Devon Brown, Waynesboro

Second Team

Kiera Parker, Riverbend

Krystal Garrison, Courtland

Ashley Jones, Brookeville

Kari Jackson, Sr., Abingdon

Genora Dalton, Martinsville

Allie Hunter, Tazewell

although i disagree with you on the jackson kid, coaches in the other regions of va operate under the assumption that region iv doesn't exist, which is completely unfair.

may i add that allie hunter as second team is absolutely, insanely ridiculous? i suppose her coach went to the vhsca meeting also... probably counted votes there, too. *sigh*

this is offical coaches team

--Bristol Herald Courier will come out soon-and they will probably pick jackson-they have for 3 years now-that is really he best accomplishment she has-just makes the sportswriters look stupid lol! she never won a district for her teams and you think POY!!! Jackson can not compete with the likes of barbour---barbour most definitely is poy in the state--jackson does not belong on state team-so so many better than her.Dude, you are either related or you know absolutely nothing!!! Oh yea, you are from Grundy that explains it--Grundy hasn't known bball in years!!!

she has no college interest-she said so herself in an interview-just a lot of nonsense from her aau coach

the same is true of hunter-her coach said she was invited to walk on-uva said she wasn't -anyone that attends can try out-thats true of any college

For everyone who has not taken basketball 101 under the World famous Barry Reed, we can only imagine who should be on all state teams. For one, the Jackson girl was the best player on the falcons team. Jill Perdue was a close second. As for Va. high they had a collection of good athletes. Winning with class is a taught trait. Getting on here and tooting your kudos is a very selfish act. Be glad of the good fortune your team had and any awards you got. (Good luck at UAB)

let me guess-press box-- lloyd combs!!!

what was i tooting?? the all state team??!! Barbour??!! Did you get offended by that??!! Why did you mention Reed--are you jealous of Reed or what?? bball 101 ?? maybe you should study!!

you must be reffering to shepard from va high, right but somehow your point is missed! we were talking about jackson and hunter correct??

But lets talk about va high-- Final Four in State!! Shepard, Grimms and Wells are 1st team all District- Shephard signed with UAB, Grimms has interest from Va Intermont, Wells has interest from Clinch Valley--Shepard Highlands POY, one of 7 in VA selected Street & Smith All American-don't you read your own paper??? Va High beat Abing 9 out of 10 matchups! Not only that LOL I heard Abingdon has NEVER won a district in girls, yet the Bristol Herald Courier always picks them--go BHC-like I said shows you really know how to pick your players! keep picking the wrong ones, eventually someone in the head office will realize that their sportswriters need to be able to do more than type-they need to have knowledge of the sports they are covering!!

I am only stating facts--hey if you know something different post it!

fact is..I've talked to colleges and there is no college interest-she said so herself on the tube!!

"Jackson was the best that abingdon had" and what is that suposed to mean?? lets talk about abingdon--fact is they were picked to win district and again they didn't!! if they had used Jill Perdue more and taught Kari to pass the ball-Abingdon would have done better. Kari shoots too mmuch and her percentage isn't good! Give any girl that can halfway shoots that many shots and they will score 2000 also. Not an accomplishment when you are ball hoggin!! Barbour scored it legitimately. And if shepard took that many shots she would have surpassed the 2000 mark well before she was a senior. Purdue is a solid player. Basham is a tall player-she is going D1 on her height and Tech is hoping to make her a ball player. Abingdon has a winning record against losing teams...when they play teams with winning records ...they LOSE! Those are the facts about abingdon.

now lets talk about who should have been on the 2nd team--how about STATE CHAMPS Hidden Valley players kylee and abbey redick--two more D1 prosepects. Guess you think Jackson outplayed them too. LOL

now lets be nice--Good Luck at UAB to Shepard -Good luck at Tech to Basham and Barbour. Good Luck to Kari (academically)at Clemson. Jill Perdue-Good luck to you-You should be POY next year!

It will be intersting to see who will be the player of the Year in the SWD? It is intersting that Hunter whose team finish a distant third in a five team league and was the third leading vote getter in the SWD was second team all-state and neither Watts or Keene the co-players of the year made second team. I wonder if coach Reid was trying to repay Tazewell for playing ove rhte years. Hunter is just a good high school player she would struggle to see time on the floor at UVA-Wise

from what i understand of the region iv meeting, the tazewell coach went to the region iv meeting to lobby for allie and was (how, i have no clue) given the task of counting votes. so, his player mysteriously ends up on first team, while a co-poy (granted, in the weakest district) got the last available slot on second team?? i, for one, smell a rat.

but, whatever makes him able to sleep at night. vhsca meetings are a complete waste of time for region iv teams, anyway.

It is my KNOWLEDGE that the votes were calculated by the Tazewell coach who did attend the meeting but did not have a vote and that those votes were counted in the company of ALL voting coaches so if there was a problem trust me it would have been addressed -- and that Hunter did make 1st team All Region and would have made it even if he had not been there -- you see I am one of those that gave her a 6 the highest points possible -- as did 2 other coaches out of the six that voted -- the other 6 votes did not come from the SWD either but all the 6 votes came from 3 teams that had faced Hunter and had a respect for what she is and what it takes to defend her -- as for the UVA offer -- it is true that she has had an invitation to walk on at Charlottesville but whether she chooses to play is up to her -- she did turn down offers at ETSU and Ferman that I know of -- but sometimes there comes a time in a person's life that they make the choice to change their focus -- she made her decision on which college to attend by academics and which school she would best fit -- she has spoke of attending UVA for a very long time and actually was accepted in the early admission process. As for the All - State POY I saw Barbour play and she is an exceptional athlete -- prob. the best girl I have seen in high school basketball ever -- I agree that Reddick and Beecher would have been great selections to the All State team -- both were invaluable to Hidden Valley at the state tournament.

Another case of someone from tazewell getting post season honors that did not earn it. This makes me sick how this works out every year. We should just get rid of all post season awards and let everyones play speak for themselves. Allie in the games I was at was lazy and did not even play defense behind the three point line. But like someone said if it makes the Tazewell coach sleep better then GIVE HER STATE POY, I would hate for him not to sleep well.

[ QUOTE ]

It is my KNOWLEDGE that the votes were calculated by the Tazewell coach who did attend the meeting but did not have a vote and that those votes were counted in the company of ALL voting coaches so if there was a problem trust me it would have been addressed...

[/ QUOTE ]

true, mitchell was non-voting. it is MY knowledge that one coach of the remaining ones gave her a 2 and another gave her a 1. and, those coaches--along with a third--left the meeting puzzled and discussing, shall we say, mitchell's math skills.

i'm glad you gave her a 6, if that's what you honestly feel she deserved; that's the way postseason voting should be handled. having seen her play also, i disagree with your ranking, but c'est la vie.

so, you're a coach. and, your team played tazewell. i'm assuming you're in the highlands, because you seem very familiar with hunter, and southwest teams typically play highlands teams more than piedmont teams. oh, and allie played aau with some abingdon girls.

it's interesting to me, though, that you bring up "what she is and what it takes to defend her." why? because the voting highlands teams were quite talented this season, and it strikes me as strange that they had to put forth quite the strenuous effort to defend one player, when neither carroll nor graham (from the inferior, lesser-talented swd, mind you) seemed to have a bit of trouble frustrating allie and exposing her for what she is-- a cocky and arrogant player who has, up until this year, made a name for herself based off of the talent that was around her--the most over-hyped player in the region, who quits on plays and asks to be taken out of games in which she's clearly frustrated, rather than try to fight through slumps, like a jenny keene or jessi watts.

case in point: if she was such a wonderful, fabulous player, a.) why did she have a worse year this season than last? it was her senior year, her time to shine. step up and seize the opportunity to lead a young team.

b.) why was she voted the 3rd best player in the swd? and don't even tell me it was political, because this one wasn't. it's not like it was even close: NO swd coach voted for allie as poy but her own. that speaks volumes.

btw, i totally agree with you on redick. kid's really talented.

• 1 month later...

littlraskul, I've been reading your posts for a while. You are obviously very knowledgeable of just about every sport out there... but public criticism of student athletes is something I don't like at all. The primary purpose of high school sports is to have fun. Reading negative comments about yourself on a public message board... not so much fun. These players are not pro athletes making millions of dollars. They're just kids and all that can ever be asked of them is their best. If you view it as constructive criticism meant to help the player improve... fine but that's the job of the coaches and it should be done in private.

I don't think that she was be critical of the player(hunter) but of Bill Mitchell the Coach of Tazewell who had some poor Math skills and even poorer Character. But that is how life in the SWD works

[ QUOTE ]

littlraskul, ...criticism of student athletes is something I don't like at all. The primary purpose of high school sports is to have fun. Reading negative comments about yourself on a public message board... not so much fun. These players are not pro athletes making millions of dollars. They're just kids and all that can ever be asked of them is their best. If you view it as constructive criticism meant to help the player improve... fine but that's the job of the coaches and it should be done in private.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, if you go back and reread my posts, i have, admittedly been critical of allie as both a player and a leader, but i have not done so in a malicious manner. other than her leadership, i have not attacked her character, because i do not know her personally. plenty of posters on here are also critical of other players, and i don't see that as a bad thing. i'm not going to sing the praises of players who i don't feel are worth the hype, and i am always realistic--and try to be objective--about the content of each of my posts.

if players or coaches are on this board reading the idle chatter of random people, and are offended by it, that is an internal issue with them that is no different than hearing and reacting to the negative comments of players/fans/random people in the stands. classify me as a mere idiot and disregard my remarks if you must, but i do not intend to change my pattern of thought or the general tone of my posts.

oh, and i disagree with you that the primary purpose of sports is to have fun. if yours was a true statement, then why do we keep score? while fun is obviously a byproduct of sports, at the varsity level, it isn't the main objective. ask coach mance what his #1 goal was this past season, and i doubt he'd say it was "to have fun" first and foremost.

Kids sign up to have fun. That's the purpose... Winning is a goal. "Hype" is created by people on message boards and the kids are not required to live up to it. They're kids! They deserve to log onto this board (that wouldn't exist without them) without seeing critical remarks from an anonymous stranger.

[ QUOTE ]

Kids sign up to have fun. That's the purpose... Winning is a goal...They're kids! They deserve to log onto this board (that wouldn't exist without them) without seeing critical remarks from an anonymous stranger.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's be honest: kids sign up for little league to have fun. young men and young women play varsity sports for the opportunity to compete, to win, and to enjoy the benefits of being part of a team. fun is what happens along the way. rec league ball is strictly for fun; varsity level sports, that's not the primary objective, and if any varsity coach tells you otherwise, they are being blatantly dishonest.

by your same logic, then, players deserve to walk into a rival's gym and be greeted with cheers and applause. any critical remarks made on this board are only different from verbal ones made in the stands in that one can revisit the site and experience them more than once. at the very least, this board teaches players the valuable life lesson that some "anonymous strangers" say things you won't agree with, and you should handle such remarks with grace and dignity rather than take their words as gospel before screaming "you shouldn't say such things about kids" when something is said that you don't necessarily agree with.

i do believe, though, that all players deserve to be spoken of in an honest, reasonably objective, and nonthreatening manner. and as i have previously stated, if my posts offend you that badly, please skip over them.

[ QUOTE ]

by your same logic, then, players deserve to walk into a rival's gym and be greeted with cheers and applause.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they deserve to walk into a rival's gym and be treated with respect. Same as they deserve here.

[ QUOTE ]

any critical remarks made on this board are only different from verbal ones made in the stands in that one can revisit the site and experience them more than once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. When a person in the stands makes a verbal comment toward a player that player can look in the stands and see who the person is. Any negative comments made by an adult fan to a student athlete is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

this board teaches players the valuable life lesson that some "anonymous strangers" say things you won't agree with, and you should handle such remarks with grace and dignity rather than take their words as gospel before screaming "you shouldn't say such things about kids" when something is said that you don't necessarily agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but this message board isn't here to teach them anything. It's here to discuss high school sports, not single out players by name. Especially players who have asked you repeatedly to stop. Teaching is best left to teachers and coaching is best left to coaches.

[ QUOTE ]

Teaching is best left to teachers and coaching is best left to coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am so done with this discussion of my ethics or whatever this has turned into, except to say only this much, possibly to take away some of this so-called "anonymity" of which you speak: i fully agree with you that teaching is best left to teachers, and coaching is best left to coaches.

that being said, for the record, i am both a teacher and a coach.

I'm not questioning your ethics and I suspected you were a teacher and a coach. Your posts are very intelligent, knowledgeable and articulate. I'm only stating my opinion that criticism of a student athlete (fair, constructive or otherwise) does not belong on a public message board. You can discuss sports and analyze team weaknesses without naming names.