Officials: BSC dorms boost to school, region

beaverbaseball

By BILL ARCHER

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - A city official characterized an announcement by a Huntington-area developer to transform a city motel into a full-service college dormitory "an exciting opportunity" for the city and local college students.

Bluefield Mayor R.E. "Bob" Perkinson Jr., said that the conversion of the East River Mountain Inn into a dormitory to serve students of Bluefield State College "will be a great boost" to the entire region. A Huntington-based developer, Dennis Johnson, owner of Upperclassman I, a privately-owned dormitory that serves Marshall University students, plans to convert the Cumberland Road motel into a dorm that will serve as many as 175 students.

"It's great to have a place like this," Marc Meachum, president and CEO of the Greater Bluefield Chamber of Commerce said. "Dennis Johnson really did a wonderful job with the Holiday Inn Express in Huntington," Meachum said. "We think it's phenomenal, what you're doing here."

Johnson said that Joe Hunnicutt of the BSC Research & Development Corp., "has been a driven man" as evidenced by his efforts to put all the appropriate people together to make the project a reality. Johnson also expressed his appreciation to the chamber and local business community for their support.

"Bluefield State College is an exceptional institution," Johnson said of the college. He plans to invest from $4.5-$5 million into the old East River Mountain Inn to create Upperclassman II, complete with a pool, sauna, movie theater, restaurant and other amenities. "Like a Club Med for college students," he said.

Johnson said that he hopes to break ground on the project in March and have it ready in time for the start of the fall semester. Upperclassman I will start accepting pre-leasing agreements on July 15. He said that rent includes the fully-furnished room, utilities and access to facilities all for $300 per month double occupancy or $450 per month single occupancy.

I think this will bring more Students from out of state to Bluefield State

Is it me, or does it send mixed messages to the taxpayers for the education system of West Virginia to strip BSC of most four year programs, and then follow up that decision by investing in that same state school with a full dormitory?

That seems like two conflicting policies to me.