salem play tonight. 

IMO, Glenvar is the strongest team in 2C. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Anyone know who the 3/4 seeds are for the SWD? They're listed as TBD on the brackets the VHSL has. 

Girls or boys?  Girls I think VA High is the 3 Tazewell is the 4.  Boys I think Tazewell is the 4 but not sure about the 3

Some playoff matchups for Region 2C boys soccer via the district calendars: 

Alleghany @ Nelson County 5/24 

James River @ Appomattox 5/26

Patrick County @ Martinsville 5/30

Dan River @ Chatham 5/30

Alleghany/Nelson winner @ Radford 5/30

James River/Appomattox winner @ Glenvar 5/30

Floyd County and Gretna did not field varsity teams this year, leaving a bracket of ten teams

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Anyone know who the 3/4 seeds are for the SWD? They're listed as TBD on the brackets the VHSL has. 

SWD Boys is 

1. VA High 

2. Graham

3. Marion

4. Tazewell 

VA High finishes 16-0-1 on the season and wins the SWD tournament championship against Graham last night. 

haven’t seen the pairings yet for the region D tourney 

Does region C have anything for the Bearcats? They’re going to be a tough out with 8+ seniors and the Poku brothers leading the team.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:23 PM, EH31 said:

SWD Boys is 

1. VA High 

2. Graham

3. Marion

4. Tazewell 

VA High finishes 16-0-1 on the season and wins the SWD tournament championship against Graham last night. 

haven’t seen the pairings yet for the region D tourney 

Does region C have anything for the Bearcats? They’re going to be a tough out with 8+ seniors and the Poku brothers leading the team.

No unbeaten teams, but the best record in 2C belongs to Glenvar at 14-1-1, scoring 87 goals and allowing 12.  Radford is also a potential contender at 11-2-1, scoring 67 goals and allowing 13.  Glenvar beat Radford once and tied 4-4 the other game.

Nelson County has a good record but has played a weaker schedule than Radford and Glenvar.

11 hours ago, EH31 said:

Glenvar and Radford are both capable. Both have played tough schedules, are exceptionally well coached and have loads of talent. Blacksburg not withstanding, Glenvar may be the best team in C/D regardless of classification. Magna Vista is 19-0 but have played a really weak schedule. They can't be overlooked but until they play someone of consequence, the jury is still out on just how good they are. 

I know it's Maxpreps but they are usually pretty good at separating the contenders from the pretenders with soccer rankings. Maxpreps state rankings...... https://www.maxpreps.com/va/soccer/spring/rankings/1/

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Glenvar and Radford are both capable. Both have played tough schedules, are exceptionally well coached and have loads of talent. Blacksburg not withstanding, Glenvar may be the best team in C/D regardless of classification. Magna Vista is 19-0 but have played a really weak schedule. They can't be overlooked but until they play someone of consequence, the jury is still out on just how good they are. 

I know it's Maxpreps but they are usually pretty good at separating the contenders from the pretenders with soccer rankings. Maxpreps state rankings...... https://www.maxpreps.com/va/soccer/spring/rankings/1/

I have noticed that Maxpreps does a lot better with their soccer coverage. The VHSL is using them for their brackets too. 

Region 2D Bracket

1. VA High                2. Union

4. Ridgeview            3. Marion

1. Central                2. Graham

4. Tazewell              4. Gate City

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Virginia High vs. Graham in the 2D championship game. That would be interesting considering the game between the two on Monday apparently got pretty heated in the stands. 

On 5/24/2023 at 8:23 AM, sixcat said:

Magna Vista is 3A and they really haven't played any top level teams.

21 minutes ago, pdfan said:

Magna Vista is 3A and they really haven't played any top level teams.

I know. I was just pointing them out because of my statement that Glenvar might be the best team in Region C or D outside Blacksburg regardless of division. 

Nelson County 4

Alleghany 0

Nelson County advances to play Radford in the region quarterfinals

Eastern Montgomery 3

Fort Chiswell 0

Giles 10

Covington 0

The Mustangs will play the Spartans in the region semifinals.  Of note, this marks the last time Alleghany and Covington play separately.  Next year they become the Alleghany Highlands Cougars and compete at Class 3, staying in the Three Rivers District. 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Can East Mont play with Galax?

I could be wrong but I don’t think so. The Pioneer is exceptionally weak. The MED has 3 teams other than Galax that could legitimately contend in the state tournament and they couldn’t hang with Galax.

Galax has a new head coach that is a legacy and former NCAA All-American. This is the best team they’ve had in a few years, which is saying a lot.