49ers have big plans for WVU's Marshall

Posted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 - 09:56:27 pm EDT

By The Associated Press

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - Though Rasheed Marshall was a star quarterback at West Virginia, he'll get to play several different roles with the San Francisco 49ers.

Marshall was the Big East's offensive player of the year last season while leading the Mountaineers to the Gator Bowl, but he decided to participate in the NFL combine as a receiver - and though he's still raw as a pass-catcher, he attracted San Francisco's interest with his athleticism. The 49ers chose him with their second pick in the fifth round.

The 49ers still haven't settled on all the ways they plan to use him next season, but he'll study his new position under Jerry Sullivan, the Niners' respected new receivers coach. Marshall also will get a chance to return kicks - and he might even take a few snaps.

"He's very good with the ball in his hands, and it's just a matter of where we get it to him," Nolan said. "There's more to (playing receiver) than just running down the field, turning and catching the ball."

Marshall hopes he can follow in the footsteps of Antwaan Randle-El and Kordell Stewart, who starred in multiple roles for his hometown Pittsburgh Steelers in recent years. Marshall also is a friend of Hines Ward, the Steelers' Pro Bowl receiver who was a collegiate quarterback at Georgia.

"I'm a Pittsburgh guy, and they kind of guided me along," Marshall said.

Marshall played against San Francisco running back Kevan Barlow in high school while growing up in Pittsburgh, and he also knows Niners cornerback Shawntae Spencer, another Steel City native.

Though Marshall hasn't returned kickoffs since prep school, Nolan expects him to be a returner. Nolan and offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy already have been scheming possible ways to use Marshall behind center for a handful of plays every game.

"A lot of teams told me they didn't want to leave the quarterback situation out of the picture," Marshall said. "I've been a quarterback all my life. That's a great opportunity for me. It's just another way of throwing a curveball to the defense."

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/04/25/sports/03monmarshall.txt