John Battle vs Patrick County -- What Happened?

V-Cats

I, along with most others from our area, assumed Battle was the favorite to win Class 2 baseball this spring and so I was shocked to see not just that they lost in the state quarters but the margin of defeat as well

Was it just an off night or is Patrick County that good?

More of the later I believe.  Any team that can hit Gobble and Hankins that well is a good team.  Throw in the fact that they had there own D-1 commit and a few others who will be playing at some level beyond high school and you have a comfortable victory.  Quite honestly, the teams out east see 85-88 frequently.  It is rarer around here.  

Patrick County has been building this baseball program for a few years now. They have a pipeline of kids that have grown up playing travel ball in North Carolina and are extremely competitive when doing so. They are very good and will be for the foreseeable future.

Living in a community that borders Patrick County, and having worked with the former Mayor of the Town of Stuart for the past 16 years, I can assure you, nobody in this area was surprised by the outcome. 

Patrick Co has been building this team for awhile. As a 2A playing against Halifax Co, Tunstall, Magna Vista and Bassett they see mid to upper 80's on a consistent basis. The Coach's son has committed to Va Tech and a couple more have committed to Ferrum and other places. They will be good again next year, but they also move to the Three Rivers district so I don't know how many of the larger schools they still will be playing.