I have a really important question

GFan02

Hey. ok last night one of our girls basketball players broke her ankle tripping over a carrol county cheerleader. we need to know the rules of cheerleaders being on the floor during games. where can i find the southwest district handbook pertaining to this? no one has one i need an internet link quick. thank you.

This is an administration issue; ;however, there are other factors to consider. One being the attendance of the game, the other being the design of the gym, etc. The only rule in the rule book is concerning unauthorized people/players/coaches on the playing court. The officials can request game management personnell to make students/fans/cheerleaders, etc to move further up in the stands if there is a chance a problem could arise. This is especially true with schools with large student sections(Rife's Radiers, Mecca Maniacs, and Bleacher Bums). In a crowded gym the unwritten rule is every man for himself. This sounds like an unfortunate incident. Game management should realize the potential for something like this and react accordingly. It is very dangerous in and around the playing court and every participant, at least by the varsity level, should be well aware of the environment each and every night.

Well, i'm not her, but she had something to say and I just copied it on here. Quote

"Hi my name is Sarah Bennett. I am the girl from Graham that broke her ankle. I just wanted to say that it was not the cheerleaders fault. A special thanks to Carrol County's trainer and my Coach for stayin with me in the ER. I will be 6-8 weeks healing from a broken fibula. Thanks for the concern"

there is a rule that says cheerleaders must be in the stands ,but i dont know if it changes do the schools gym size our not. the reason for the rule is a few years back a cheerleader had gotten hurt real bad when standing around the corner base line with the rest of her squad, she was trampled on by a couple of players going after the ball this had happend a few times before but this time was the straw that broke the camels back i guess. but you can look it up on the va. high school rules home page not sure the adress but yo could google it and im sure you will find what your looking for. wink.gif