All-Time SWVA Teams?

Jeffersonville34

For those fans who have seen a few games..who would be on your all time GHS, RHS, THS, Beaver..etc basketball teams?

For Tazewell I would pick up Stanley Bowles, Yost, Michael Kidd, Josh Saunders or Kondawani Patterson, Will Horton or Chris Webb. How about you all?

Didn't Stephen Reed play b-ball? I can't remember b/c he's a few years older than I am. If so, I know I would put him on the team for Tazewell. Stephen was an awesome athlete - flat out. I don't quite think he got the credit he deserved. A real nice guy too.

Which Yost are you talking about by the way? I don't know if I'd put Saunders or Horton on a first-team, second-team possibly. They're good, but I'd have to look at some older players before I decided. Patterson - definitely talented. I think he was someone who had a lot more to offer, but didn't use all of his potential. The Terry brothers used to play for Tazewell, but I think they ended up moving like their sophomore/junior years. They were really talented players. You know, it's too bad that Ben Shrader didn't play for Tazewell.

Steven was a trackster and a football player as far as I know, between he and Jason Kwun you'll find the best runners ever at THS. If Kondawani had been on a better team, i still think we'd be seeing him on TV for football OR basketball. I believe his name was Bruce Yost, crazy jumpshot! Ben Shrader has been amazing since he was very young, and I like the way he plays, but I may take an Isaac Cecil, or a Jason Snapp (in a passing mood!) at point.

It's really sad when people nominate themselves for these teams, especially when they shouldn't even sniff the team. In addition, the Cecil kid from Tazewell couldn't hold Ben Shrader's jock-strap. It's easy to look better than you are when you're surrounded by a bunch of very average players like Cecil was when he played at Tazewell...

I'd have to go with Shrader at point. He's a much better all-around player. But I guess this discussion doesn't even matter b/c he never played for Tazewell. Not to take anything away from Cecil, but I do agree with BR's point. Let's face it - Tazewell and basketball just haven't been a strong combination in the past decade. I don't know about Snapp. He wouldn't be my choice on a b-ball or football team. The teams (football and basketball) that Patterson played for were good. The problem is both coaching staffs did not adequately use the players they had (limiting a lot of players' potential in my opinion). Those teams (esp. football) should have went much farther than they did.

Yeah, I'll give you Shrader, I guess I'm mad he didn't stay in Tazewell, haha

Cockrell is a name should've mentioned too, olewave. I agree though, Kondawani could've really done something if he'd been used a little better. Which leads me to the question of why Tech doesn't recruit this area better, tazhokie?! I really expected them to get after Bradshaw!?

Good question. I've wondered why there isn't much recruiting in the area as well. My guess would be little recognition is given to SWVA players overall by the state press and coaches are only going to go after names they know (unless they are sent tapes,etc.) Of course, every now and then VT picks up a SWVA player for football (like the Gate City player who graduated a year or two ago from VT - I forgot his name - Breeding? Beasley?). This is really BR's area though. He knows a ton about Hokie football. It seems like the smaller schools in the region pick up more SWVA players b/c they know much more about these players than larger schools do. Plus with VT growing on a such wide national scale, they aren't going to look so close to home as they used to.

I heard VT was interested in Bradshaw at one time, but lost interest due to his (how shall I say?) discipline problems and decided to pursue "safer" recruits (a laughable notion in light of recent events regarding Vick and Imoh). But there are a lot of talented players in the area that go unrecognized as you well know.

Seriously, Discipline problems!? I thought it was the same reason they gave up on Vic Hall at Gretna, some mysterious force we'll never understand. I was down in Charlotte not long ago, and I'm pretty sure Tech is still gonna sign that cornerback that got arrested for stealing some thousand dollars worth of computers, so whatever the discipline problems with Bradshaw, I dare say they weren't that bad! The talent in SWVA and WV is about the most untapped recruiting ground in the nation as far as I can tell. WVU and Marshall tend to come down every once in a while, and UVA came down to get Yubrenal Isabelle (sp?). Seriously, look how terrible Beasley turned out for Tech, he's on the Vikings now isn't he? I can't figure why they aren't, but Graham and Beaver especially should be on the radar at Tech

The Hokies most likely still have a bad taste in their mouth over the Yubrenal Isabelle recruitment. Isabelle committed to the Hokies in January of 1997 following an official visit. However, he ended up signing the LOI with Virginia. The Hokies were pretty miffed at how things played out b/c two days after he had committed to them three Virginia coaches flew to Bluefield to meet with the Isabelle family. They were also upset about the fact that Virginia alum and donor Zane Dale Christian of Bluefield was seen at a Bluefield basketball game with the Isabelle family during that same week. The NCAA and ACC conducted an investigation into the matter, but it was ruled that the Isabelle’s had a prior relationship with Mr. Christian, and they did.

As for Bradshaw, I’ve heard a couple of various things there, but none had anything to do with any possible discipline issues. The Hokies were concerned with Mr. Christian’s influence in the situation, like the Isabelle situation, and didn’t want to get burnt twice. The Hokies are also trying to recruit more size in the secondary. If you’ve watched any Hokie games in recent years you know they’ve been burnt numerous times b/c of height disadvantages of cornerbacks. At 5’10â€ÂÂ, Bradshaw didn’t fit into the mold they were looking for. Additionally, they felt he wasn’t fast enough to play HB on the major D1 level. Plus I’ve also heard that the Bradshaw family was pretty much set on Virginia from the get go b/c of the academic reputation.

How can you guys leave out Jessie Davis from your Tazewell team. As far as GHS there have been 3 players in the last 3 years that could make any team 1) Paco Jones 2) Ahmad Bradshaw and 3) Nathan Belcher who was probably the best basketball PLAYER in the area the last 2 years. Also for GHS you had Latimer, Travis Law, Randy (Moon) Moore, and J. Gray, who buy the way used to torch Kon Patterson on a regular basis.

• 4 months later...

For Tazewell definitely Calvin Cockrell but Eddie Witten was just a tall tower taking up space not worth a crap. There's two young upcoming stars for that Tazewell team though J.R. Wilson and Omar Reed. <font color="black"> </font>

Guest old_school

You can go back on this one and find some really good basketball players. John Walker and Nick Puckett from Tazewell are two that really stand out. One of the best players ever in the SWVA area was the Kennedy kid from Pocahontas. Played back in the 70's early 80's. The guy was just an unreal talent.

Grundy could and should be on the list...Brad Goff, and Jimmy Williamson were good back in the day and players as late as Aaron Reece and Ben Looney could be considered. Looney is the all time leading scorer and Aaron is easily the best overall PG to ever come out of Grundy.

that was kind of shocking not to see any grundy players even mentioned...Brad Goff, Jimmy Williamson, Steve Farmer, Brent Osborne, Gary Holland, Aaron Reece, Ben Looney...if nobody remembers Grundy was one of the better teams in SWVA and dominated the SWD for a 3 year span....back to back undefeated seasons and the year before they went 10-1...thats a 30-1 record in the district over a 3 year spand(including SWD tourneys)....just rather shockin that none of those players are on the list

Grundy's basketball program tends to be overshadowed by the football and wrestling teams...and they have struggled the last few years...but the program has put out some excellent players

Council was a mind thing with us...and yes they did outcoach us as well...i never could understand why we couldn't get over that hurdle....but that shows how good of a coach Rick Goodman is....and they had some talent on their teams as well

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, no players from Bluefield's 94-95 team are on this all-time list... this was the first ever championship team for Bluefield and they were stacked with quality athletes such as : Ronnie Wells(First team all-state) , Willie Ellison (First team all-state), and AJ Martin (also an all-stater). All would be on my list.

[ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, no players from Bluefield's 94-95 team are on this all-time list... this was the first ever championship team for Bluefield and they were stacked with quality athletes such as : Ronnie Wells(First team all-state) , Willie Ellison (First team all-state), and AJ Martin (also an all-stater). All would be on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take either '95 or '96 Bluefield team and put them up against a team made up the best players from around the rest of the region...