Filberto Resigns From Weir High Grid Position

bsfoy

The Intelligencer

Wheeling News-Register

By MIKE HUGHES

http://www.news-register.net/sports/story/122202004_spt02.asp

Filberto Resigns From Weir High Grid Position

After 40 years of coaching in the Ohio Valley, Weir Red Riders head coach Tony Filberto has decided to hang up his whistle.

"I talked to the kids yesterday about it,'' Filberto said. "I turned in my letter of resignation, really my letter of retirement.

"After 40 years I think I've had enough.

"Maybe later on I'll get back into it, who knows, but as of right now I need a break.''

The announcement came a few days after a terrible incident following the conclusion of the Weir vs. Bluefield state semifinal game Saturday aftenoon.

After Weir lost in overtime to Bluefield in a game that practically had in hand, the Weir fans and players started arguing with the Weir coaching staff, in particular, Joe Filberto.

People lost their cool, went after one another and in the end, Joe Filberto was detained by the Bluefield police department.

Joe Filbeto was not arrested but was held long enough for people to cool down and clear out of Mitchell Stadium.

Filberto admitted the situation played a part in his decision, but it wasn't the main reason.

"I think this weekend had an impact and helped add a little fuel to the decision,'' Filberto said. "But when I took this job, I told (Weir principal) Marty (Hudak) that I would stay for three years minimum, a maximum of five because my son (Eric Filberto) graduated in three years.

"And right now would be a good time for me to spend some time with my wife and family.''

Filberto has been in this game for a long time, with previous stints at both Weir and Oak Glen, serving in one capactity or another as either a head coach or assistant.

He admitted that around this time each year, he, along with many other coaches, experience a little burnout, and on occasion consider hanging it up.

Just after this season, Filberto decided it was time.

"Honestly, for coaches this time of year they start to get the feeling like maybe they don't want to do it any longer,'' Filberto explained. "Then in early December, January, you re-energize yourself and want to get back into it.

"But I'm not sure at this point if I can re-energize yourself.''

This past weekend's events withstanding, Filberto has had a pretty successful run the past couple of years.

Last year, the Red Riders advanced to the state quarterfinals before losing in double overtime to eventual state runner-up Bluefield.

This year, the Riders fell in the semifinals, 21-20 in overtime to Bluefield.

Weir built a new weightroom and new team room all during Filberto's years at the school.

He has fond memories of his entire coaching career and especially the whole of this season, but the wear and tear of the year long committment a coach must make have finally taken their tole.

"The season finishes up in December and then the weight program starts,'' Filberto said. "It's a year-round committment that requires a lot of time, energy and dedication.

"And I don't think I have that right now.''

Wow. Honestly, before I read that, I expected that the OTHER Filberto would be the one to resign. He's the hothead that doesn't need to be instructing kids how to play football.

Granted, it was pretty immature for a player to be blaming a coach like that, but as the adult, the coach needs to be mature enough to walk away. Same goes for when a fan heckles a coach...the coach has to walk away and not escalate it.

Wow!!!!

That's a huge loss for a team returning a lot of talent, and with the dirty laundry they had after the Bluefield game. I also thought it would be that other coach. It'll be interesting to see how all of this affects their program next season. We all saw what happened to Oak Hill after their coach left.

Coach i'm glad to see you think of you and your family for a change,after all the hard work and time you gave to the kids at weir high for so little pay.And to be treaded so badly by the fans is pure stupid and uneducated.Players and coaches need to work out problems by themselfes Its no wonder bad things are happening at sporting events Parents need to be parents,and let our teachers and coaches do there job if you don't approve of the (parents) way things are being done then take your child home and tell them how you could run things so much better,and when that child grows up he or she will think you for enterfearing in their life and education.I did not write this to offend anyone if it has please forgive me.I'm just a person that wants to see our children get a good education and teachers an coaches be treaded like human beings.