Mike Krzyzewski Turns To American Express Card For

DURHAM, NC--Devastated by his team’s recent loss to Michigan State, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski turned to his American Express Platinum card for comfort. The grieving coach gently caressed the smooth plastic surface before using it to purchase a brand new Lincoln Navigator. The luxurious vehicle, together with the ultra-dependable American Express card, comforted the coach in his time of grief.

“Players come and go, victories and defeats pile up, but one thing that remains constant is my American Express Platinum card with unlimited spending,†said Krzyzewski while driving his new Navigator through the streets of Durham. “It has all the qualities I would want in a player: it’s loyal, dependable, efficient and intelligent. The only difference is the card won’t go on to become a moderately effective, chronically injured NBA player.â€ÂÂ

Aside from loyalty, the Amex card offers many more intangibles that basketball players can not, including guaranteed success and poise in the clutch

“When I go to make a purchase with my card, I know it’s going to come through for me,†said Krzyzewski. “It never lets me down. Even in a clutch situation like when I’m traveling in a foreign country and my wallet is stolen, I know American Express will swoop in and rescue me. One thing it won’t do is go out and shoot 4 for 14 in a dam* TOURNAMENT GAME AGAINST A LESSER OPPONENT! Thank you very much JJ Redick.â€ÂÂ

After the crushing loss, Coach K addressed his team in the locker room and gave them a heartfelt speech about the importance of team play, persistence, and American Express’s zero percent APR for the first six months.

“Kids, whether you win these games or lose them, the important thing is that you grow as a person,†said an emotional Krzyzewski as his players sat in rapt attention. “The important things in life are teamwork, effort and personal integrity. Take American Express for example. These guys offer 5 percent cash back on all purchases, frequent flier mileage, and a plethora of great gift ideas. Do they have to? No, they don’t have to. They’re one of the most profitable corporations in the world. They could sit on their hands and count their money, but instead they choose to go that extra mile for the consumer, and that’s why I say ‘My life, my card.’ Guys, if you learn one thing from me as you go out into the world, make it this: My life isn’t about playing games. That’s why my card is American Express.â€ÂÂ

After the speech, Krzyzewski went into his office and sat alone for hours pondering what he could’ve done differently. In the throes of despair he picked up the phone and dialed the number of the American Express customer service desk.

“Hello, welcome to the American Express customer service desk,†said the computerized voice. “You’re call is important to us and will be answered in the order it is received. Calls may me monitored to assure highest quality service.â€ÂÂ

“Highest Quality Service,†Krzyzewski repeated. “Highest Quality Service. Talk about having their priorities in the right place. This faceless mega-corporation is a shining example of all that is pure and true in the world.â€ÂÂ

After a brief, two-minute wait, Coach K was connected with Sheila, one of American Express’s courteous and helpful customer service reps, who comforted him by describing the company’s newest products and services.

“Talking to someone like Sheila always picks me up a little,†Krzyzewski said. “Just to know that there is a corporation out there willing to offer its customers membership rewards, low interest rates, and quality financial service advice--that, to me, is more important than winning some meaningless trophy. I just hope my kids understand that. Strong values, morals, decency, and respectâ€â€Âthose are the things that define one’s life. That, and good credit. If you don’t have that, you’re pretty much f'up.

http://www.thebrushback.com/mikekryz_full.htm

"If [Krzyzewski] wants to come out and say 'Get a MasterCard. That's what I use when I buy all my stuff,' that's fine," said a former ACC coach. "But to get on there and say 'I teach my players this and that, and I want them to be successful in life,' I think that's a recruiting pitch."

• 2 weeks later...

What is the point of that? No player is going to watch that and say "wow he uses ameican express card to?, awesome maybe i should join his team and we can go shopping, since we use the same card and all"....Nobody does that, i mean its simple you either like duke or you dont. and the fact he's doing a commercial isint going to change somebody's opinion...

You know Congrats on your team winning the Nat'l championship, but you can let it go now, Duke had a great season(obviously not as good as NC) but the simple fact is Coach K is a living legend,one of, if the the greatest college coach of all time, and if you can get him on board to say that he uses your product, then its practically money in the bank. On the flip of that for Coach K, I am pretty sure he got paid a couple million for doing that commercial, but he is a modest man even with all his success, so Im pretty sure he was telling the truth not trying to pitch a recruiting line, Duke is a basketball factory the simple word "DUKE" is enough to make any high school player stop and think about playing there, he doesnt need a commercial(especially a 'credit card' commercial) to help his recruiting, but hey Im sure when ol Roy down in NC begins to win like Coach K, he'll be doing one too dont worry. wink.gif

UNC just won a nat'l championship and they didn't have to use a credit card commerical to aid them in recruiting either [*]2005 NCAA Basketball National Champions - North Carolina Tar Heels

[ QUOTE ]

UNC just won a nat'l championship and they didn't have to use a credit card commerical to aid them in recruiting either

[/ QUOTE ]

That was really stupid man, for 1 that commercial didnt even come out till March Madness Time, and its not like players can go join the team when-ever they feel like it. Players want to go to duke because they know the history of the school and know the sucess of winning they've had. Not because of some stupid credit card commercial...

So please stop crying about American Express picking Coach K over any other Coach in the country to do this commerical...