Soccer 2022-2023 season

-oo-

9 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Anyone else think six classifications in a sport like soccer is way too much? They could probably do four. Classes 1 and 2 could easily be combined for soccer. 

One could say the same about EVERY sport when it comes to class 1 and 2. 

Until the VHSL fixes the classification system at the district level (i.e. having all district members be part of the same classification -- which worked extremely well from 1970 to 1986), the playoff system is going to be suspect at best.

Liberty-Bedford might be the poster child for this in soccer next year.  The Minutemen will be in Division 2 but forced to play in the Seminole District (comprised of Division 3 and Division 4 teams).  This year they only won 3 games.  But given the point system and differential, that might be enough to get them into regional play next year.  And within the specific region, they might actually be competitive in the postseason.

Madness.

I don't think it's too much. There are plenty of teams in Classes 1 & 2, so combining them would mean you'd have some teams that lost 1 or 2 games all season missing the playoffs. 

I've said this before on here. Maybe it's having spent most of my life along the North Carolina border? I think 4 classifications are plenty for Virginia, similar to what NC does. I also think one of those should be limited to the smallest schools in the state regardless of the number of schools that places in Class 1. Then divide the remaining schools evenly in the three remaining classifications. 

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax 1
Giles 0

Galax wins 1C for the 13th(?) consecutive year. IIRC, Radford was the last 1C champion in 2010.

Wow, that’s a soccer dynasty! Have they had the same coach all these years? 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Wow, that’s a soccer dynasty! Have they had the same coach all these years? 

Nope. Troy Barkley coached from sometime around 2007 until 2021. James Kohl coached for a season last year. Dominic DeGiacomo is the new coach. He was VHSL player of the year back in 2015 for Barkley. He was an All-American at Johnson & Wales. 

Dom’s dad played soccer at VT back in the 80’s. 

Barkley is coaching at his alma mater Pulaski now, where he is 5-27-1 in two seasons. He was 0-15 this season. Pulaski doesn’t put the same community effort into soccer Galax does. It’ll be tough for him to win there. 

Galax has won state championships in 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, and 22. 

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Nope. Troy Barkley coached from sometime around 2007 until 2021. James Kohl coached for a season last year. Dominic DeGiacomo is the new coach. He was VHSL player of the year back in 2015 for Barkley. He was an All-American at Johnson & Wales. 

Dom’s dad played soccer at VT back in the 80’s. 

Barkley is coaching at his alma mater Pulaski now, where he is 5-27-1 in two seasons. He was 0-15 this season. Pulaski doesn’t put the same community effort into soccer Galax does. It’ll be tough for him to win there. 

Galax has won state championships in 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, and 22. 

I don't know much about Pulaski sports. Do they put much community effort behind any sports? Seems like they have a lot of drama.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I don't know much about Pulaski sports. Do they put much community effort behind any sports? Seems like they have a lot of drama.

Football and girls’ basketball are the major sports at Pulaski County.  The Cougars’ home football games at Joel Hicks Field have a lot of tradition behind them and always get large crowds and community support, while the girls’ basketball team has been consistently good for several years along with Carroll County.  

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Football and girls basketball. Softball is hit or miss. Not much else. You’re right about the drama though. It permeates the county. 

On any given day, you can drive around Galax and find no fewer than 3 pick-up soccer games going on at various parks and fields around town. Participants range from 6 to 60. 

Soccer and golf are huge in Galax and have been the whole time I’ve lived here (2007). I legitimately believe Galax High School could field 3 varsity soccer teams if they really wanted to. 

12 hours ago, WildwoodBobcat said:

Glenvar 3 Radford 1

Glenvar wins the Region 2C title, setting up state matchups of Radford vs 2D champion Virginia High, and Glenvar vs 2D runner-up Graham

One of Graham’s best players received a red card against Virginia High in their last game. 

21 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I think the superintendent is moving on to Franklin County. Heard there was a little drama between him & school board. That could be totally false but came from someone who works in Pulaski Co. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Class 1 Quarterfinals

Galax 4
Honaker 0

Final

Giles 1
Lebanon 0

Halftime

Class 1 Quarterfinals

Boys:

Final Scores

Galax 4
Honaker 0

Giles 1
Lebanon 1 Through OT

Giles wins 3-0 in penalty kicks

Girls:

Honaker 0

Auburn 0 Through OT

Auburn wins 2-0 in penalty kicks

East Montgomery

Lebanon 

East Mont wins by forfeit (Lebanon did not have enough players.  

11 hours ago, EH31 said:

Class 1 Quarterfinals

Boys:

Final Scores

Galax 4
Honaker 0

Giles 1
Lebanon 1 Through OT

Giles wins 3-0 in penalty kicks

I've said all year, the MED may have the best 4 teams in all of Class 1. If not the best 4, definitely 4 of the top 6.

George Wythe, and Auburn could easily be where Galax and Giles are right now.