Best Running back in SWD???

hurtholdback12

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know who I would want on my team but every SWD team I've seen this year has a pretty good running game. Ringstaff and Marcum probably are the two best though. I guess you could compare their stats against common opponents to get an idea of who's better.

I wish people would stop trying to compare Ringstaff and Marcum...if you watch them both, they are two different style runners...Ringstaff is more like Emmit Smith, quick to the hole and a great north-south runner with good speed...Marcum is more like Barry Sanders, he has moves that will leave people going in one direction while he is going in another and makes people miss and if he can get in the open, he has the speed to take it home.

They are two different styles...both great backs. If Garon had the carries that Ringstaff had, his numbers would be HUGE and probably close to a kid name Jones that played a few years ago down in the LPD.

The paper had a comparison of the two last week as far as raw numbers, i forget the exact details...Ringstaff has a LOT more carries than Marcum.

There is no way to compare the two, they simply have different styles of running and different lines to run behind...I doubt anyone would turn either one away from a team if they were looking for a quality RB. Another point, Garon shares time with a talented AW Looney also...Ringstaff is the show at Richlands.

Very true Lance, Marcum has skills as well as Cain, after viewing your clips I give Marcum plenty of props, because he is not getting the blocking that Cain is. A post on one of these threads stated Grundy is working on the blocking schemes and I hope they do because Grundy Has talented runners and They will meet stronger oppanants going into the playoffs.

You cant even compare Marcum with either of the Jones brothers from PV. They are in a totally different league than him and any other player from around here. They even made Bradshaw look stupid. Marcum or Ringstaff couldnt even hold a light to either of them. Marcum is a great running back but not even close to them.

There is nothing wrong with comparing them. It's what internet message boards are for. Doesn't matter that they have different styles. What matters is how well the tote the rock.

Julius Jones had 614 carries for 5803 yards and 86 touchdowns. I have to think if Marcum could approach that, he would get the carries.

If Marcum goes to a school like Notre Dame or Virginia and excells then ill give him his props. He maybe will go to D1 school but he wont be the top player on that team. But if he does then ill give credit where credit is due. Also there shouldnt be any excuss about not carrying the ball much if hes great as they say he will be getting the ball more than he is.

I wasnt talking about in present time im talking about when Julius was in High School he made Marcum look stupid. Marcum will never be as sucessful as Julius or Thomas has been. He may go play very small D1 ball but no where like Notre Dame or Virginia. He could maybe be on there scout team who gets drill all the time in practice for fun but he will never be a star as Julius was. Even in high school, he will never be like julius was. He cant even be in the same sentence as them. Like i said before he is the best back in the area by far but that doesnt mean hes Julius or Thomas Jones.

hang on a minute man...I didn't say anything like what you are making it out to be here...all I said was if you take his avg. and compare it as a JR, if he got the same amount of carries, he would put up the same type of numbers.

I'll get you the numbers and you can do the math yourself....it's pretty close actually.

He's on pace to get 30 TD's in the regular season...not bad.

The reason he has not gotten more carries isn't that he doesn't have the talent...it's because if he did have more Grundy would have run the score up on about 4 teams worse than they did...in the games he got pulled in the second half, he was in the endzone every other time he touched the ball...first game of the year I think he only had about 4 carries. Plus with an offense like Grundy has, you have to spread the ball around and let everyone get theirs...keep everyone happy...AW Looney is a senior and needs to get his carries to...plenty of wealth to go around, they do a great job of spreading it out in most games. Baker, Bronson, Looney, and both Marcums usually all get their shots at the endzone during a game...sometimes they all get in, sometimes they don't...they don't worry about who it is as long as someone does get in.

And my point was that you can compare them all day long, with different styles and situations it's stupid to think you can pick one over the other...the better back depends on your running situation.

I will ask you guys this, you put Ringstaff behind Grundy's line and put Marcum behind Richlands line and give them equal amounts of carries in a reversed situation....who do you think gets more yards and TD's?

I found the numbers...

Through the first 6 games:

Marcum:

-70 carries

-878 yards

-12.54 yards per carry

-18 td's

-(3) 2pt conv

-114 total points

Ringstaff:

-113 carries

-551 Yards

-4.9 Yards per carry

-12 TD's

-72 total points

*Ringstaff 7 game totals:

-136 carries

-736 yards

-5.41 yards per carry

-14 TD's

-84 total points

I wasnt comparing him to Ringstaff because i know hes a lot better than ringstaff is. Hes the best back in the area. What im saying is that hes not a Julius or Thomas Jones. These two backs were untouchable. They put the whole PV team on there shoulders and won State Championships.

I want Grundy to schedule Richlands no later than week 5 if both teams will agree to this. This is part of Grundy's big losing streak to Richlands. It takes grundy 5 games to get it together. Like I would love to see Grundy Richlands now. I guarantee Grundy wouldn't lose by 3 touchdowns.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me, wasn't grundy's last win against Richlands a week five or later game? Im gonna go see and see what I can come up with.

Its funny that Richlands doesnt need 5 weeks to get prepared. If your a good team you dont need 5 weeks to prepare. There should be no excuse why you lose 1st week or 10th week so quict making excuses, you lost its in the past let it go. Anyway I have to agree with you on one thing though, Grundy wouldnt lose by 3 touchdowns, it would probably be more.

I'll agree with Grundy wouldn't lose by 3 touchdowns, I think it would be a closer game if they played now. Grundy had a lot of mental breakdowns during the Richlands game. But, making a change in the schedule is crazy. Each team has the same amount of time to prepare for their opponent. Grundy was well prepared from the KY teams they played early in the season. Who's to say that by giving Richlands more time to play together and by week 5 has their stuff together and still beats Grundy. I'm not trying to bash anyone or get anything started. Just saying that when I played, you start preparing for the team you are playing on Friday the Monday before. I don't think rescheduling a game to later in the season is the answer you are looking for........jmo.

I agree 89, take it a week at a time and u play to how u practiced that week also...sloppy week of practice mos likely means u will make sum mistakes...but a good hard week of practice and u are going to be on top of things! And from a players point Richlands had a GREAT week of practice this year for Grundy! But newayz u should be ready for every game not jus focus on one game, even tho i think RIchlands is Grundys probly biggest rival!GO BLUES

I don't think it matters when you play Richlands. Week 1 or week 10...you have to go in ready to play and show up, we didn't do that in week 4. I still don't think that the KY teams are as weak as anyone says, I think we just played a horrible game with to many mistakes against Richlands...if we had played like that against any of those KY teams we would have lost to them to.

Sometimes it does take a team a couple of weeks to get going..if anything I think it would be better to schedule Richlands in week one or two, they seem to have problems getting going for a couple of weeks, Tazewell last year and GC this year.

Anyway...is there anything else silly we can argue about in this thread? What about uniform colors? lmfao

The first thing grundy can start doing is to quit scheduling cupcakes first three games and that will take care of a lot when they play richlands. Grundy beat AA Sheldon Clark first game of season by 50 points....COME ON GUYS EAST RIDGE BEAT SHELDON CLARK. So quitmaking excuses....dont act like they p;layed some powerhouses from KY....I dont even think sheldon clark would be a good game for twin valley or hurley

[ QUOTE ]

The first thing grundy can start doing is to quit scheduling cupcakes first three games and that will take care of a lot when they play richlands. Grundy beat AA Sheldon Clark first game of season by 50 points....COME ON GUYS EAST RIDGE BEAT SHELDON CLARK. So quitmaking excuses....dont act like they p;layed some powerhouses from KY....I dont even think sheldon clark would be a good game for twin valley or hurley

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah they should schedule a powerhouse like Hurley or something...lol

Fact remains, all of those KY schools were scheduled 2 years ago...all made the playoffs last year, and are all bigger schools than Grundy except for Paintsville - who is probably the best team of the bunch.

Grundy has the kind of team Hurley can only look at in awe and wish they had...you guys have managed to win more this year than you have in the past 4 combined though..I'll give you some credit in doing that...esp. with the number of kids you have on the team this year and the injuries you have had. Just be glad you don't have to play us this year.

Will the jealousy at Hurley ever stop? I guess it will have to when they shut you guys down and move you to Grundy, however most of your starters wouldn't get any playing time at Grundy.