7 on 7s

Gridiron60

Have most teams scheduled their 7 on 7s? What's the average number most schools do? I heard Graham was going to Honaker a couple times, maybe Eastside, E &H, Tech not sure of any others they might have scheduled. It will be good to have football back in full swing in a few weeks! 

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen Eastside is having a huge 16 team Spartan Bash tomorrow starting at 11. Definitely going to be some good competition to watch. Teams coming are
Heritage Lynchburg
Graham A & B
Eastside
Lee
Union
Chilhowie
Richlands
Tw
Battle
Va high
Ridgeview
Central
Honaker
Lebanon
Hurley

13 hours ago, Tigerking21 said:

Just seen Eastside is having a huge 16 team Spartan Bash tomorrow starting at 11. Definitely going to be some good competition to watch. Teams coming are
Heritage Lynchburg
Graham A & B
Eastside
Lee
Union
Chilhowie
Richlands
Tw
Battle
Va high
Ridgeview
Central
Honaker
Lebanon
Hurley

What does that say about Graham's program?  A small Class 2 school with Teams "A" and "B" competing in 7 on 7's?  Common sense tells me, there's probably a whole lot of interest and a good chance there is a lot of talent in the program, which is stating the obvious.

15 hours ago, Tigerking21 said:

Heritage Lynchburg
Graham A & B
Eastside
Lee
Union
Chilhowie
Richlands
Tw
Battle
Va high
Ridgeview
Central
Honaker
Lebanon
Hurley

Is anyone at this to give us an idea of how it is going?

19 hours ago, Tigerking21 said:

Heritage Lynchburg
Graham A & B
Eastside
Lee
Union
Chilhowie
Richlands
Tw
Battle
Va high
Ridgeview
Central
Honaker
Lebanon
Hurley

I knew Graham was going to a 7 on 7 at Eastside. That’s a pretty impressive list! I’d be interested to see how Graham stacks up against Heritage. That’s quite a haul for them coming from Lynchburg. 

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

What does that say about Graham's program?  A small Class 2 school with Teams "A" and "B" competing in 7 on 7's?  Common sense tells me, there's probably a whole lot of interest and a good chance there is a lot of talent in the program, which is stating the obvious.

A and B team is usually just Varsity and JV. It is a good signs they have enough young guys their to put together a JV 7 on 7 team though

I think the biggest question for Graham will be the QB. With Clements probably won’t have to throw an abundance but you need to have that option available. The kid did well at JV level and hopefully adapts to varsity level, he’s only a sophomore but has good genes, Connor Roberts’ younger brother. 

3 hours ago, CPF said:

I'd just like to point out that Richlands beat Graham last year in 7 on 7. How did that turn out again in September?

Good point! 7 on 7s don’t mean much in the grand scheme but it will be good for the younger guys especially Roberts at QB getting some experience and getting his  timing better. He’s got some speedy guys to throw to so it’s an adjustment from JV. I think Graham will work out any kinks and be a solid contender again. 

12 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think the biggest question for Graham will be the QB. With Clements probably won’t have to throw an abundance but you need to have that option available. The kid did well at JV level and hopefully adapts to varsity level, he’s only a sophomore but has good genes, Connor Roberts’ younger brother. 

I think grahams biggest question mark will be replacing Connor Roberts and anyone else they graduated off that front. That have been the most dominant D lines in the area the past few years. They dominated a few games just snapping the ball to Clements or the Floyd kid last year. If one of those kids can kind of  throw a ball they could pull a Giles and line up in the single wing and roll thru the regular season again

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I think grahams biggest question mark will be replacing Connor Roberts and anyone else they graduated off that front. That have been the most dominant D lines in the area the past few years. They dominated a few games just snapping the ball to Clements or the Floyd kid last year. If one of those kids can kind of  throw a ball they could pull a Giles and line up in the single wing and roll thru the regular season again

The line won't be a problem. They're going to be big and strong again.

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham must not have done well at all to not even make it to semifinals. 

These 7 on 7's are meaningless regarding outcome/scores etc.  Where they are meaningful is team building, camaraderie, just getting kids around the program and out of the house.  If teams are doing 7 on 7's in the summer, then it's likely the kids participating are probably in the weight room, around the locker room, etc.  Every team that participated in the event is a winner because they are doing something, at least something, to prepare for the season, so its good imo.  With that written, if teams don't participate in 7 on 7's, but they are just hammering away in the weight room, watching film, learning technique, around each other doing something, even if hiking in the woods, doing something to build team cohesion is also a good thing.

3 hours ago, CPF said:

The line won't be a problem. They're going to be big and strong again.

That’s exactly why 7 on 7s are almost pointless. Yea you could have a talented qb and some talented route runners but when it comes down to it the biggest influence on the game are the guys in the trenches. Prime example:Lebanon

23 minutes ago, Stelley said:

That’s exactly why 7 on 7s are almost pointless. Yea you could have a talented qb and some talented route runners but when it comes down to it the biggest influence on the game are the guys in the trenches. Prime example:Lebanon

That's where we got to be better in Pearisburg.  We've been down (obviously) from what we once were.  We have still had some very good athletes, pretty good skilled positions kids over the last 7 years and we have one now imo that's a stud (needs to touch the ball more outside of the tackles imo) but if you look at when we've been down and compare that say.....to the lineplay of 10 years ago, it's just night and day different.  If you have the bigs up front, everything can change. Has to start there imo.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

These 7 on 7's are meaningless regarding outcome/scores etc.  Where they are meaningful is team building, camaraderie, just getting kids around the program and out of the house.  If teams are doing 7 on 7's in the summer, then it's likely the kids participating are probably in the weight room, around the locker room, etc.  Every team that participated in the event is a winner because they are doing something, at least something, to prepare for the season, so its good imo.  With that written, if teams don't participate in 7 on 7's, but they are just hammering away in the weight room, watching film, learning technique, around each other doing something, even if hiking in the woods, doing something to build team cohesion is also a good thing.

I have to disagree with you here friend.  I would caveat that the approach and execution of SWVA teams in 7v7 may be pointless, but that it mostly due to staff approach.  If executed properly you are providing valuable reps for over 70% of your football team.  It is invaluable for your back four (DBs)...if used properly.  You can't simulate game speed and route running in practice that you get from the other team's WR1 and WR2.  Additionally, every LB and DB in SWVA needs more experience in pass coverage.  That is the defensive perspective which hardly anyone considers.  

Now, the offensive side.  You absolutely have to develop that timing.  Football, like every other sport, is about repetitions.  If my kids are getting more reps than yours...they will be more prepared.  Look no further than Greg Mance for how you should approach 7v7's.  The guy repped his passing game hard during the spring and summer so that when fall camp started he was able to focus on the running game.  Mance was pretty good at slinging the ball around.  I've not seen it in any of the 7v7s that I've attended over the past couple of years but...the OC absolutely should be utilizing this time to let the QB read coverages and defenses.  Sadly....the plays are called and the QB throws his #1 route.  

Just go to a football hotbed state like FL, TX or GA and watch their 7v7's and ask them if it is pointless.  They'll likely laugh out loud.  : )

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I have to disagree with you here friend.  I would caveat that the approach and execution of SWVA teams in 7v7 may be pointless, but that it mostly due to staff approach.  If executed properly you are providing valuable reps for over 70% of your football team.  It is invaluable for your back four (DBs)...if used properly.  You can't simulate game speed and route running in practice that you get from the other team's WR1 and WR2.  Additionally, every LB and DB in SWVA needs more experience in pass coverage.  That is the defensive perspective which hardly anyone considers.  

Now, the offensive side.  You absolutely have to develop that timing.  Football, like every other sport, is about repetitions.  If my kids are getting more reps than yours...they will be more prepared.  Look no further than Greg Mance for how you should approach 7v7's.  The guy repped his passing game hard during the spring and summer so that when fall camp started he was able to focus on the running game.  Mance was pretty good at slinging the ball around.  I've not seen it in any of the 7v7s that I've attended over the past couple of years but...the OC absolutely should be utilizing this time to let the QB read coverages and defenses.  Sadly....the plays are called and the QB throws his #1 route.  

Just go to a football hotbed state like FL, TX or GA and watch their 7v7's and ask them if it is pointless.  They'll likely laugh out loud.  : )

SwvaOG, good points.