Some moving up.... some moving down!

phatbeaver

I didn't know if any of you saw this. The article was on Metro News. http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=49274

11/17/2011

Classes Change For Some Schools

MetroNews

Statewide

Some school officials in West Virginia have some scrambling to do now that the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission is out with its reclassifications for high school sports.

There is not much of a change in Class A, but Class AA and Class AAA are a different story.

Six schools in Class AAA are moving down to Class AA. They are Nicholas County, North Marion, Bridgeport, Robert C. Byrd, East Fairmont and Fairmont Senior.

Meanwhlie, three AA schools are moving up to AAA. They are Point Pleasant, Oak Hill and Shady Spring.

Point Pleasant Athletic Director Keri Lewis says they're still trying to get over the shock. "We knew that we were going to be close, on the border line. But we really weren't sure how the reclassification was going to take place," she told MetroNews.

Point Pleasant was, at one time, a AAA school. But Lewis says that's been many years ago. She's disappointed that they're being shifted into the larger class. With 782 students, Lewis says they'll be competing against schools with more than twice that enrollment number.

"We feel like our school has finally reached a point where we're very competitive in many of our sports and I just think it's the fear of the unknown competing with such large schools," she said.

I wonder if any of them will be up to adding any of OUR local teams to their schedules now...... I hope to see Oak Hill keep the Beavers on their schedule , would love to see Shady come back, and would definately try and persuade a few of the new AA teams to try something different. Just a Thought....