Question for Ed or someone else

I had never seen this before until this year: In a double elimination sectional I had always seen seeds 2 and 3 play....the winner plays 1....then the loser of that game faces the loser of the first game in an elimination game.....the winner must then beat the other team twice to claim the championship.

Several sections have chosen a different path: They are essentially playing round robin. Of course if they end up 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 you have the same situation....the 1-1 team must beat the 2-0 team twice to claim the championship. I was just wondering if all teams are 1-1 how they are determining who plays the first elimination game and who gets the bye....are they going back to runs allowed or something like that?

I had never seen this before until this year: In a double elimination sectional I had always seen seeds 2 and 3 play....the winner plays 1....then the loser of that game faces the loser of the first game in an elimination game.....the winner must then beat the other team twice to claim the championship.

Several sections have chosen a different path: They are essentially playing round robin. Of course if they end up 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 you have the same situation....the 1-1 team must beat the 2-0 team twice to claim the championship. I was just wondering if all teams are 1-1 how they are determining who plays the first elimination game and who gets the bye....are they going back to runs allowed or something like that?

Are they really playing round robin + double elimination? Seems like it would be one or the other.

Those are two entirely different formats. One or the other would work, not both.

If they are combining them, that's monumentally strange.

Sectionals by rule in WV are double elimination.....but they are playing round robin to start with and then going from there. I just talked to Logans coach and the way they have agreed to is this

Logan beat GW......currently SC is ahead of Logan by 1 in the fifth inning....If SC would beat Logan then lose to GW all teams would have a 1-1 record

They go back to the first pairing and Logan plays GW again at the opposite field that they played the first game at....

The winner of that game would face SC for the sectional title.....

I thought it was strange but they thought it was fair and the best way to do it