What happened at Union/Ridgeview soccer game?

pakdastands

Video is on Facebook and Twitter.  Doesn't show who or what started it though.  I've heard a Ridgeview parent made a racial slur, but I've also heard a Union parent was making fun of a Ridgeview kid.  I heard a Ridgeview fan broke 5 ribs and broke his pelvis.  Also hear charges are pending.  What's most shocking is the woman who gets shoved down by the main aggressor in the brawl and seems to smack her head on the pavement.  That dude, whoever he is, is not cool in my book.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Neither is assault and battery. Two wrongs never make a right!!!

Nope. But they need to investigate this fully. I wouldn’t be surprised if more people get charged. 

On 5/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

Video is on Facebook and Twitter.  Doesn't show who or what started it though.  I've heard a Ridgeview parent made a racial slur, but I've also heard a Union parent was making fun of a Ridgeview kid.  I heard a Ridgeview fan broke 5 ribs and broke his pelvis.  Also hear charges are pending.  What's most shocking is the woman who gets shoved down by the main aggressor in the brawl and seems to smack her head on the pavement.  That dude, whoever he is, is not cool in my book.

I dont blame him for throwing the woman down, he's fighting with multiple males and in the middle of the ruckus the woman literally jumps down on top of him and he threw her off of him. She got off easy imo

25 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Nope. But they need to investigate this fully. I wouldn’t be surprised if more people get charged. 

I dont see how only 1 person was arrested, 4 should have been imo. The one who was arrested obviously got the better licks in but he was far from the only responsible person. 

Also heard a guy who tried to separate them and prevent the whole thing is the one with 4 broken ribs and a broken pelvis, when they initially tumbled he got caught on the bottom and concrete doesn't have much give to it.

Ive got very little problem with men fighting honestly, if someone is running his mouth then someone needs to shut it for him but take it outside/to the parking lot. You cant fight around people 

I just watched a national news agency clip on Instagram of this incident. They quoted Wise County Sheriff E. Grant Kilgore "the rumors of racial slurs leading to the altercation are unsubstantiated. Based on eye witness accounts, it appears the match score led to tension that led to physical violence."

Apparently, the scoreboard was incorrect, leading to arguments that turned violent. 

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I just watched a national news agency clip on Instagram of this incident. They quoted Wise County Sheriff E. Grant Kilgore "the rumors of racial slurs leading to the altercation are unsubstantiated. Based on eye witness accounts, it appears the match score led to tension that led to physical violence."

Apparently, the scoreboard was incorrect, leading to arguments that turned violent. 

Wow... that's an even worse reason to start fighting at a high school game... 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Wow... that's an even worse reason to start fighting at a high school game... 

I can attest to the ridiculousness of fans being petty enough for this to happen. In 2009, I was referring a JV football game. A high school kid was operating the scoreboard and mistakenly posted a PAT rather than the 2-point conversion on the scoreboard. The "fans" became so unruly, a dad walked out onto the field, shoved me in the back while cursing me out over the incorrect score on the scoreboard. Not being fully aware of what was happening and thinking I was being attacked, I decked the guy before police arrested him. All because the scoreboard read 23-16 rather than 24-16.

It amazes me how some people don't understand basic rules of the sports they claim to love. The scoreboard is a convenience in high school athletics for the fans. The official score is in the white hats shirt pocket. 

So based on that we can surmise that Ridgeview fans whined about the score, Union fan got mad at Ridgeview fans and threw down....

Although the actions of Union fan can't be excused here, but still.....

*sigh*  Did Clintwood folks always cry this much?  Cause I can guarantee you I never saw Haysi or Ervinton fans act like this, what say you @redtiger?

As I've mentioned recently during basketball season, the few times I've went to Ridgeview sporting events over the last couple of years, the fans bellyache over everything:  referee calls, referee non-calls, Abingdon being in the M7, Central and Union just existing period.  You name it, they're going to gripe about it.

18 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So based on that we can surmise that Ridgeview fans whined about the score, Union fan got mad at Ridgeview fans and threw down....

Although the actions of Union fan can't be excused here, but still.....

*sigh*  Did Clintwood folks always cry this much?  Cause I can guarantee you I never saw Haysi or Ervinton fans act like this, what say you @redtiger?

As I've mentioned recently during basketball season, the few times I've went to Ridgeview sporting events over the last couple of years, the fans bellyache over everything:  referee calls, referee non-calls, Abingdon being in the M7, Central and Union just existing period.  You name it, they're going to gripe about it.

Not like this.  Clintwood fabs used to be ok till the last state title run in football prior to consolidation.  Now most of them think they are experts on everything.  
The biggest problem and this will sound and may be sexist) is the moms.  They are usually the instigators.  They take everything their ignorant husband says in the stands as the truth and pour gasoline on the situation.  
Having said that, Haysi and Ervinton fans aren’t exactly angels either.  

On 5/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, BearsFan88 said:

I don’t know a lot about soccer rules and penalties. I’m willing to learn. 

But yelling racial slurs is not ok. 

Well when you get into a fight these days and are the guilty party you scream the other party yalled a racial slur so it makes it ok