Does Virginia Need a New Playoff System?

TheCurtain

There have been some major questions on the playoff system in the state of Virginia the last couple years. With Honaker getting the cold shoulder in 2003 as well as Haysi gettin the cold shoulder this year. Something has to be done.A team 9-1 must go the the playoffs. Teams that are 4-6 make the playoffs but a 9-1 team doesn't the system must be changed. They should change the system more like West Virginia and give ranks to the teams. They need to base the system on strength of schedule so teams can't beat the system. There have been a lot of teams who have took a weak schedule and made the playoffs who wouldnt have made it playing quality teams. And when playoff time comes it really shows. Please make some comments on what your opinion is on the playoff system.

Thanks

YES, Virginia is in desperate need of a revised playoff system.

For example: Region IV, Division 3 football only has six teams (Grundy, Tazewell, Graham, Virginia High, Martinsville, and Dan River). Region III, Division 3 has eleven teams (Christiansburg, Gretna, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Prince Edward County, Lord Botetourt, Brookville, Rustburg, Buckingham County, Alleghany, and Appomattox). Alone, Prince Edward County (177 points), Lord Botetourt (171 points), and Brookville (170 points) would have beaten Graham (168 points) out for the third playoff spot in Region IV; the three teams I just mentioned did NOT make the playoffs for Region III.

This could be solved in more than one way. First, a revision on the current system would work. One could easily implement a strength-of-schedule force into the VHSL points equation, by giving teams who beat opponents with higher records more points within the framework (i.e. a certain number of points for beating a 5-2 team as opposed to a 1-6 team). Therefore, a team with an 8-2 record COULD in theory be beaten out by a 7-3 team that played a rigorous schedule, and it would come down to the strength of schedule.

ALSO, I proposed a little while back scrapping the divisional system, and placing an A-AAAAA system in place (A-0 to 225 students, AA 225-450, AAA 450-800, AAAA 800-1200, AAAAA 1200+), combining the best traits of West Virginia and Tennessee football. I honestly like the lack-of-a-district system in West Virginia: the top 16 teams make it, no matter what location within the state. The same could go for Virginia, and it would be especially beneficial for the large ratio of A-AA schools southwest Virginia would have under the new system. Imagine the matchups that could possibly come in the playoffs...possibly Graham/Tazewell, or Gate City/Powell Valley, or Pulaski County/Salem for a state championship.

This is just my thought upon the system...run with it, boys!

I have always thought that the Virginia system was too complicated. Hearing all this Region this, Division that, it's not really clear.

Of course, what it breaks down to, is there are SIX different size classifications. That's too many in my opinion. Heck, here in Georgia, there are five (A through AAAAA).

Also, the whole region thing is to make sure a particular area of the state doesn't dominate...it makes sure that there are playoff teams from all four parts of the state. I do think it is flawed, especially when there are so many good small teams in SW Virginia, and some get left out with good records, while some slug from another area gets a playoff spot.

Being a WV native, I may be a little biased, but I do like the system WV uses. It makes sure the best teams are in the playoffs, no matter where they're located.

And as I said above, the whole "Division" thing sounds silly...if they're insisting on having six size classes, call them A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA, and AAAAAA. Seriously, I think 4 or 5 classes would be best.

Absolutely. Go to 5 or 6 Groups and forget the division BS.

50 or 60 per class / 12-15 per region / 2 districts of about 6-8 each. Top 2 play on. My 1 hosts your 2 and vice-versa. Flip a coin to decide who hosts regional final (I hate the 2 year rotational thing and we only want to use

ratings points to break ties).

Most certainly, VIrginia need a new playoff system. But if the VHSL can't or won't enforce schools to participate at the proper enrollment level, what difference does it make. The state is almost at the point of needing just two divisions, over 1250 and under 1250.

in a since you do have the a or aa and so on. its just in different wording div. 1 and 2 and so on. but the biggest problem is having div. 1&2 then 3&4 in the same dist. and having some dist. with 8&9 teams then some with 4 or 5 then letting the didtric. champ slide into the playoffs with a 4-6 record and a 9-1 sets home. have a dist. but even the didt. so the teams can go and get some better schedules. and get more points.

That is a good point it is possible, but Va High was district champs so i feel that they should have went considering that.

Yes u never can tell. It dont happen often but when it does its a shock. I still feel like it they should add some changes in the system.