Bill Cole for State Senate

SteveEurkel

I believe that on Tuesday you should go out and vote Bill Cole to the WV State Senate office. http://www.billcole2012.com/Why-I-Am-Running.html

What do you plan to accomplish in Charleston?

Simply stated, jobs and economic development. It is my intent to bring sound, common sense solutions that will overhaul West Virginia’s anti-business environment, thereby clearing the way for real job creation. I will vigorously pursue the implementation of policies that will create an environment conducive to growth in the private sector, thereby bringing more and better jobs to WV. These policies can take the form of incentives, credits for businesses that hire, and administrative and legal reforms.

Currently, the state’s idea of economic development is to offer relief from the same bad tax and business regulations that keep us from being competitive with our border states. Of course, this is OK for the business we are trying to bring in, but hardly fair to the business that is already here. We have to overhaul the regulations that keep us from being competitive - plain and simple.

What about the education crisis in our state?

The statistics are staggering. West Virginia ranks 22nd in per pupil spending, but only 50th out of 51 in final performance rank. Also, according to the Governor’s internal education audit, West Virginia is one of the most regulated school systems in the country. This leads me to believe that the potential for student achievement is diminished by crippling layers of bureaucracy.

It is also my understanding that as much as 80% of the WV prison population is comprised of high school dropouts. This would suggest that if our schools were more crowded, our prisons would be less crowded. We need to give our kids a reason to stay in school- that being the potential for a better life through available employment opportunities as they graduate.

What about crime and substance abuse?

Substance abuse is perhaps one of the most serious issues we face. There is no easy answer, but we certainly need to stop adding to the numbers. I believe a huge part of the answer lies in keeping our kids in school through graduation, thus making them ready for a smooth transition into the workforce. The most important factor is making sure there are job opportunities when they graduate. Of course, this goes full circle back to the need to change the anti-business status quo that has existed in Charleston for decad