All-Time SWVA Teams?

Jeffersonville34

• 1 month later...

For Richlands:

PG- Petey Ball (Class of '89)

Scored over 1,000 points. Member of RHS teams that won SWD regular season and tournament titles back to back in 1988 and 1989.

Wing - Randall Dills (Class of '83)

Also a member of the over 1,000 club. Runner-up for SWD Player of the Year and second in scoring on 1982-83 team that won SWD tournament title and set the pace for the remainder of the '80s.

Wing - Fred Phillips (Class of '84)

I think Fred scored over 1,000 during his time at RHS as well. If not, he came pretty close. Had single game high in SW Virginia during 1982-83 season (35 points, which is more impressive given the balance that RHS had that year). Led 1983-84 team to 16 game winning streak.

Post - Rick Hardman (Class of '86)

Scored over 1,000 points. Dominated the paint and the boards for 1984-85 team that went 21-3 and was arguably the most talented RHS squad ever.

Post - Randall Lowe (Class of '85)

With Hardman, "Randai" was second half of one-two punch that led Blues to a 21-3 record and the SWD tournament title in 1985. Leading scorer of an exceptionally balanced team.

Honorable mention:

Nick McGhee - PG (Class of '83)

Ricky Michaels - PG (Class of '85)

Scotty Michaels - W (Class of '85)

Scott Keene - Wing (Class of '90)

Randy Robinson - Wing (Class of '84)

Barry Yost - Post (Class of '82)

Mark Ginn - Post (Class of '84)

the best shooter this side of Roanoke Va (JJ Redick) but a guy played for Abingdon in the late 70's & early 80's that was a threat when he crossed half court(before the 3 point line was implemented) his last name was McCall he could flat out shoot the round ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Graham has had plenty of good shooters in its history. Scott Meadows, Shane Compton, Randy "Moon" Moore, J. Gray, A. Bradshaw, and there are more that came before these guys. Scott and J are if I'm not mistaking the top 2 in Bluefield State history is threes made. Gray had over 200 and I'm not sure about scott but he does have the record for most threes in a game with 9. Gray's most was 7 Compton also played at BSC.

• 1 month later...

I am Kon Patterson's nephew and I've gotta stand up for him. He played for Ronnie Duncan. My auncle and him got into fights often and he inded up kicking my auncle off the team because he had braids. I've also played for him and he is not that good of a coach. My auncle was very good and had a chance to play at a D1 school but he did'nt keep up his grades.

Some guy named Ben Valley played for Honaker and Lebanon. I think he's in the VHSL hall of fame. I saw his name on a plack on up at Lebanon. It said he's regarded as one of the best all around athletes ever from SWVA. I think he might have played during the 50s. Has anyone ever heard of him, only thing I know about him is that he was in the 1000 point club in basketball at Honaker.

• 15 years later...

I'm about 15 years too late for this conversation, but just for the record - my junior year (76 - 77) basketball team at Grundy had 3 players to go on to score 1,000 pts. plus in college.  Pretty good I think.  Hunt and Williamson at Emory and Henry with Goff going to Bluefield College.  That's when it was what I call the real SWD.  Included Grundy, Richlands, Graham, Tazewell, Abingdon, Marion, Patrick Henry, John Battle, Virginia High, Gate City.  When you won that it was like winning the region today.