SWVASports.com is coming to an end…

GMan

I wrote this in the chat box.  To do what Gman did simply for free, no monetary gain, just did because he likes High School football in SWVA speaks volumes about his character.  A big thank you for the website.  I've enjoyed in my time on here.  There is swvasports on Facebook, so maybe I will track on over there.  

Peace out ya'll.  And as always, Give Em Hell Bandana Bunch!

Oh wow... I joined this site as a spry high school sophomore in 2005. It's seen me graduate from Richlands, battle clinical depression, lose a relationship after a miscarriage, pick up the pieces and figure a way back out of the darkness, enroll and graduate from SWCC, transfer and graduate from VT, re-meet my wife (the same woman who I drifted from when she miscarried all those years ago), have a son, buy a house, cars, and learn that life is more than our flaws and our mistakes. 

The end of this site feels like the death of a close family member. This place has been the one constant in my life. It's led to what will be lifelong friendships and some fun "rivalries." 

Thanks for giving us this place to talk and spend our downtime, GMan. I appreciate it more than I could ever put into words!

“A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep.”

- Pete Seeger

For everything in life, there is a season, and that includes message boards devoted to high school sports in an oft-forgotten part of Virginia.  For the 19 or so years I was here, I’m deeply thankful.  I’ve seen the brightest and best in people I once questioned, and I’ve seen the darkest and nastiest in people I once considered allies.  I’ve seen cause for celebration, and I’ve seen reason for sadness.   I’ve celebrated new additions to families, and I’ve mourned members who left us far too soon.  The sun will continue to rise, but I’ll remember this site fondly, both good and bad.  

For every time I made a real-life friend through this website, and for every time someone attempts to sabotage my career and my family’s livelihood for taking a principled yet unpopular opinion.  For every underdog I cheered, for every cupcake schedule I questioned.  For every touchdown, basket, run, point, goal, ace, lap, and birdie over the past 20 years.  I bid adieu, SWVASports.  

Gman thank you for this outlet you have provided.  I became a member in 2007 and I've had ups and downs with it, but all in all have enjoyed it.   Not knowing "behind the scenes workings" I'm sure it has been tasking for you at times.     Thanks for the memories you  allowed us to make as we came together for our love of sports.  

BEST TO YOU!!!!

Even though I have migrated to Tennessee high school sports in the last several years as that's where I live now, I still keep up with and follow the Virginia side on a regular basis as well.  This site gave me the idea to create the Mountain Empire High School Sports group on Facebook as a way to talk high school sports in Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.  Well, as it turns out, most of, if not all of the 368 members are mostly SWVA folks anyway, including some of the folks from here, so if y'all want a place to come and chat sports, the door is open over there as well.  Just send me or the wife a request.  We'd be glad to have you.

Thank you @GMan for everything you've done to maintain this site and for being a friend outside of this site too over the years.  I'm sure we'll continue to have the occasional chat over on Facebook as well.

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

“A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep.”

- Pete Seeger

I never felt King Solomon got the credit he deserved for Turn! Turn! Turn!

Thank you Gman for providing such a great site.  It has helped me follow my high school and many others through the years.  I will miss it like a good friend.  All the best to you and everyone else who contributed their opinions over the years.  May God bless you all.

Thank you GMan for your dedication to this site and for all of the folks that have continued to post here over the years. As Ryan stated, a lot of life changes have happened since I've been a member here so I'm sad to see it go. Best of luck to all of you!