A Matter of Heart

Deleted Account

I wasn't at either the Graham/Tazewell or Virginia High/Grundy game; I was in Atlanta watching my Cavaliers make a total moron out of Lee Corso. With that said, I will say my piece.

The Virginia High/Grundy game utterly shocks me, and my prognostication of 56-7. First off, I give Virginia High all the credit in the world; to beat a solid Grundy team, and the Marcum Brothers and Looney, it takes a total team effort, which Virginia High must have given. Games can be awfully ugly; I saw my share at Graham when I went to all but one game. However, in theory, referees are never wrong; give them the benefit of the doubt! Please, don't tarnish one team's overtime win (in a defensive lockdown, I mean, 0-0 at the end of regulation) in dispute of a few calls. A wrong-call on a fumble could've just as easily been an interception on the next play. Virginia High had the heart, while Grundy was lookin' past them toward Gretna in Region. That's not opinion, it's clearly fact.

Second, Graham/Tazewell does not surprise me as much. I missed that game, but I called it in an upset. Graham is weaker than pond water, so the expression goes. Tazewell isn't THAT great. Tazewell was the better team all along, and Wyatt has had a fantastic season there, to lead the team the farthest it has been since 1999. Again, don't blame the game's outcome on the referees. They may make mistakes in hindsight, but hindsight is perfect anyway. Graham had the chances to win it apparently, but (as has been a recurring theme all year long) Graham just could not give that extra heart to win it. I do not see Graham getting much better; in fact, I see Graham next year having its first losing regular-season since 1987. That's another topic for another day, though.

Now, I'll make my projection for Region IV. I say Tazewell 14, Virginia High 13. I give the winner of this game 100:1 odds to beat Gretna in the Virginia semi-finals. Though, I would have said the same about Grundy this week; Bearcat/Bulldog fans, have hope...anything can happen with heart.

I was just extremely tired at 3:30 AM when I posted this, especially from the long bus ride back through loads of traffic. I don't drink, I think alcohol is nasty, honestly, and what I said is the truth.

I see nothing wrong with my semicolon usage, tired or not; it subdivides my thoughts quite well. smirk.gif